• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing New Remington 700 .308...upgrade questions

jcclow

Private
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2009
So I got my first high power rifle. I've got the upgrade bug, but have a budget. I own a Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308 with the Hogue overmolded stock. I don't mind the stock, but the forend of it sure does flex. I was thinking of trying to make the forend a little more rigid by adding an aluminum length of 1/2"x1/2" bar stock and then bedding it in. That would also give me a place to mount accessories (another stud) at the front. What do you guys think of that until I can afford a McMillan. Of course I'll bed the action as well.

Another question, I want to work my action over a little bit. I'm thinking of sending my rifle to PT&G to have them ream my raceway and then make a custom bolt with a tactical knob until I can afford a Surgeon. Should I wait to do that when I get the barrel I want (Kreiger 1:11) and a larger lug or will I see results from the bolt and action truing alone. I want to make an accurate, but dependable tactical rifle that could be used to compete in mid-range competition, locally. More for the hobby of it than national fame. Would I be better off waiting to do all of this at once or can I do it incrementally?

Re: New Remington 700 .308...upgrade questions

Fixing the forend as you suggested is a fine idea. I'd just put a bigger knob on the bolt. A trigger job by a gunsmith who knows how or a new trigger is good too as is a crown check.

I would not bed the action until I torqued the action to spec and shot some Federal Gold Medal Match through it. It should do 1/2 to 3/4 MOA.

Keeping your costs down and spending the money on trigger time will pay off far more than expensive stocks, new barrels and other "cool" upgrades.

IMO too many people are trying to substitute fancy technology for basic/advanced markmanship skills.

You may, of course, buy whatever you WANT, but don't get suckered into thinking that is what you NEED. A Savage F/TR will shoot with almost any of these multi 1000 dollar customs in real world range conditions.

Re: New Remington 700 .308...upgrade questions

Have the trigger adjusted.
Shoot it.
Reload
Shoot more.

When/If you call your shots & the rifle isn't to call - Upgrade.