• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Remington 700 LTR

wingbone

Private
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2006
Georgia
Hey guys I acquired a new 700 LTR and can use some advice. I plan to be able to hunt with this rifle here in South Georgia, and use it for fun and range trips.....I will shoot long range when I can but in my area this will not be often.
I’m really wanting to build a mid range tactical rifle that looks tacticool ;) can ya’ll help me with suggestions?
From reading threads here I’m looking at the vortex razor gen 2 or the Steiner t5xi I’m looking at glass in or around the 4-16 power range.
i also plan on sending stock off to Badger to be inlet for their magazine system. Or should I get a better stock first? This came with the HS stock.
Any help or suggestions are appreciated.
5F943683-98B5-4BF9-B45F-6AA2E08B8749.jpeg

Do you have a budget?
I too have and hunt with an LTR. I replaced the stock with a McM A1-3, cut it down an inch for suppressor threads and mounted a 4-16 F1 ATACR. Opted not to add a detach mag as I prefer a slick bottom on a hunting rifle.

Reactions: wingbone
I think you got a lemon, the bolt is on the wrong side 🤣, if the stock fits you and you like it shoot the snot out of it. If you don’t like it you can get a KRG bravo or something along those lines.

I think you got a lemon, the bolt is on the wrong side 🤣, if the stock fits you and you like it shoot the snot out of it. If you don’t like it you can get a KRG bravo or something along those lines.
Do you have a budget?
I too have and hunt with an LTR. I replaced the stock with a McM A1-3, cut it down an inch for suppressor threads and mounted a 4-16 F1 ATACR. Opted not to add a detach mag as I prefer a slick bottom on a hunting rifle.
Lol I’m in my mid 40’s and this is the first left handed bolt gun I have ever owned. I have shot MSR’s forever simply because of ease of use for being left handed.......I always wanted to get one and was bummed when I heard Remington went bankrupt but then found this one for a good deal especially during these times so I snatched it up lol

I really don’t have a budget, at least not yet lol 😂 I’m prepared to “buy once, cry once” as far as optics. All I know so far is I do want zero stops, I want illuminated reticle, and want the tactical knobs but I don’t want a reticle that is so “busy” that it is not good for hunting.
as I said before my ability to shoot above 500 yards will be very limited.
I do have a AAC 762SDN6 can that I may try on the rifle later but I don’t know if this would influence which optic I get ?
At this time I’m almost overwhelmed with information as I research scopes....there is sooo many good ones lol

the optics I’ve been looking at;
1 the Steiner t5xi 3-15x50
2. The night force shv 4-16x50
3. Vortex razor ...I think it was 4-16x50
4. The trijicon accupoint in same power range
5. Eotech vudu in a 3.5-10x44

I do not know enough about magnifying optics other than my ACOG lol and there is no place locally that I can go handle different scopes.

I would really like to stay at 2k or under if this is possible?

I saw a scope base made by area 419 that I will get if this is good?
I don’t know which rings yet because there is a equal amounts of pro and con reviews for everyone I have looked at so far

Get a McRee folding chassis in the $600's and sell off that H&S stock in the $200's. Takes AICS mags, nice folding system, and integrated level. win-win

Attachments

• Mcree8.jpg
    Mcree8.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 77
  • 20inch.jpg
    20inch.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 63
In my opinion you have a solid stock/rifle set up as is, (I too have the same rifle and am located in S.Ga.). Though I have handled many chassis rifles/set ups, but I don't have any long term feedback to give so I'll let the more qualified members lead you. My advise would be to buy good glass and possibly a trigger (as most people despise the factory one, I have no issue with it), and work up a load, then enjoy. If you still desire a chassis set up after some time go for it, but I'd shoot it as is for a bit and decide later. I have several other tactical rifles but this is my favorite to carry, shoot, and hunt with. My only plan is to upgrade to better glass eventually. My rifle's favorite load is a 168 SMK over 42.0 gr of IMR 4064. Cheers from Hazlehurst! PM me if you need any help.

Attachments

• IMG_2855.jpg
    IMG_2855.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_2856.jpg
    IMG_2856.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_2857.jpg
    IMG_2857.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 86
Great little rifles. I got one back around 2006. Really liked 168gr bullets. Would make a nice little hunting rifle. I had it topped with a Leupold mark 4 scope. It sold it and regretted it. Picked one up about year ago to fill the void. It's a bit different but I'm looking forward to getting a scope for it and seeing how it shoots. New jobs getting in the way of free time but hopefully once things calm down I'll be back to shooting regularly. Trying to keep this one on the cheaper end. Bought a egw base, apa brake, badger rings I had laying around.

Last edited:
In my opinion you have a solid stock/rifle set up as is, (I too have the same rifle and am located in S.Ga.). Though I have handled many chassis rifles/set ups, but I don't have any long term feedback to give so I'll let the more qualified members lead you. My advise would be to buy good glass and possibly a trigger (as most people despise the factory one, I have no issue with it), and work up a load, then enjoy. If you still desire a chassis set up after some time go for it, but I'd shoot it as is for a bit and decide later. I have several other tactical rifles but this is my favorite to carry, shoot, and hunt with. My only plan is to upgrade to better glass eventually. My rifle's favorite load is a 168 SMK over 42.0 gr of IMR 4064. Cheers from Hazlehurst! PM me if you need any help.
Thanks for the help! I’m new to bolt actions and there is so much information out there that it is hard to decide not knowing because for example glass it seems there is as many pro as there is con for every optic you can find reviews for lol.
I went with the Nightforce SHV, I got the base and rings from Nightforce as well. I figure I’ll work with this until I decide with experience if and or what options suit me best.
as far as the stock my question was a bit misleading....I was trying to ask from those with experience if I should leave this HS stock as is and get another stock to set up for detachable mag system. Or modify the HS stock? I’m not sure how much weight this system adds to the rifle? I still want this to be a hunting rifle as well.
im in Pooler so I will definitely hit you up for questions.
Now the next big issue is to locate ammunition components so I can shoot this thing ;)

Thanks for the help! I’m new to bolt actions and there is so much information out there that it is hard to decide not knowing because for example glass it seems there is as many pro as there is con for every optic you can find reviews for lol.
I went with the Nightforce SHV, I got the base and rings from Nightforce as well. I figure I’ll work with this until I decide with experience if and or what options suit me best.
as far as the stock my question was a bit misleading....I was trying to ask from those with experience if I should leave this HS stock as is and get another stock to set up for detachable mag system. Or modify the HS stock? I’m not sure how much weight this system adds to the rifle? I still want this to be a hunting rifle as well.
im in Pooler so I will definitely hit you up for questions.
Now the next big issue is to locate ammunition components so I can shoot this thing ;)
I see, Nightforce has a solid reputation and I don't see you regretting this purchase at all. Personally I like HS precision stocks, but I am a fudd (I don't require the latest aerospace grade equipment). I prefer a traditionally styled rigid stock with a bedding block, this stock checked all the boxes for me. And even though most guys resent this logic, I feel that if these stocks are used overseas by our warriors then they will suit me well here on the range / in the woods. There are still guys using these traditional stocks, but the current trend is to get a chassis systems because of the ability to taylor the rifle's fit to you and it adds tons of adaptability to the system for acessories/componets. Personally I am not a fan of detachable magazines because of aestetics, and my personal usage does not really warrant a need for them. Most guys that I know do like them though, and for ovious reasons (ability to carry more ammo for follow up shots / faster reloading). The HS stock that you have can be used with a magazine system, but which system is the easiest will be the million dollar question. To find out this you will have to communicate with the manufacturer to verify fitment (or browse the internet) as some kits require the stock to be sent off for inletting. Not sure I helped you much, but again get that scope mounted up a get some range time in! As far as componets pm me and I can probably help you with some depending on what you want / need.