• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New (RemArms) Remington Alpha 1 and Long Range 7mm Rem Mag 1:8 twist

Chief Rodger

Private
Minuteman
Oct 18, 2022
Northwest Florida
Here I go again. I'm currently in limbo on a 6GT build. Waiting on Proof to finish a barrel. I just bought an Impact action, already have a Manners PRS 2 stock. Still need a trigger but that not a huge expense. Then there's rings and glass. That can wait a bit, I've got both on my current range rifle. With that out there, heres where the Rem mag came into the picture. This is really all for future reference. A few weeks ago I bought a bunch of reloading supplies form a guy that had inherited it. I bought it for the pistol brass and bullets. Picture 2 file folder boxes filled to max cap. Well under the pile of new old stock 357 and 44 mag brass boxes where 7 boxes of unprimed NOS 7mm Rem mag cases. 5 Norma and 2 Winchester Western. and 500+ bullets of various brands. I called a friend to ask if he wanted to take it off my hands. He said "don't sell, it get a rifle". Dammit I'm still building one was my reply. Not a Magnum was his retort. So here I go again researching factory budgetish rifles for the next project. Most all the major brands are 1:9.25 to 1:9.5 twist. When looking at twist rate on various brands I've noticed that you can't rely on gun sale pages to have it listed correctly. Go to the factory page to find that info. So along come the Remington Alpha 1 and Long Range. I know about the old issues with them. This is RemArm's licensing the Remington name from the company that bought the Ammo plant and the rights to the name. They are trying to resurrect the once mighty 700. They list both the Alpha 1 and the Long range at 1:8 twist. The Alpha 1 having a 24" barrel and the long range is 26". The Alpha 1 has some other new features added like fluted barrel, and bolt. Side bolt release and no tool bolt disassembly and a threaded muzzle. Not that you can't break down a 700 using your boot laces, thats not the point. So this has me looking at Remington again. Does anyone have any NEW experience with either the Alpha 1 or the Long Range. This years releases not rebranded old inventory. I'd like to get into a decent rifle at around the same price as a custom action. And I like the 1:8 twist rate. All it will do is bang steel at the end of the range and possibly go for a mile. Thats tough to get in my area. 1350 is the longest I can go with out involving some decent travel.

Reactions: jh2785
I grew up on and still own more 700s than any other bolt actions. I also don't care for 60 degree actions. I'd still get a Tikka before I paid $1600 for an Alpha 1.

If not that, bump up a little & build on an Origin.

Reactions: Chief Rodger