• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New rifle, 20" .223 Wylde-bullet?

mark5pt56

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2005
Florida
Waiting on the MTU/20" Hawk Hill for the Impact and deciding on the bullet and powder. I don't compete any longer and just having fun, shooting groups, max range right now is 628.

Looking at bullet and powder choices and seeking input to minimize the "combinations" to try.

What I have on hand
205M
BR4
Staball
H4895
IMR 8208
LC brass

The barrel, 1n7 or 1n7.5(freaking can't remember now, have to check) Wylde chamber, 5/8x24 muzzle, initial no brake, but will add it, most likely the MDT one.
Chassis, ACC with folder, no weights initially, will add and balance, not a light set up and didn't intend to be.

Looking at
77 TMK
80 SMK
80.5 Berger FB
85.5 Berger Hybrid

Drop isn't a concern as I'm at fixed distances, just have to compare wind and go after the "safe bets"
While I have worked loads in the AR and Tikka using the 77 TMK and 8208, looks like 8208 won't give me velocity with the heavier bullets, so H4895 or is Varget a better choice? Also see Hodgdon has added Staball to the .223 data.