• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Remington 700p w/ 5R rifling

Dahbarez

Private
Minuteman
Oct 21, 2019
Hi everyone new to the forum.

I just picked up a Remington 700p in 300 win mag with 5r rifling for about 700. I plan on using this rifle for Elk hunting primarily but also want to try and get into some long range shooting. Cause I am new to the Remington 700 world I was wondering if there is any upgrades I should do right away or if I should just throw on a nice optic and get to practicing.

Practice. Print out some quality targets, and shoot the heck out of the thing so you get familiar with it's handling characteristics and performance. No gun is really the same, even if they are mass produced with interchangeable parts. Some may shoot to the left or to the right naturally. Others may be unfamiliar to those who grew up shooting a different style or platform.

You don't just grab a gun and instantly become a world class marksman with it. You have to 'grow into it' first. After you are intimately familiar with how the rifle handles at different ranges, then you can modify to your heart's desire. But now? Go out, shoot, observe, and have fun...

Reactions: Desert Raven
Practice. Print out some quality targets, and shoot the heck out of the thing so you get familiar with it's handling characteristics and performance. No gun is really the same, even if they are mass produced with interchangeable parts. Some may shoot to the left or to the right naturally. Others may be unfamiliar to those who grew up shooting a different style or platform.

You don't just grab a gun and instantly become a world class marksman with it. You have to 'grow into it' first. After you are intimately familiar with how the rifle handles at different ranges, then you can modify to your heart's desire. But now? Go out, shoot, observe, and have fun...
That was the plan I just didn't know if there was any part that just was a must to upgrade asap on the rifle

I had a factory trigger on a .308 Tactical that was heavy and felt like it’s full of sand.

Have a factory trigger . 223 Tactical now that is light and breaks perfectly. I’ll keep it.

Remington is just not consistent anymore.

Reactions: 1J04
If you have to come to an internet forum to decide what needs to be replaced, nothing needs to be replaced. Buy rings. Buy Scope. Mount rings and scope.

Buy ammo. Shoot ammo. Gather and save brass. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.

If it doesn't shoot to your liking, diagnose what is causing that, then replace that part. Stock, barrel, trigger- rifles are not complex. I've got a remington 700 with a beautiful (factory) 2 lb trigger. Of course it is 20+ years old and has exposed sear engagement and overtravel adjustment screws.

Reactions: 308pirate and 1J04
What about the wolverines?

giphy (31).gif

This has to be your first rifle. How on earth does someone with any amount of rifle shooting experience not think of actually shooting the thing to see if something needs improvement.

Hell, dry fire the fucker right now. If you are even mildly competent you should be able to judge whether the trigger is great, OK, or plain ol sucks without firing a single shot.

BTW this thread will get more traction in the bolt action rifle sub forum. Which I'm sure you know we have.

Get a good optic and shoot the shit out of the rifle as is. When you feel the trigger is holding you back, replace it.

keep shooting. When you feel the stock is holding you back, replace it.

so on and so forth.

Reactions: Alabusa
Other than scope and mounts, you may need a stock pack to get your face in the right spot. A cut strip of foam pipe insulation and some duct tape would achieve same.

You can save a lot buying a used scope here in the px. Explore the site, starting at the top of the main forum page. Good luck.

Reactions: oneshot86
Well the first thing...
ZomboMeme 23102019092630.jpg

Next you are gonna want to maybe do a little crown work on it, use a deburring tool in a drill, or round head cap bolt in a drill with some valve grinding compound. Really get aggressive honing that muzzle. Don't be afraid to really get in there.

Next smooth up the back of the bolt lugs with your wife's nail file or Emory board.

Next, take that stock off, and hog it out inside, fill with JB weld and glop that action back in for a too notch bedding job. Don't be afraid to use a Dremel in all aspects of the project.

Go ahead and get some good NC Star rings, sure strapping iron is cheaper but you'll know where your money went when you shoot it.

Get one of those Truglo scopes from Amazon. I know guys will tell you Chinese stuff is shit, but guys like you and me know better don't we scooter? ?

Don't be afraid to roll your own ammo, and really push the limits. Sure the book says 72 grains is Max, but that's just lawyer bullshit. That bitch is a 300 Maggum! It'll take whatever you want to throw at it.

Finally, and I could go on, but I have important shit to do today,....
Get you a good bipod, them green blobs and NCStars are a third the price if an Atlas, and twice as good. Expensive bipods are for guys that ain't as spot on dead nuts shooting legends like me and you.

• Haha
Reactions: 308pirate