• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New rifle and scope sighting in question...

jcclow

Private
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2009
Hello all. I just purchased my first high power rifle... a Remington 700 .308 SPS Tactical. I know it's nothing fancy, but she's mine and it's a good base to begin with. I mounted a Bushnell 3200 Elite 10x40 on the rifle and I'm going to the range on Monday to sight her in and shoot her for the first time. My question... once I get a round I like (I'm planning on handloading in the very near future, either a 155gr Lapua Scenar or a 168gr Sierra HPBT) should I reset the turrets on my scope back to the "0" once I have it zeroed in?

That's my girl all cleaned and ready for her first outing.

DSC_7542-Edit.jpg

Re: New rifle and scope sighting in question...

JC,
Once you get it sighted in with whatever ammo your gonna use at first. You will need to resight it for the 155's and another sight in for the 168. I'd find a load IT likes and load it for that. Sight it in rezero the turret. If your gonna handload I'd suggest going with the 155's or 175 SMK. The 175's are better then the 168's for 1K work.

SOTA

zero the scope for the round that you will shoot the most. If you're going to take the time and develop accurate handloads, zero for that exact round.

+1

As the other posters have said, wait until you settle on a specific load before re-zeroing your turrets. My load is 175 Sierra Matchking HPBT with IMR 4064, CCI Benchrest primers, using a Federal case. I like the 175's because as the other poster said, they'll get you out to 1K. Benchrest primers are the most important component (next to the bullet) because they ensure consistent ignition. Once you have your load worked up and finalized, then reset your turrets. Are the turrets on the 3200 Elite resettable? Never looked that close on mine as it's on my Savage .22.

I believe the turrets are resettable. The scope came with a little Allen key that matches the one on top of the turrets.

Yeah, I just read a great article on benchrest primers at larrywillis.com. I would eventually like to compete and see what happens. I'll have to definitely look at the ballistics for the 175's. I should mention that the barrel is a 1:12. You think the 175's will stabilize with that? My wish list includes a Krieger at 1:10.

The turrets are resettable. I have that exact scope on an AR and had another 3200 elite with the same turrets that could be reset. Very simple to do.

I also have the same SPS rifle, my first handloads are the 168smk's and they have worked real well. Haven't gotten out with them much but the 100 yard sight ins are creating groups that impress me even with my mediocre shooting skills.

Thanks for confirming that. How do you like the scope? I am very impressed with it so far. Going shooting with it the new rifle for the first time this Monday. I'm really excited.

I really cant wait to start handloading and milking the rifle for all she's got. Then I'm going to need to win the lotto to afford upgrades!
laugh.gif