• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New Reticles for the SWFA 3-9X42 SS and 10X42HD

Jon A

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2006
Everett, WA
www.aadmount.com
Having been around for a while now, these scopes are pretty well proven. About the only common "complaint" one hears about them is due to the plain-jane mildot reticles. SWFA has stepped up to the plate and given the scopes that one last improvement.

The 3-9:

PICT0353.JPG

PICT0356.JPG

PICT0357.JPG

As you guys have now all seen the Mil-Quad in the 5-20X50HD, the family resemblance should be obvious. The notable differences are the quads, or diamonds, are solid on this scope and the posts are twice as thick.

As a FFP scope that goes all the way down to 3X without illumination, the reticle needs some boldness to aid with speed down there and this reticle has it. I know a lot of people use these 3-9's for hunting and this reticle will be a big improvement for the thick woods on 3X. The best non-illuminated FFP Tactical reticle on 3X I had ever used in such situations up until this point was the IOR 3-18, but this reticle has is even better.

Then when you crank it to 9X you have the 1/2 Mil marks which make precise holds much more easy as well as the 0.2 Mil marks for ranging.

The end result is a reticle that's faster to use and easier to see on 3X, but also offers more precision on 9X.

Here are a couple pics comparing the standard mildot to the new reticle; these should be pretty self explanitory:

PICT0288.JPG

PICT0272.JPG

PICT0290.JPG

PICT0276.JPG

PICT0295.JPG

PICT0280.JPG

Re: New Reticles for the SWFA 3-9X42 SS and 10X42HD

PICT0294.JPG

PICT0279.JPG

Since the 10X42HD never is cranked down to 3X, it had no need for the added thickness and boldness. The 10X42HD got a reticle identical to the 5-20X50HD. After writing this entire post I now realize I don't have any pics of it uploaded. I did take a few though not very many as it looks identical to the 5-20 turned to 10X. I'll try and find a few shortly but for now here are pics of the 5-20 on 10X, as I remember it it's nearly impossible to tell which pics came from which scope which is probably why I never bothered to upload them.

PICT0130.JPG

PICT0243.JPG

PICT0232.JPG

More to come....

PICT0016.JPG

I don’t know. I do know they’ll be available very soon, just not how soon.

Fuck yea, I even asked about this in the 5-20 thread. I was going to pick up a used 3-9 for my SPR, but I'll wait for this instead. Any idea if there will be a price change?

So much better than just the MD option.

Any chance the 16x or budget-non-HD 10x could also get this reticle? Along with some .1 mil-click and you'd own the <$400 market.
smile.gif

Still no love for us MOA fans
frown.gif

I was going to pull the trigger on a 10X hd today, under the group buy deal.

Now this changes things a bit.

Personally I would like just straight hash marks instead of the diamonds, but that is a great improvement over the MD. Excellent progress by SWFA here.

Do you guys see any benefit to the diamonds over hash marks?
Thanks for any info.

Diamonds are nice b/c it gives you an exact reference point down to .1 mill. I prefer these over standard hashes b/c since it's a MD style, I can still use it fast, yet it the 1/2 mill hashes as well as the diamonds make it even more accurate for milling, IMO.

That makes sense, I have been staring at the pics for about ten minutes now. I can see it will be more precise with the fine points.

Thanks.

Man I wish I could grab one with the group buy. This is going to delay things a bit. I just picked up my GAP yesterday, so I am frothing at the mouth for a decent scope. I seriously just got on the computer and came to the hide for the link to the group buy deal on the 10x HD, now the brakes to the floor and tires screeching!!

I may just have to go with the 5x20 SS, I could probably get that here faster since they are in the works already......decisions decisions. One of each may just be the solution.

Looks good! Now I want a 3-9x42 SS to go with my 5-20x50 SS. What I really want is a mil/mil mid range variable with parallax adjustment. I want knobs like the 5-20x50, zero stop, and I want it to weigh <span style="font-weight: bold">20 ounces or less</span>. The only scope that I know of that comes close is the PST. I can't believe that I am the only guy that wants a light but still "tough enough" scope.

Uh oh, looks like that 3-9 just made the cut as the perfect scope for my hunting rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BapZander</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just wish it was a 4x - 3-12 please? take that 5-20 and make a 3-12 - <span style="font-weight: bold">or maybe even a 3-15? Game over.</span></div></div>

+10000000000000 to the 3-15 would love that for my .308.

Aron-

Any chance in the future of the 3-9x42 getting the High Density glass?

I'd like to see the 3-9 with an illumination that is in the 5-20 as well!! (same illum and same controls)

I asked swfa about it a while ago, can't recall the exact response but I was lead to believe it could happen!!

I never had an issue with the original mildots. For me the Mil-dotII setup seemed like it made life easier and had more utility. This is something I'd like to try. I like the skeletonized ones better, I think NF came out with that a few years ago. It doesnt bury the targets.

What are the chances that this could be retrofitted to existing 3-9x42FFP scopes, and what would it cost if it could be done??

I have no idea what is involve in changing a reticle. If you look at it from an assembly line POV you will need that specific station where the reticle is installed in order to change it out. Not too many out there that do it. It would be nice to see SWFA doing that down the line. I think there is only like 3 or 4 places that have that ability, and it isnt cheap either.

BTW, are SS reticled etched or wire?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: winxp_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BapZander</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just wish it was a 4x - 3-12 please? take that 5-20 and make a 3-12 - <span style="font-weight: bold">or maybe even a 3-15? Game over.</span></div></div>

+10000000000000 to the 3-15 would love that for my .308. </div></div>

This ^^^! If there was a 3-15 or 4-12 for around $700 I would be all over it.

MP8 copy reticle in FFP for 600, I can live with 3-9 magnification especially if the outer bars are thicker. I love my 2.5-10 IOR FFP so a 3-9 with a similar reticle for half the price is going to be a winner.

Man they would go nicely only my rabbit rifles.

SWFA should celebrate with a GROUP BUY on the SS 10X HD sf and the 3-9 ffp
smile.gif

Chris

SWFA and Vortex are about the only ones that are really listening to what a very picky and vocal market want. I think that scopes have taken such a huge jump in the last few years.

My hats off to SWFA for all the hard work and innovation!! I am still doing my best to wait patiently for my 5-20 to mount!!

DK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Crnkin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Man they would go nicely only my rabbit rifles.

SWFA should celebrate with a GROUP BUY on the SS 10X HD sf and the 3-9 ffp
smile.gif

Chris </div></div>

Agreed, I'd snap up at least one 3x9.

I noticed that SWFA has them up on their site already. It does not mean that they are in stock though.

Just waiting on availability.

I'm sure if SWFA continues experiencing success with these, more models will follow as well.

I call them and the have some of the new 10HD in. I did not ask them about the 3x9. They would have traded my mil dot 10HD for a new one, but I just mount it up. But that is how it goes.

John

Called SWFA today and was told they are in stock. My original mil dot 3x9x42 is in the mail today to go back for replacement - the turret marks are 1/2 space off, so they do not line up with the reference mark on the scope body.

Was told that a very few of the originals had turret caps that were assembled slightly off - I got one of them. No fuss, no B.S., just told to box it up and send it back for a new swap out. I had originally just asked if we could just swap out for a new set of caps. Was told nope, just send it back and you'll get a brand new scope. Can't beat that except for the 7-10 days I'll be without glass.

Great customer service SWFA!!!!!

Just ordered a 3-9x42 SS with the Mil-Quad reticle. They said I should have it by Friday. It will be my first SS scope and will have to do until the 5-20x50 is shipping. I am interested in seeing how it will stack up against my Leupold scopes. By the way....thanks Jon A for the write up and pics.

How close in does the 3-9 focus well? 25 yards? Considering it as a .22 trainer optic to match the 5-20 that's on order now.

It would be a lot better for .22 rimfires if it had parallax adjustment in my opinion.

I would really like to see a 10x42 Side Focus model. I wonder if there will be one.

Aron-

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bp78</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How close in does the 3-9 focus well? 25 yards? Considering it as a .22 trainer optic to match the 5-20 that's on order now.</div></div>

+1, I am also wondering about paralax issues?
I currently have a weaver grand slam tact 3-10 on my trainer and the paralax is an issue shooting 200!

Just recieved the 3-9x42 SS with the new Mil-Quad reticle. The reticle is even better than I expected.....very nice. It is a great balance between usability at low and high power. The fit and finish is very good (this is my first SS scope). I am very happy with this scope, good glass, good turrets, front focal plane, great reticle, and a nice compact size.

I feel like I got a lot of scope for my money!

I am starting to think that the 5-20x50, that I have on order, will be even better than I thought.

Thanks SWFA!

My SS3x9x42 Mil-Quad arrived last night. While the standard Mil-Dot version got the job done, this new reticle really elevates the SS 3x9 to another level. Way to go SWFA! Reticle upgrade with no price increase.

This new version has the same ole rock solid feel of the original = solid, tacticle clicks, very clear glass. The turret marks line up correctly with the reference mark on the scope (this was the warranty problem on my original.)

I hope to get it mounted up this afternoon.

If you're looking for a sweet 3x9 fellas, look no further. It may not have zero stop, or illumination, but it does have what counts and it's a steal of a price.

I do have a question- are these reticles etched or still wire?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longrange18</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any chance in the future of the 3-9x42 getting the High Density glass? </div></div>

X2, that would be great

have to say, id prefer a little more magnification on the upper end. i mainly hunt though so i guess i really dont need more than 9x