• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Rem 700 XCR! Custom guns? Why bother!

TattooBlade

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2011
San Antonio, TX
Ok, I know that title will cause some heartburn with some; but let me start by saying I've owned plenty of custom guns. I've owned GAP, Wilson Combat, Ed Brown, Nighhawk and more. Over time however I sold all my high end guns because funds were tight and other projects needed to get funded.

I've been missing shooting long range so I decided it was time to jump back in. I didn't have the funds to go all out and get another GAP, which I still want, but I had enough that I didn't need to go entry level either.

After reading the boards and talking to friends for months I decided to pick up a Rem 700 XCR Tactical Compact and top her with a Trijicon Accupoint 5x20x50. Having a couple ACOGs and owning Nightforce in the past, and knowing that Nightforce makes the glass for Tricons, I decided the cost savings would be fine. The XCR already comes with Remingtons version of Cerekote and it gets great reviews. Plus is has a the 40x trigger, which I can tell is is better than the tuned custom trigger I had on my GAP! I also threw on a Harris bipod. After talking with some pros in the optics field I decided on a two piece base versus the one piece all-the-rage base. Two piece actually still provides a better mounting surface and unless you just care about looks (I like the way the one piece looks) and really are more concerned about performace, which I am, than that's the way to go.

So, now it was time for the range trip and a break-in and zeroing session all in one. I am of the school of two shots and clean for about the first 20 rounds and then 3-5 shots and clean for the next 30 and call it good.

After a quick bore site I was almost dead on so the zero part was nice and easy.

The Accupoint is simply an amazing scope. Crystal clear, reliable controls and no issues of any kind. Clearer than any of my Leupolds and as clear as my previous Nightforces. Each click did what it was suppose to do and 1/4 moa was a 1/4 moa without issue. I have the mil dot with green center dot recticle which shines just right and makes keeping shots on top of each other an breeze. Which brings me to the XCR.

I was shooting 168 Fed SMKBTHP at 100 yards. When I did my part, I was putting holes in holes, literally. 1/2 inch groups were then norm with this stock 1-12 twist Remmy. That's as good as I could ever shoot my GAP for 1/3 the cost! I am stoked! The only thing I plan to change is to add a B/O oversized bolt knob and she will be set.

Do I hate customs? Of course not. But as a few reputable shooters told me; back in the day when companies were putting out junk, you went to a custom guy to get really good stuff. Now, most companies are putting out great products so custom guns only provide certain benefits.

Will I own another GAP? Sure I will, when I can afford one. But if you're on the fence and want to get into the long range game, don't think you can't with a stock gun. Your optic is really what counts as it will bring out the best in your shooting and your ability to use your gun to its full potential. My Trijicon wasn't cheap, but it's half the cost of a Nightforce and its batteries will never run out!

Just food for thought ladies. I will try to get some pics posted soon. Now get out there and shoot!

Re: New Rem 700 XCR! Custom guns? Why bother!

I 100% agree, especially with the 308s. There are guns out there, including the gun you bought that shoot 98% as good as the customs I had. (Not counting the 6mms and BR rigs off a bench) but shooting prone with a bipod, I shot with a group of guys, and they all had Rock, Brux, and Bartlein brrls. We only shot to 300 that day I had my 5R, and I held my own. My average was .1-.2" away from what they were shooting, and I shot their guns, and YES the mcm's and Manners fely better than the hsp on my 5r, but I could shoot mine just as good as theirs. If I had the $ to get a custom it would be a GAP for sure, but to those that have these factory guns, can compete with some shooters with custom guns.
A newbie with a GAP v/s a Vet with an XCR, I believe the Vet will shoot better groups.
kinda like when I bought $1200 golf clubs after 2 years of golfing, and being spanked by my Uncle, who had some Walmart Spaldings, and shot a 70, and me and my Calloways shot an 89. It's more the guy behind the stock, and on here their are some actual shooters unlike blah blah 15.com.
But truth is YES I almost had a GAP 10, and a BAT 6mmBR, but backed out on the GAP due to job, and sold my 3 year build back to a smith for less than I had in it. I still have customs, and hope I get to keep em, but that will depend on my job future, and this economy.

It is hard to beat Trijicon for the price.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TattooBlade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok, I know that title will cause some heartburn with some; but let me start by saying I've owned plenty of custom guns. I've owned GAP, Wilson Combat, Ed Brown, Nighhawk and more. Over time however I sold all my high end guns because funds were tight and other projects needed to get funded.

I've been missing shooting long range so I decided it was time to jump back in. I didn't have the funds to go all out and get another GAP, which I still want, but I had enough that I didn't need to go entry level either.

After reading the boards and talking to friends for months I decided to pick up a Rem 700 XCR Tactical Compact and top her with a Trijicon Accupoint 5x20x50. Having a couple ACOGs and owning Nightforce in the past, and knowing that Nightforce makes the glass for Tricons, I decided the cost savings would be fine. The XCR already comes with Remingtons version of Cerekote and it gets great reviews. Plus is has a the 40x trigger, which I can tell is is better than the tuned custom trigger I had on my GAP! I also threw on a Harris bipod. After talking with some pros in the optics field I decided on a two piece base versus the one piece all-the-rage base. Two piece actually still provides a better mounting surface and unless you just care about looks (I like the way the one piece looks) and really are more concerned about performace, which I am, than that's the way to go.

So, now it was time for the range trip and a break-in and zeroing session all in one. I am of the school of two shots and clean for about the first 20 rounds and then 3-5 shots and clean for the next 30 and call it good.

After a quick bore site I was almost dead on so the zero part was nice and easy.

The Accupoint is simply an amazing scope. Crystal clear, reliable controls and no issues of any kind. Clearer than any of my Leupolds and as clear as my previous Nightforces. Each click did what it was suppose to do and 1/4 moa was a 1/4 moa without issue. I have the mil dot with green center dot recticle which shines just right and makes keeping shots on top of each other an breeze. Which brings me to the XCR.

I was shooting 168 Fed SMKBTHP at 100 yards. When I did my part, I was putting holes in holes, literally. 1/2 inch groups were then norm with this stock 1-12 twist Remmy. That's as good as I could ever shoot my GAP for 1/3 the cost! I am stoked! The only thing I plan to change is to add a B/O oversized bolt knob and she will be set.

Do I hate customs? Of course not. But as a few reputable shooters told me; back in the day when companies were putting out junk, you went to a custom guy to get really good stuff. Now, most companies are putting out great products so custom guns only provide certain benefits.

Will I own another GAP? Sure I will, when I can afford one. But if you're on the fence and want to get into the long range game, don't think you can't with a stock gun. Your optic is really what counts as it will bring out the best in your shooting and your ability to use your gun to its full potential. My Trijicon wasn't cheap, but it's half the cost of a Nightforce and its batteries will never run out!

Just food for thought ladies. I will try to get some pics posted soon. Now get out there and shoot! </div></div>

Great post. I 100% agree as well