• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Reloading Bench--bolt to concrete

DocRDS

Head Maffs Monkey
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2012
The Great Beyond
New House.

Now I have a basement and am out of the garage. What are the pros/cons of bolting a bench to the concrete wall in basement? I'm assuming that's what people do, but I don't actually know. Not sure on the build/buy as my bro is handy with wood, and I'm not bad--but starting from scratch. I mostly do single stage but as I fire up again, multistage pistol is prob in future.

I would not go into the concrete wall. I would level it real good, to make sure near equal weight is on the legs, then I would put 500 lbs or so on the bottom shelf of it, then it feels like its a giant rock and doesn't move at all.

New House.

Now I have a basement and am out of the garage. What are the pros/cons of bolting a bench to the concrete wall in basement? I'm assuming that's what people do, but I don't actually know. Not sure on the build/buy as my bro is handy with wood, and I'm not bad--but starting from scratch. I mostly do single stage but as I fire up again, multistage pistol is prob in future.
I run a Spolar progressive w hydro for shot shell and ran some tapcons into the block wall of my garage. It ain’t moved in 23 years. Lol

If I ever move (and at almost 70 that’s a horrifying idea) we will have to take the benches apart as I don’t think I’ll be able to back those tapcons out.

Congrats on your new home. May it keep you safe, warm, and dry for many years.

Last edited:
I would not go into the concrete wall. I would level it real good, to make sure near equal weight is on the legs, then I would put 500 lbs or so on the bottom shelf of it, then it feels like its a giant rock and doesn't move at all.
Any ideas of what to use as weights? Sandbags?

Depends on the construction of the walls, the floors, and your bench, to trade off which approach is the best.

Sometimes, cinderblock walls can be a variable that means the floor can be a better (higher margin) option in terms of placing fasteners.

The dead weight option mentioned above is worth considering since it is the least destructive and most reversible if it doesn't work or you decide to move the bench. A wider base will turn dead weight into many Ft*Lbs of preload to the floor. It just takes a lot of weight to equal the preload and stiffness of a well placed fastener, but it isn't hard to find a lot of dead weight when you consider water jugs or bags of shot or projectiles.

Keep in mind, many folks who are in apartments and such, and those of us who load in the field, manage to load on free standing portable reloading tables.

I am guilty of over-building the home loading bench in the case where a vice or anvil needs to take pounding force or high torque for other reasons than loading or weighing.

I live in earthquake country and my building will come down but my loading bench will probably hold it up... It sounds like between the two of you, it will be no problem.

Reactions: DocRDS
Do what your situation dictates. I load on a coffee table thats sitting on carpet. I dont have any issues.

I run a Spolar progressive w hydro for shot shell and ran some tapcons into the block wall of my garage. It ain’t moved in 23 years. Lol

If I ever move (and at almost 70 that’s a horrifying idea) we will have to take the benches apart as I don’t think I’ll be able to back those tapcons out.

Congrats on your new home. May it keep you safe, warm, and dry for many years.
Another vote for Tapcons . Drill a hole and sink a screw , it's that simple .

Reactions: Baron23
My reloading bench has a study shelf underneath where I store ammo cans. The ballast underneath weighs enough to plant the table firmly.

If it’s being built, build it so it’s stable without having to be anchored or weighed down.

The backstroke for priming is the part that moves most benches.

Any ideas of what to use as weights? Sandbags?
Personally, I use about 60,000 projectiles. Which is about 850 lbs. I am using thick, hardwood plywood as the top of table, and also a mid shelf, with steel posts, with 2x4 cross beams. Its extremely sturdy and rigid. I don't like going into walls for several reasons. One is it looks like hell when you move, and another is, the studs can deteriorate or cause cracks over time.

could be cool concrete counter tops are really nice or at least they can be why not a work top . I went with a burnt wood idea
Shou Sugi Ban and while i really should have tried it on something else first it still turned out pretty nice . best of luck with how ever you decide to do yours .

This is what I did on my first bench and it worked great. Just put bullets and extra equipment on the bottom shelf.

Personally, I use about 60,000 projectiles. Which is about 850 lbs. I am using thick, hardwood plywood as the top of table, and also a mid shelf, with steel posts, with 2x4 cross beams. Its extremely sturdy and rigid. I don't like going into walls for several reasons. One is it looks like hell when you move, and another is, the studs can deteriorate or cause cracks over time.
Challenge Accepted! lol I'm still new to reloading but yeah 60k sounds about right once I get the move completed and up and running. Thanks for the tips.