• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Recce upper at HighCaliberSales....

KJO

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2006
Freedom, Indiana
I'd been toying with putting together a Recce model of our MK12 upper and had a couple of our Douglas barrels cut and contoured for a 16" mid-length gas system a few months ago. Got a cpl KAC URX3's and a little time recently and put one together.....

These are a few workbench pictures -- one with OpsInc brake and collar and the other with the KAC NT4 QD compensator. As I am sure you will all agree the URX3 really goes well with the smaller/lighter concept of the Recce rifle. Originally, I thought I'd put the MK12 KAC FF rail on this but, now, not sure why I'd do that over the 3 (unless a customer just wants the rail space or likes the looks better....).

I'm thinking I'll be having some more 16" barrels made as I think this will be a popular upper.

Next step is scope consideration -- I'm thinking the NF 1-4x24 (although the new Leupold is attractive I'm not certain the pricing justifies the purchase for me). I think the 1-4 will give me what I want within the ranges I think this rifle is designed for.

Previously, for CQB/distance options I've tried the T1 off the side of the NF2.5-10 and, although it works, I did not like the added weight.

IMG_0420_2.jpg

IMG_0425_2.jpg

IMG_0427.jpg

IMG_0428.jpg

Re: New Recce upper at HighCaliberSales....

yeah i like it man, have you tried the razor 1-4? I like it alot and would work as well.

i think a nice surefire brake on that and it would be about what i'm goin to build next for myself.

Thanks Joe,

Yeah the Surefire would sure work well -- having the Ops and the KAC supps on hand makes one of the above brakes the right choice for me.

I'll look at the razor -- being a NF dealer kind of pushes me in that direction.... but I'm always looking to be educated...

K

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KJO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks Joe,

I'll look at the razor -- being a NF dealer kind of pushes me in that direction.... but I'm always looking to be educated...

K </div></div>

NO....please run the NF 1-4 and let me know your thoughts
smile.gif
. I have a 2.5-10 on my 18" compass lake which is one of my favorite optics. but i've really been interested in seeing the 1-4. Just seems more practical for hunting applications and anything inside say 400.

in all seriousness though, i was somewhat considering running a red dot type setup on my 2.5-10 like you did. But the cost, weight and added crap sticking off my rifle stopped me. if you do run a NF 1-4 on that setup i would love to hear your thoughts.

kevin

Great job pal, although I have a slightly diff. take on these guns since I'm a mrp gun, I must say that it's very exciting to see your outfit put this particular gun out....in conjunction with also your existing very popular mk 12 uppers. The URXIII is the rail I would 100% want if I wasn't again a mrp gun, great move there for sure.

Hopefully I'm not imposing on your thread but this is arguably my biggest passion within the world of AR's, essentially the complete study of the SPR/Recce. I have always believed that you cannot really have a SPR or now MK12 convo w/o mentioning the Recce or at least you can't around folks that are big into this subject. The history and lineage of where these awesome guns came from is prob. not purposefully secret but nonetheless very hard to obtain in terms of how it all went down in the beginning and how conclusion were reached(how were they evaluated..in the field, if so by whom, and then what was their feedback or suggestion for which one to go with, etc.) up to the point that the seal recon rifle was sidelined completely and the SPR Receiver program was green lighted which has now evolved all the way to the MK 12 Mod 1 guns.

Learning or trying to learn as best as I can about the true blue lineage behind the Seal Recon Rifle and the Original SPR receiver program has proved to be a fruitless task by in large. The one or two frogs I received direct info on this voiced that they preferred the Recce or as they called it the "sniper m4" IIrc to the now infamous MK 12 mod rifles that by many accounts have basically winning the job over the Recce based on direct end user feedback concluding the SPR receiver was the better rifle and direction to move in vs the recce that from my personal results is damn near equally capable and accurate of a rifle all the way to a bit shy of 900yds where I drew my personal line as it's dicey to makes "dings" on the target or even impossible in relatively nice conditions with max winds of 20mph...it's beyond frustrating when you reach that envelope.

I could go on and on talking shop in regards to these two world beating rifles, I have collected a great deal of my thoughts and significant amt's of my documentation in terms of testing these two side by side in a thread I posted on another forum that isn't barfcom and deals in these subject matters. Just to share my take or spec's I used for both guns: mrp rifle length chassis, nxs compacts/adm mounts, same bipod/adm mount setup, a menu of diff. GA triggers to include my favorite for these type of rifles which is the SD-E's, same stocks..UBR's. So basically when I started this voyage way back before I had the first part for either gun I wanted to reduce my only major variable to speak of to be the 2" in barrel length and the turned down Recce profile that uses the exact same blank as the 18" which are Rock 5R SS SPR blanks. The x32 is just so much more forgiving esp. @ 10x over the x24 and that was the one variable of size that popped up that I didn't acct. for or know would be occurring. Not to say I even prefer the x32 over the x24 as I would never pick a child of mine as my favorite over the other:)

Anyway, I hope you guys make alot of these, and then sell the ever living hell outta them as folks need to understand that your recce is gonna be as close to the concept as possible while not being ignorant to the much better options on the table today vs. even 10yrs ago...aka you using the badass URXIII now vs. an old school kac rail IIrc that was on the original ones. Finally an AR that is named a Recce from the mfg that is actually a damn recce, so many folks have desecrated the recce concept by naming just about every type of AR under the sun that isn't even close to a recce...a recce.

Didn't want to post a pic of complete guns to avoid potentially imposing on this thread but I will contribute an obligatory SPR/Recce pic, just broken down:)

DSC00616-1.jpg

eta...I ran the LT724/T-1 on both these guns for about a yr. and a half up until several months ago, and I loved the combo...I can never power down a variable even w. a cattail faster than I can roll a sopmod slightly on my cheek while I cant my lead wrist or the rifle bringing the 45 offset T1 up for that unbeatable speed that is yielded from a 1x rds vs. even the 1-4x's when they are set to 1x. I played w. a few 1-4x's to include a tr21 and tr24, but ultimately just felt they kinda left me always wanting either a true rds for near...or a true mid powered variable scope for any kinda distance or precision work. I'm a big fan though of NXS compacts and the options they feature..specifically the LV ret. which I absolutely love and have even heard guys downrange have been requesting it some in their navspec nxs units according my nearest NF rep. Thought that was kinda cool, but then again it was made to be a perfect hunting optic. That's my small take on the glass part of your great posting.

eta... I will make an announcement in my thread on the other place in regards this new exciting recce option as well.

Kevin-

Another very capable scope option would definitely be the Schmidt and Bender 1-8x24 short dot.

Too bad me and my friend couldn't get those mk262 blems from you but this... I need to give my friend the heads up! PM me with a price for the two (ops inc and KAC fh) with the URX3 and/or KAC mk12 FF when you have the time.
smile.gif

Thanks!

Gentlemen all,

Thanks for the kind words and the thoughtful replies.

Trident, thanks a lot for your thoughts -- obviously well thought out/researched. I am pleased to have you add some perspective and personal experience to the use of the 2 similar configurations. Similar but remarkably different when it comes to "handiness" (in buildings, in and out of vehicles....). Your examination of what the trade offs are, one versus the other, deserve serious consideration by the student of this weapon.

As you mentioned, the history/real story of the development of the MK12 is not well documented -- we are working on correcting that. Hopefully by the end of the year; early next we will get those details in print. This has been a goal/project of mine, as well.

In the meantime, I am going to get some more barrels cut to Recce style and put together some more of these -- the drive to buy the MK12 comes, a lot, from the lore surrounding the rifle (Lone Survivor,...). The drive to buy the Recce? That's going to have to come from some thought -- from some personal reasoning, some soul searching -- what do I want this rifle for and will the Recce mod make more sense for my uses?

The Recce is made from the "same" parts as the MK12 so the costs (read that expensive) are the same. Why not just get the MK12? That is the question to be answered and your discussion offers a lot of food for thought as a customer struggles with a decision.....

I did not mention it earlier when discussing my scope issue but wanted to add that, previously, I have used both the S&B short dot and the NF 1-4 -- both great scopes. I could not justify, for me, the cost of the SB over the NF and sold the SB -- kept the NF. Used he NF for a cpl years on a gun I used for some 3 gun matches. My issue with that scope was eye relief. If all of the stages were shot from the offhand, no problem. Those pesky course designers asked us to shoot from some awkward positions and trying to find the reticle from roll over prone took some effort/time. The RDS is the clear choice for ease of getting "on target" quickly. So, once again, I struggle with "trade offs"; "mission drives the gear train" issues.......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KJO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gentlemen all,

Thanks for the kind words and the thoughtful replies.

Trident, thanks a lot for your thoughts -- obviously well thought out/researched. I am pleased to have you add some perspective and personal experience to the use of the 2 similar configurations. Similar but remarkably different when it comes to "handiness" (in buildings, in and out of vehicles....). Your examination of what the trade offs are, one versus the other, deserve serious consideration by the student of this weapon.

<span style="color: #000099">While I'm certainly a diehard precision AR pupil, I'm far from any kind of expert on the subject just for the record. The super cool history and development behind these guns, and then the sheer mind blowing performance of these rifles and their ability to fully tap out the performance envelope of the 5.56 at LR is what hooked the hell outta of me. Imho, these two world beating config's spelled the death of the old timer's notion that one had to hump a heavy ass rifle with a 20" + barrel if any kinda precision or LR work was needed.

Again, for some...this topic or these two totally tweaked out rifles is overkill for the shooting they do, or plan to do, and they don't desire chasing the pinnacle of modern day AR design and then the performance gains yielded by them big or small.

However, for the true AR connoisseur or guy in the field that truly needs every bit of extra gained performance, your announcement is straight hi octane for the pursuit of advancing and understanding these two rifle concept's/builds and the fact that irregardless of how much these guns seem to be redundant upon each other, they are no doubt two different animals. These two rifles totally hump/handle differently, bed differently when in firing position(SPR "beds" down better in prone vs. the recce). They also differ on more nuanced things like barrel heat and the translated effects it has on accuracy(SPR can handle higher sustain rates of fire before the accuracy or shots start to significantly open up over the recce rifle), or the way these two guns actual feel different when shooting side by side(as in the SPR is so smooth it puts you to sleep, the recce...not so much)
</span>

As you mentioned, the history/real story of the development of the MK12 is not well documented -- we are working on correcting that. Hopefully by the end of the year; early next we will get those details in print. This has been a goal/project of mine, as well.

<span style="color: #000099">OUTSTANDING...what else can I say other then I cannot wait to see what you put together.</span>

In the meantime, I am going to get some more barrels cut to Recce style and put together some more of these -- the drive to buy the MK12 comes, a lot, from the lore surrounding the rifle (Lone Survivor,...). The drive to buy the Recce? That's going to have to come from some thought -- from some personal reasoning, some soul searching -- what do I want this rifle for and will the Recce mod make more sense for my uses?

<span style="color: #000099">Quite simply, imho..the Recce has every single bit as much merit for being produced as it's bigger brother the SPR/MK12 has for it's current existence. </span>

The Recce is made from the "same" parts as the MK12 so the costs (read that expensive) are the same. Why not just get the MK12? That is the question to be answered and your discussion offers a lot of food for thought as a customer struggles with a decision.....

<span style="color: #000099">Flip it around....why buy the heavier, far less handy SPR when the sleek and mean Recce can dominate the same amt. of real estate in the same amt. of relative accuracy? I only devil's advocate as it's so damn easy to do with these rifles and why I love the study of them. I flip flop on being a Recce man or a SPR man more than modern day politician..literally back and forth. Now I just fall under that category of "how can a parent pick a favorite child when you love them equally". You are putting something out in the market that is basically totally unique given these future Recce models of yours are tack drivers that correlate to your existing Mk 12 uppers as much as possible, and then with as much "true to concept" specs as possible. I already know or believe those things, obviously that is why I got quite the thrill from seeing this post, but others will not and hopefully will do their homework and make these a huge success for you guys</span>

I did not mention it earlier when discussing my scope issue but wanted to add that, previously, I have used both the S&B short dot and the NF 1-4 -- both great scopes. I could not justify, for me, the cost of the SB over the NF and sold the SB -- kept the NF. Used he NF for a cpl years on a gun I used for some 3 gun matches. My issue with that scope was eye relief. If all of the stages were shot from the offhand, no problem. Those pesky course designers asked us to shoot from some awkward positions and trying to find the reticle from roll over prone took some effort/time. The RDS is the clear choice for ease of getting "on target" quickly. So, once again, I struggle with "trade offs"; "mission drives the gear train" issues.......

<span style="color: #000099">No argument there brother, that is indeed the one flaw to running the offset 1x mini rds secondary type setups. I would say you struggle with "trade offs" because your truly educated on the fact that there is never a free lunch in the AR/Kit world, and the simple principal that the mission will always define the gear. There just isn't one stick or rifle that you can kick doors down with and exit vehicles with, while then busting out shots at 600-800yds with pinpoint accuracy. The AR is so modular and lends itself to so many different faces that I would venture a guess that if one is not constantly debating or struggling over these trade offs, they aren't utilizing the awesome ability and nature of the AR platform. I do love that baby nxs, but again even though I want to love the 1-4x concept, my practice with them has always ultimately made them short stays on top of my rifles.</span>

</div></div>

This is very cool! I like it a lot. Any possibilities of being able to buy just a recce barrel?

Trident,

I do enjoy reading your thoughts -- well expressed! I am in your choir re the versatility of these platforms... it just doesn't get much more fun then taking these out to shoot. For me, especially when I can get out to SD and get some distance....

Face to face conversation over a cup of coffee would be a good thing...... or over something more spirited!

Salmonaxe -- sure thing -- these will be available, as is the MK12 barrel. It will be a few months....

I had the pleasure of meeting KJO in person the other evening and handling several of the uppers and a Mk13 in person. Great guy, great gear and I plan to start putting some change back here and there for some HCS gear.

Thanks for the kind words Cory -- was a pleasure meeting you and yours, as well and to, finally, put a face with that name that Alan keeps tossing out there....

Kevin

nice config Kevin. I like it. Do you have a picture with the full Recce rifle ( upper + lower assembled ) ? thanks.

G

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KJO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Trident,

I do enjoy reading your thoughts -- well expressed! I am in your choir re the versatility of these platforms... it just doesn't get much more fun then taking these out to shoot. For me, especially when I can get out to SD and get some distance....

Face to face conversation over a cup of coffee would be a good thing...... or over something more spirited!

Salmonaxe -- sure thing -- these will be available, as is the MK12 barrel. It will be a few months....

</div></div>

Awesome! I've got a 16" upper that just hasn't been shooting right, and this would be perfect for that. Also would get to use my 12th.

sorry for the delay..thought I'd taken care of this....

Price point is at the cost of a MK12 upper as the parts are, essentially, the same .... you can influence the final by choice of compensator/brake, buis.......

IMG_0446.jpg

IMG_0442.jpg

IMG_0438.jpg

IMG_0434.jpg

IMG_0433.jpg

Holy shit that is BEAUTIFUL....wowsers!

Job extremely well done sir!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KJO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sorry for the delay..thought I'd taken care of this....

Price point is at the cost of a MK12 upper as the parts are, essentially, the same .... you can influence the final by choice of compensator/brake, buis.......

IMG_0446.jpg

IMG_0442.jpg

IMG_0438.jpg

IMG_0434.jpg

IMG_0433.jpg
</div></div>

Hey that looks just like the one I got today from the Fed Ex man, K, I almost dont want to shoot it, its soooooooooooo beautiful!!!! Its a work of art!!!! You do amazing work!!! Thanks agin and it is the fricken best upper I own, or seen for that matter!
Thanks again!!!
ETA, Now I need you to make my Mod 0, look that good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KJO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
IMG_0442.jpg
</div></div>

Kevin whats the story with the MK18 in the background with the KAC folding front sight?? Looks like KAC's factory SBR!! I am assuming this is an MOD 1 option HCS can do. Can you give or pm the specs of this particular build.

Thanks

The SBR in the background (good eyes...!) is a build for a customer...

He supplied the front site and the barrel -- we assembled it and function fired.

I do not know where he got the blk/site but I'll ask...

K

Mike,

....it just could be yours....;-)

I am very pleased that you are pleased... not only looks great but handles great!

I can't wait to get some more barrels and make one I can keep for myself!

K

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KJO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mike,

....it just could be yours....;-)

I am very pleased that you are pleased... not only looks great but handles great!

I can't wait to get some more barrels and make one I can keep for myself!

K </div></div>

You need to! Hey did you recieve my last email? Had a couple optic questions and a SPR Mod 0 question. BTW, Iam beyond pleased, its going to allow for some serious safe clearing!
Thanks again!!!!