• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Remington 700 SPS Tactical .308 Owner

USMC_Tanker

Private
Minuteman
Jun 26, 2009
San Diego, CA
Hello all, I've been lurking here for quite some time trying to absorb as much information as possible. I've been shooting for a long time, but my new Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308 is my first scoped bolt gun.

Because I live in the horrible state of California, I don't get to take my new rifle home until July 6th! I tend to not do well with these 10-day waits, but I've been using the time to get everything I'll need to assemble the rifle and head to the range.

Here's what I've purchased so far:

Remington 700 SPS Tactical, .308
B&C A2-Style Stock
Warne 1-piece 20 MOA rail
Millet TRS-1 4-16x50
Burris XTR LOW rings

I'm starting to sweat getting the low rings. With the 50mm objective on the Millet and the contour of the SPS Tactical, I'm starting to think I should have ordered the mediums. We'll see...

Anyhow, I just wanted to introduce myself and say that I'm looking forward to using this forum as a valuable resource in improving my precision shooting capabilities.

Re: New Remington 700 SPS Tactical .308 Owner

Welcome to the Hide bud. Sounds like you gotta nice rig on the way. May wanna get some Med - Med/High rings for it. And I feel your pain brother, Im up here in Ventura. Kalifornia sucks!!

welcome, and the sps-t is a great starter rifle and you sound like you have just about everything you need to get started. You should be fine with the low rings. Im running a 56 mm obj on mine in medium rings and its a little high for me. but again welcome

burris xtr lows will be fine, I use a 50mm obj with a 20 moa base on a FN SPR and its barrel profile is heavier than the tactical, it just clears the objective. So you will be fine.

One word of advice, sign up for the online training. It is well worth it. Even better for you not having years of scoped shooting bugs to correct, like I do....

Welcome. Enjoy your stay.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">welcome, and the sps-t is a great starter rifle and you sound like you have just about everything you need to get started. You should be fine with the low rings. Im running a 56 mm obj on mine in medium rings and its a little high for me. but again welcome </div></div>

Dont take this the wrong way bud, no disrespect intended, but, What exactly is a "starter" rifle? If you mean....a good base rifle (something to build on), I agree with you 100%. I say put an H&S Precision stock on it and when you burn the barrel out, send it to GA and have em put a new barrel on her and true the action. That gun will hammer @ 1000 and will last you a life time. No need to spend big $$$$$ on a gun. Spend that $$$$$$ on bullets and range time.

Very nice. I just picked up an SPS Tactical for my M40A3 Build.
My build is as follows:
Here are the plans:
700 Action-Trued, Lugs lapped.
Optic Mount holes open up to 8/40 threads
Badger M5 Bottom metal
Bedded W/ Marine Tex
Badger Ordnance USMC contract rings- 6 screw front ring, 4screw rear ring.
Simrad Front Cap
TIS Sling
Harris 6-9 Notched Leg

I will be running the standard 20" barrel untill I can afford to re-barrel it. Unfortunately it will look goofy with a barrel that size the USMC spec'd barrel channel.

I am purchasing a Nightforce 3.5-15x50 untill I have the cash to purchase the US or S+B.
I talked to Mike R and he told me to stick with a Kreiger barrel rather than the spec'd Schineder.
I am taking his advice into consideration, because I hold his opinion highly.
So I will have Kreiger barrel with the same specs as the Schineder Spec'd barrel.
1.200x3, Finnished .925 @ 25"
1/12 twist, 6groove.

Anyways sorry for the long post. In short, Good choice of rifle. I cant wait to see how it shoots. Lets see a range report!!

Wow gents, thanks for the warm welcome.

I'll be sure to post a range report!

-Semper Fidelis

great rifle,just turn down the trigger and bed the stock and you have one hell of a shooter. mine liked 168 smk 44.5 gr. of varget and hornady match brass. it also loved any 168 gr. match ammo

Congrats, I also just got my SPS Tactical. I still need to change the stock though.

I have the 16x SS with 20moa base and XTR Low rings and I wish it was a bit lower.

This is my first bolt rifle.

P1010083.jpg

I just picked mine up a couple weeks ago and I couldn't be happier. It's my first bolt gun and I'm still fairly new to shooting off a bench. I ended up with a Bushnell 4200 series scope.
DSCF8814.jpg

DSCF8818.jpg

I was able to pull this off my first time out with it. It's 5 shots at 100 yards. The center-to-center measurement was .540". I was using Federal Gold Medal Match ammo, so hopefully with some more practice and handloads I can tighten up my groups a little.
DSCF88262.jpg

I'm also a new Remmy 700 SPS Tactical owner, I love it, very nice shooting, accurate rifle. I'm not shooting 1/2" groups with mine yet, but I'm holding them pretty close to an inch. I'm a newbie, I've been at this for 2 months now, but long range shooting is a blast. I'm also a .308 reloader now, which is a lot of fun and rewarding. Putting together match grade ammo for 50 cents/round, compared to over a dollar for factory, brings a smile to my face.
grin.gif

Did you all mount your own scopes? I've read all of this stuff about mounting kits, lapping, etc...I've shot some emails to some gunsmiths around San Diego to quote me mounting prices for the scope and the stock.

I purchased a lapping kit and did it myself.

So I've been looking more into the scope mounting subject.

It seems that lapping is sort of hit or miss, some people recommend it and some don't.

I'm hesitant to buy a whole mounting kit since this is my only scoped rifle and don't plan on swapping scopes any time soon.

Should I mount the scope myself or have it done by a gunsmith?

I have an SPS Tactical and it shoots great, once I changed the stock. You will be very happy with it.

I have pretty much the same setup, Rem700 SPS Tac w/Millet TRS as well. I got the medium XTR rings and they are fine, maybe a bit high though.

As far as mounting the scope? Do it yourself, it will be more rewarding than paying some guy to do it for you. I bought the Wheeler lapping kit and everything but didn't even use it. The alignment bars matched up perfect when I mounted rings so I saw no need. Mounting is really not that difficult. It was my first time as well and was fun.