• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New reloader hornady LNL AP

Vossman5

Private
Minuteman
May 24, 2020
I've been doing a lot of research on figuring out where to get started with reloading, but ran across, what I feel is a great deal on a new LNL AP.
I haven't set it up or anything yet, still getting all the dies and other needed equipment. What I've noticed as a downside, is the powder measure not giving great consistency, and the shell plate cost vs shell holders of turret/single stage presses.

So my question is for those that have used the LNL AP is there a better powder dispenser that you can set up to work with the press?

Are small base dies required over full length dies for auto rifles? I've gotten so many different answers from many different sources.

Also will be looking for die sets in very common and price gouged calibers
9mm
223/5.56
25-06 ai
6.5 creedmoor
30-06

Information is what I'm after, but equipment is also on the books

So my question is for those that have used the LNL AP is there a better powder dispenser that you can set up to work with the press?

Are small base dies required over full length dies for auto rifles? I've gotten so many different answers from many different sources.

1, Define better, and how much you are willing to pay. You could rig a promethius to drop powder into a funnel where the powder drop is now, but that is pricy. I replaced the dillon powder meter with an Autotrickler and a funnel - but I will still use the powder measure for ball powders.

2, Not necessarily. A SB die is required if the case is blown out near the case head/web - usually from machine gun chambers. In most cases, a standard die does just fine. If it doesn't, that's when you move to a SB die.

It took me a while to get my powder measures (2) set up, but once done, they drop within 0.1grain very consistently. I do only use them for pistol and 300 blk. Get the appropriated micrometer metering assembly and it is much easier to make adjustments.
Right now, the price of shell plates is through the roof. You are going to either have to pay up or wait. During normal times I don't think the price is to bad. They are 5 shell holders in one plate, so I expect the price to be more than a shell holder.
I haven't needed to use any small base dies. 300 blk is the only rifle I've loaded for and it is all subsonic.
Best advice I can give is take your time and get it set up right. Don't get in a hurry. Mine runs like a top if I spray a little one shot on the cases prior to loading. It makes the process run a lot smoother, less sticky, if you will.

Like stated above, most FL dies will be fine for loading auto ammo, I personally never had a problem. You can add SB if needed.
The powder thrower on the AP is powder dependent, ball powder meters well.
Stick powder, 4350 or varget no so good.
By not so good depends on what you after, plinking ammo yes will work. For consistency no, I’m talking .5 grains either side of desired.
Just be careful with charge weights with it, drop verify, drop verify and repeat...

1, Define better, and how much you are willing to pay. You could rig a promethius to drop powder into a funnel where the powder drop is now, but that is pricy. I replaced the dillon powder meter with an Autotrickler and a funnel - but I will still use the powder measure for ball powders.

2, Not necessarily. A SB die is required if the case is blown out near the case head/web - usually from machine gun chambers. In most cases, a standard die does just fine. If it doesn't, that's when you move to a SB die.
1 more accurate/consistent. Like you did, a funnel and different device. I haven't put the press together yet, because no reason, no powder or pills and no empty brass currently
2 I've never heard that explanation, very helpful and informative. I couldn't figure out why a standard full length resize die wouldn't work.

It took me a while to get my powder measures (2) set up, but once done, they drop within 0.1grain very consistently. I do only use them for pistol and 300 blk. Get the appropriated micrometer metering assembly and it is much easier to make adjustments.
Right now, the price of shell plates is through the roof. You are going to either have to pay up or wait. During normal times I don't think the price is to bad. They are 5 shell holders in one plate, so I expect the price to be more than a shell holder.
I haven't needed to use any small base dies. 300 blk is the only rifle I've loaded for and it is all subsonic.
Best advice I can give is take your time and get it set up right. Don't get in a hurry. Mine runs like a top if I spray a little one shot on the cases prior to loading. It makes the process run a lot smoother, less sticky, if you will.
I know it would end up costing more, but would you consider it worth getting a separate meter for each caliber, or are they easy/quick to change the calibration?
And I'm not in any hurry, I can wait until the prices are better, or they come in stock at the LGS or other place

I don't see the need for a separate measure for each caliber. I already had one when I got my AP. I use them for quick powder changes for different loads during a loading session. They are easy to adjust. The micrometer makes it quicker because you have reference marks when making adjustments. I write down the settings for each load. This way, I'm at least very close, when I have to change from one charge weight to another.

Reactions: Vossman5