• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New reloader, made a mistake

cookie91/38

Private
Minuteman
Sep 15, 2013
murrieta, California
Hey guys,

Just got into reloading with a RCBS Rockchucker master kit, and so far I love it. Anyways, the other night I went to seat my first bullet(dummy round), and stupid me had the seater die down too far, and I lodged the bullet in the die, and smashed the brass down a little. I quickly realized why that happened, adjusted and was able to pull the bullet out with a pair of tweezers. My question is, did I knock the seater of axis/mess it up? Ive made more rounds since then, and I swear they look a smidge off(based on how much cannelure I can see above the brass. Im reloading for 308 and am using 150gr FMJ Hornady bullets. Thanks a lot in advance, Evan

Also, this is once fired brass, and I have not trimmed it since it wasn't above Max length. Could the case mouth be a little uneven since i haven't trimmed it, but have debarred/chamfered it?

+1 on what Kentucky said. Unscrew the top and take out the seater and inspect that. I doubt there is any damage. If so, you could tell by comparing it to another seater. The cannelure could appear to not be absolutely square if you did not trim. Take it apart, and give it a good look over, wipe it down & inspect that thing.

Take a loaded round and roll it on a flat surface, if you notice the bullet tip wobble much at all things are screwed up somewhere.