• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report new respect for 5.56

marduk185

take my karma boom
Minuteman
Feb 3, 2009
tantric thrust
hey yall, wasnt sure where to put this thread its more of a terminal ballistics deal, but wanted to share some findings. some time ago i test fired an ar build into a very large oak tree. unfortunately this may have inadvertantly lead to said tree's demise. so yesterday as i was proceeding to chainsaw it down for firewood i jacked up my chain at around an 8 inch depth, far deeper than i expected nato ball to penetrate that hard oak. any way, thought id share my silly research shenanigans and maybe even lend some "real world ops" out there some usable data.

Re: new respect for 5.56

I have shot my 7.62 nato ball through a 24 inch white pine.
Much softer wood than oak by far but still interesting.
Sorry about your chain, hope some sharpening will fix it but if not at least its an under $20 fix!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marduk185</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wanted to share some findings</div></div>At what range: point-blank or 400 yards? What ammo? What bullet? Pics of the bullet?

i was at about 50 yards away and fired a some 55 grain fmj surplus from a 16" carbine build that i was working on. had just completed a lower and needed to test fire and had little care for group so lazily aimed at the nearest backstop. dont have pics but one of the bullets i pulled out was clearly my 5.56 and it was sort of bent lenngthwise and partially broken near the cannelure, what was left after my stihl sawed some of the base away.