• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Range Report New Remington 700 AAC-SD .308 Report

Hook Creek

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 7, 2010
Catskill Mountains, NY
First five shots fired down the tube were 1/2in. Got lucky that the first load I tried was the keeper. Did testing with 175 SMK's and Honady 178 BTHP under Varget, Federal Match primers and Lapua brass seated to 2.810. Best results I got was with 44.0gr charge using the 178's. Took her out to 400 yards and was very pleased with the results. first 5 shots was 4in next five shots was a little less than 3in. adjusted 2.6 mils to get there so I figure I'm slightly less than 2500 fps. Although I hate the hogue stock, Im very pleased with the out of the box capability of this rifle. its also nice that it comes threaded for a brake or suppressor from the factory.

For this setup I used a Seekins 20MOA base, TPS low rings, and a Vortex Viper PST 4-16X50

First group at 400

second

Wanted to add That before I even shot this rifle, I took a Dremmel tool and removed material in the barrel channel part of the stock. The purpose of this was to free it up a little otherwise the stock will contact the barrel. Not my first rodeo with these hogue stocks lol. It will do untill I change the stock out(Meaning till I can sneak another thousand passed the wife...)

Just took mine out to the range with a new Bell and Carlson Light Tactical. I shot it first with the hogue just because I was too impatient to wait and my groups were a little all over. Then I tossed on the B&C and shot a 5 round .6" group with 1 flyer using factory Remington 180gr ammo. I love this rifle! Now I just need some more $$$ and time!

I know exactly what you mean about the Hogue stock contacting the barrel. I dumped the Hogue for an Accuracy International. I'm very happy with the rifle though. It shot consistently MOA groups with the factory stock and 168 grain FGMM.. With the AI it is consistent half MOA and I've shot a few groups around .35 MOA. The threads on the muzzle are not cut the whole way to the shoulder so I can't use my Gemtech on it because it won't screw the whole way on. Just FYI if you plan on using it with a can.

Did some upgrading with good results. Added a Mcmillan A-5 stock, Hook Creek Industries Bolt Knob(JB Weld, sandpaper and spray paint), and a Harris 6-9 bipod. Not that it wasn't accurate before, but I noticed some inconsistency's. Probably because of the hogue stock. Sometimes I would group OK and others was excellent. Not to say that it wasn't me, but the stock didn't help 'I'm sure. Now with the upgrades I can definitely see a difference in consistency, and comfort.

400Y

Noticed you've got the hornady sonic cleaner, I have seen mixed reviews, does it clean up primer pockets and remove carbon from inside of case necks?

Noticed you've got the hornady sonic cleaner, I have seen mixed reviews, does it clean up primer pockets and remove carbon from inside of case necks?

It does clean the inside of the necks, but not really the primer pockets. It cleans better with the heat on, but if your not careful it will tarnish the brass.

I think I found what my SPS likes!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 19
Seen one of these at Wallyworld this weekend in .300 blackout. The old guy running was like that thing take some crazy ammo we ain't got. Some type of wildcat. Nice looking little rifle tho.

Seen one of these at Wallyworld this weekend in .300 blackout. The old guy running was like that thing take some crazy ammo we ain't got. Some type of wildcat. Nice looking little rifle tho.

Here's my little 300 BO that I've had for a month now. I did a few mods to it. It's spits out that crazy ammo pretty good.
IMG_6372_zps792a0745.jpg

Heres my pig hammer!
300bo
Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1381184191231.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1381184191231.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 22
I bought my AAC SD a year ago as my first precision rifle. I mounted the same scope With a NF 20MOA base and medium rings and was pleased with the accuracy out of the box. Replaced the stock with a McMillan M40 stock, installed a PTG bolt and a Timney trigger. Love this gun.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
I picked up a 700 AAC SD as a spare multipurpose deer/range .308. The McDonald's Hogue stock is plenty comfy for dragging through the woods, but is a real PITA when prone with a bipod. Wish it was a little more stiff so it wouldn't contact the barrel, and basically be a mandatory upgrade. Ironically, I have seen a couple of the same Hogue stocks do wonders for little Ruger 10/22 rifles as upgrades.

Just a suggestion, if the barrel contacts the stock, do an experiment placing a washer or two between the stock and the receiver (around the receiver bolts) to elevate the action some in the stock. This will tell you if floating the barrel is a good idea, without needing to modify anything unless it works. Verify trigger function before going hot.

Greg

Last edited:
Just a suggestion, if the barrel contacts the stock, do an experiment placing a washer or two between the stock and the receiver (around the receiver bolts) to elevate the action some in the stock. This will tell you if floating the barrel is a good idea, without needing to modify anything unless it works. Verify trigger function before going hot.

Greg
Good idea Greg!

I have the same gun. I'm in the midst of putting it in a AI AX chassis, vortex PST 4-16x50 scope, jewell trigger, and have some work done on the action. Should have it later this month or early November.

Originally bought this gun as a deer/LR gun and I'll still use it here and there for hunting but I figured I would get a little more serious about LR shooting and throw some goodies on it. Was going to upgrade the barrel but there is still some long life on the factory barrel so I will jump on that when the time comes.

I don't know what the deal is with mine. AAC SD .308 in a bell and Carlson light tactical with badger rail and rings and a NF NXS. I've tried EVERYTHING..... But constant stringing and sometimes just flat out shoots like crap. I had the 1:12 version and it would shoot 1/2 moa with ease. I'm not sure if the barrel is bad, or what. When I first got it it shot some pretty good groups but has declined drastically in accuracy lately. I've only got 200 rounds down the tube trying to find a good load.
It's frustrating as hell. What would you fellas reccomend ?

I don't know what the deal is with mine. AAC SD .308 in a bell and Carlson light tactical with badger rail and rings and a NF NXS. I've tried EVERYTHING..... But constant stringing and sometimes just flat out shoots like crap. I had the 1:12 version and it would shoot 1/2 moa with ease. I'm not sure if the barrel is bad, or what. When I first got it it shot some pretty good groups but has declined drastically in accuracy lately. I've only got 200 rounds down the tube trying to find a good load.
It's frustrating as hell. What would you fellas reccomend ?

Find a guy who can shoot it!! ;)

Find a guy who can shoot it!! ;)

LOWBLOW!!! Lol. I put that one up and have been focusing on a custom .300 win mag with a 30" Broughton 5C on a trued up 700 action with 77 grains of h1000 and a 215 Berger. Got a V2 magneto speed the other day but haven't had a chance to chrony it yet. I did on the other hand chrony some 140 hunting vlds out of my 6.5 creedmor gap (27" bartlein) going from 80 F* to 45 F* I lost 46 fps. Average of 6 shots was 2741 with an sd of 7. Load was 42.6 h4350. Was very surprised by the temp change on my MV.
The 215's should be rolling out about 2980 to 3010 according to QL. Hell, may be flying faster.

LOWBLOW!!! Lol. I put that one up and have been focusing on a custom .300 win mag with a 30" Broughton 5C on a trued up 700 action with 77 grains of h1000 and a 215 Berger. Got a V2 magneto speed the other day but haven't had a chance to chrony it yet. I did on the other hand chrony some 140 hunting vlds out of my 6.5 creedmor gap (27" bartlein) going from 80 F* to 45 F* I lost 46 fps. Average of 6 shots was 2741 with an sd of 7. Load was 42.6 h4350. Was very surprised by the temp change on my MV.
The 215's should be rolling out about 2980 to 3010 according to QL. Hell, may be flying faster.

:) Mercy, those 215's are haulin' arse. Can hardly wait to get mey hands on some. Wish Berger would hurry up with the hunter hybrid version.

Great thread. Love my 700 AAC-SD... getting sub MOA @ 100yrds, and 1 (best 5 shot group) to 2 moa @ 300yrds. Had to dump the Hogue stock, with a Bell & Carlson, mounted a fixed 10x SWFA. Shooting Fed Gold Match 168gr BTHP, and 175gr right now till all my ordered reloading stuff comes in. But rifle's outshooting me right now so I'm very much satisfied.

Heres few loads i worked up for my AAC-SD

the gun is an factory AAC-SD in a XLR chassis. I have no reason to true or replace the tube yet, the only thing i did to the gun is recrown the muzzle on my lathe. all the components were weight sorted on a Gempro 250... primers to .02gn, powder to .02gn, bullets to .10gn, cases were in .50gn groups. The bullets are WS2 coated!!!! do not use these loads(especially the H380 load with naked bullets), i neck turn and uniform all the cases before sorting as well as anneal before every loading to keep consistent neck tension. dies are all lee(FL & neck) except i use a LE Wilson inline seating die for minimal run out. The h380 load should be worked up again in hot weather, its a pretty hot load during the winter. The load is almost compressed, the loads fit in the magazine but do not feed. The IMR 4064 can be worked up hotter(i need to work it up hotter), again this is a single feed load. Both loads have flattened primers but no cratering yet... LC brass is tough as nails, just buy a ton of it so you can weight sort it.

700 AAC SD.jpgIMR 4064.jpgH380.jpg

I picked up a 700 AAC SD as a spare multipurpose deer/range .308. The McDonald's Hogue stock is plenty comfy for dragging through the woods, but is a real PITA when prone with a bipod. Wish it was a little more stiff so it wouldn't contact the barrel, and basically be a mandatory upgrade. Ironically, I have seen a couple of the same Hogue stocks do wonders for little Ruger 10/22 rifles as upgrades.

Thats because a lot people actually bed the barrel in a 10/22 due to the terrible receiver design for trying to float a heavy barrel off of it.