• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Rifle Break In

M1A1TankerTom

Private
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2009
USA
Hey all, I am brand new to precision rifles and need some advice. I just picked up a Rem 700 (SPS Tactical, .308). What is the proper way to "break in" the rifle. I have done a little searching around the site and some people say break in is not necessary, some talk of polishing rounds, some talk of polishing the barrel. I dont know what is necessary, I want to do whatever will make my rifle as accurate as possilbe. What do you recomend for a new rifle?

By the way I will be shooting Federal Gold Medal Match 175 grain rounds.

Re: New Rifle Break In

Throw it down a flight of stairs.

Then spit on it.

Then put your optics on it. Then clean the barrel to get any machining gunk out.

Then shoot it until accuracy suffers.

Then clean it again.

Feel free to throw it down the steps as many times as necessary.

Dude, just shoot it. It wants to be shot. You want to shoot it. Simple.

I can tell you what I do. Clean it well before you shoot it the first time. Go shooting, when the accuracy starts to falloff clean it again.

You have a good beginner rifle right there, just shoot the piss out of it. Personally, im with everyone else. There is no need to use any lapping ammo, or anything fancy. Just shoot it. Your rifle should like 175's but also give others a try, we have had good success with 168's in the sps tacticals.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">some one post NOBODY's barrel break in procedure...... </div></div>

You beat me to it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">some one post NOBODY's barrel break in procedure...... </div></div>

is that the one where he throws the rifle to the ground several times? Speaking of the dude, where the hell has be been?

I think he got kicked-off for being too nice to everyone!
smile.gif

As far as Break-in... HaHaHaHa!

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TRRahHX9Zkg"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TRRahHX9Zkg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M1A1TankerTom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey all, I am brand new to precision rifles and need some advice. I just picked up a Rem 700 (SPS Tactical, .308). What is the proper way to "break in" the rifle. I have done a little searching around the site and some people say break in is not necessary, some talk of polishing rounds, some talk of polishing the barrel. I dont know what is necessary, I want to do whatever will make my rifle as accurate as possilbe. What do you recomend for a new rifle?

By the way I will be shooting Federal Gold Medal Match 175 grain rounds. </div></div>

Sorry about all the Smart-ass comments... But, you see, this topic has been beaten beyond recognition here. The best thing to do is what makes you the most comfortable.

I would only add one thing. There are endless theories on break in from noting to some very specific firing/cleaning sequences involving as much as 100 rounds but one thing I have found to be indisputable is that if you don't use a high quality bore guide anytime you run a rod down your bore you are better off to never clean your gun.

The cleaning rod damage in the throat will outweigh any possible benefits of whatever process you choose.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TRRahHX9Zkg"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TRRahHX9Zkg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object> </div></div>

I'm glad to see someone got it up here.
grin.gif

LOL I forgot all about that Vid, when I get back to the states I am gonna try to find a rifle with a cow barrel on it.

03c95ef272.jpg

It's a myth...just go shoot the damned thing!Clean it when the accuracy starts to fall off...