• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New rifle action

Which ARC action would you say is the best?

• Total voters

Deadline

Private
Minuteman
May 13, 2021
Texas
I’ve done some extensive searching for what new action I want to buy but I’m tied up. I’ll be using my action for hunting, want it to have control round feed, and less than 90° both throw. Anybody have any good ideas?

For both controlled round feed and less than 90° throw ARC is probably going to be your best if not only option.

Reactions: Deadline
Mausingfield M7 open top would be my choice. Probably a 7SS with a wyatts box

Or the archimedes. I just wish the bolt release was the teardrop not a circle

What cartridge?

Mausingfield M7 open top would be my choice. Probably a 7SS with a wyatts box

Or the archimedes. I just wish the bolt release was the teardrop not a circle

What cartridge?
6 mm Creed is what I’m looking at getting. Also, What difference does it make having teardrop compared to circle for the bolt release?

6 mm Creed is what I’m looking at getting. Also, What difference does it make having teardrop compared to circle for the bolt release?
Visual confirmation the bolt release is closed

For a 6 creed id assume DBM and a closed top M7

But the nucleus and archimedes would be good options too

Reactions: Deadline
I pre-ordered a Nucleus.
It's a good action. Nice and smooth.
But the beta testing was done by those of us dumb enough to pre-order or buy in the first year. I went 16 days and over a dozen attempts at phone and email contact with no success for some concerns I had. It was like they dropped off the face of the earth.
When they finally got back to me and others with said concerns, Ted chose to be a condescending dick.

For that reason, ARC won't get another penny from me.
My TL3 is much better anyway.

Full thread:

Ted:
Post in thread 'Nucleus owners/holders: mausingfield comparison and CRF issues' https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...omparison-and-crf-issues.6900082/post-7225764

I have Archimedes and Nucleus. Arc is slicker than owl shit on an oak branch. Nuc is less costly but still holds in it own right. What I prefer, and some may not, is that aside from very few action makers, ARC makes a three lug action. I love me some three lug actions! I find the lock up smoother and IMO they lend to enhanced accuracy. Certainly the later can be debated as-nausea, but again, just my opinion.
Bottom line is once you get away from “factory” actions and approach the 1K mark, they are ALL great platforms!

Mausingfield or Nucleus. For the money the Nuke 2.0 is a no brainer.

MF may still be able to be had in an open top to save weight if you're concerned about that at all.

On the note of weight, I also have a Mack Bros Ti action and it's not CRF, but it runs VERY smooth for a Ti action and the price is right.

Reactions: MikeRTacOps
I love me some three lug actions! I find the lock up smoother and IMO they lend to enhanced accuracy. Certainly the later can be debated as-nausea, but again, just my opinion.
I've never heard that before. What made you come to that conclusion?

I’m a Bighorn fan but lately I’ve been thinking about picking up a Nuke for a BR build. Not much feedback on the Gen2 out there though. 🤷‍♂️

The Zermatt's are simpler and their tolerances are spot on. If you want to do prefits, Zermatt's will be the least problematic.

I have a first gen Nucleus, and ARC just sent me an updated bolt head, an updated action wrench, and two new weights of springs to try. I paid nothing but the shipping, and again to send my original bolt head and action wrench back. I have been shooting the original bolt head for years, and never felt there was anything wrong with per se, but the option was made available to me when I was inquiring about the updated action wrench to torque to 150lb/ft. The revised head does have noticeably less click on close. Running the old bold fast you’d never know there was anything different from any other action, but closing slowly you could feel it.
I just received my Archimedes, and all 5 prefits I was shooting on the Nucleus headspace identically on the Archimedes. The Archimedes is a clear step above the Nucleus, but I’ll be shooting both for a long time to come.
If you’re an engineering type nerd and want to geek out on features, the Archimedes is the hands down winner in that category. If you prefer a more simplistic approach and just want something that works without being overly technical, of that list, it’s the Mausingfield.

I have a Archimedes and a Mausingfield and prefer the Mausingfield. I find the bolt stop/release difficult to operate more often than not. If your already considering the Archimedes then add the extra dollars and get the Mausingfield.

The Zermatt's are simpler and their tolerances are spot on. If you want to do prefits, Zermatt's will be the least problematic.
Are you saying that ARC will be problematic with prefits or just making a general statement about not having problems with Zermatt?

Are you saying that ARC will be problematic with prefits or just making a general statement about not having problems with Zermatt?
I'm making a general statement about Zermatt's not having problems.

I've got 3 ARC actions and a couple buddies have 2 more. All of our barrels interchange. A guy can also make a recoil lug for the Nucleus .100" thicker that accepts tl3 prefits.

Reactions: Dooby
Honestly I would have bought a Nucleus action when I bought by Defiance, but I already had 2 Remage barrels I wanted to use up.

I'm sorry to hear about @Loki_The_Trickster 's experience with American Rifle Company. In my experience they've had some growing pains, but I've dealt with them quite a bit over the past year and it's been great. Someone always answers the phone or calls me back directly.

As to @Deadline 's question ....I've had several different actions. I've never needed CRF, but I like it.
I haven't tried an open top Mausingfield, but with a smaller (lighter) bolt knob I'll bet it's a pretty nice action.

I sold my Mausingfield because I prefer the Archimedes for my competition gun.
I used to use my Bighorn TL3 for for comps, but since I'm using the Arch I sold the TL3 and bought an SR3 (for the feed lips)....that's what I used for my hunting rifle last year.

You won't make a bad choice as long as you know what you want it to do and weigh.

Good Luck,
Ross

I've got 3 ARC actions and a couple buddies have 2 more. All of our barrels interchange. A guy can also make a recoil lug for the Nucleus .100" thicker that accepts tl3 prefits.
Tell me more about this. Is this available somewhere? Its not on ARC's webpage. CF profits are more available for Zermatt than ARC so this could be good info.

Tell me more about this. Is this available somewhere? Its not on ARC's webpage. CF profits are more available for Zermatt than ARC so this could be good info.

I had one made. Nothing outside the capabilities of a CNC 3 axis machine or an adventurous manual mill operator. I'll see if I can find the print tomorrow.

KIMG2472.JPG

Reactions: Tokay444
ARCLUG.JPG

Being 1.350" forward of the 'existing' lug portion, it doesn't let you use the wedge lock on the XYLO. A guy could make it 1.250 in the front and avoid that issue.

• Love
Reactions: Steel head
View attachment 7628722

Being 1.350" forward of the 'existing' lug portion, it doesn't let you use the wedge lock on the XYLO. A guy could make it 1.250 in the front and avoid that issue.
I had a gunsmith do something similar. I haven't had time to mess with it yet, but I would assume no issues with the wedge lock removed from the xylo???

I've got an Axiom and Arc, shooting 6.5-06AI at pretty high speeds. The ARC is HANDS DOWN the better functioning. The CRF feeds perfect and the extraction is great! Wish I would have spent the extra coin in the first place.

I got in on the pre-buy of the Nuke.

I had light strikes with the 16# spring, so I upped it to 19#.

I still had light strikes with the heavier spring unless I took the bolt apart and cleaned it every 100 rounds.

Even without lube on the spring I'd have issues if it wasn't clean.

I expected better and sold it off.

I had a gunsmith do something similar. I haven't had time to mess with it yet, but I would assume no issues with the wedge lock removed from the xylo???

Nope, I have never noticed any difference with or without it. I kind of thought of it as insurance in case an action screw worked loose, but not a necessity by any means.

Reactions: MakeSawdust
I got in on the pre-buy of the Nuke.

I had light strikes with the 16# spring, so I upped it to 19#.

I still had light strikes with the heavier spring unless I took the bolt apart and cleaned it every 100 rounds.

Even without lube on the spring I'd have issues if it wasn't clean.

I expected better and sold it off.
If its the one I bought off you it has worked flawlessly and I've shot the piss out of it....

Terminus Zeus is a great action, everything is integrated into it, smooth operation, 60 degree throw and allows quick barrel changes.

I owned an Archimedes and a Mausingfield. The Mausingfield feels smoother and tighter (think fit and finish); I believe this is because the Archimedes has some bolt wiggle due to the bolt having a pivot for extraction. I also prefer the bolt stop on the Mausingfield as you know if it is properly engaged by looking at it, you can't tell with the Archimedes.

I sold the Archimedes and kept the Mausingfield. I am now running a Terminus Zeus head to head against the Mausingfield and in all likelyhood will be selling the Mausingfield shortly. The Mausingfield is a bit smoother but the ability to use AW mags, the quick change barrel, the 60 degree bolt throw, and better customer service by Terminus are probably going to win out.

I pre-ordered a Nucleus.
It's a good action. Nice and smooth.
But the beta testing was done by those of us dumb enough to pre-order or buy in the first year. I went 16 days and over a dozen attempts at phone and email contact with no success for some concerns I had. It was like they dropped off the face of the earth.
When they finally got back to me and others with said concerns, Ted chose to be a condescending dick.

For that reason, ARC won't get another penny from me.
My TL3 is much better anyway.

Full thread:

Ted:
Post in thread 'Nucleus owners/holders: mausingfield comparison and CRF issues' https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...omparison-and-crf-issues.6900082/post-7225764
while I won’t argue that his words could’ve been chosen a bit better for a guy building his customer base, I tend to assume this crowd prefers not to sugarcoat our thoughts and it would seem he does too.

that was my thread and it largely answered the questions I had.

I eventually bought a used gen 1 nuke off here (still running the original spring without issues) and detailed an excellent customer service experience with ARC in another post.

I’m pleased with the action (which is now a switch barrel with a WTO switchlug) and I’ll be getting another nuke or a mausingfield from them sometime soon

I have one of the Nuke Gen 1 actions that was pre-ordered. I've never had a single issue out of it, and it still has the original firing pin spring in it. I'm fixing to order a Gen 2 for a new build.