• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Rifle Build - 6.5 PRC or 300 WSM.. or others?

Heston McBride

Private
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2023
Lampasas Texas
Hey gentlemen, 1st post, glad to be apart of the hide. Lots of questions so bear with me. I’ve been hunting and shooting a long time but never taken it super serious or been competitive but lately I’ve started getting the urge to build some nicer rifles and start spending too much money on ammo. I just finished ordering all the parts for a 6mm CM build for my wife. Zer Origin w/ Proof pre-fit. I’m excited to get that up and running but now I’ve got the bug and I’m planning a Christmas present for myself.

1st off how dumb is it to choose a caliber to build for because you have 10 boxes of ammo? That’s rhetorical but regardless I’ve got some left over .300 WSM and I’ve found some parts to start a terminus / proof build. Besides having some ammo, from what I’ve read I like this caliber and think it could be a good place to start. (I’ll get to purpose of the gun soon)

On the other hand a 6.5 PRC seems to be a much more popular round. I see lots of barrel / action options. Ammo seems somewhat available and most seem to be happy with that calibers performance.

So what’s the gun used for?? As of now I see this gun being 50/50 between a fun bench gun and Texas hunting. Whitetail, mule deer, antelope. Possibly some elk hunting but it won’t be as common. I would like to start getting into some long range shooting and maybe get involved with some local long range events at some point if I can. I like to think I’ll start loading my own ammo but it’s not likely to happen soon so for now I’ll be dealing with store bought rounds.

Is the .300 wsm too much caliber for those animals? Is the 6.5 PRC a little light for Elk or even something larger? (I know all about how important shot placement is, I’m just asking in general) Which one is more fun off the bench? The gun won’t be super light or super heavy. I’m not going for dedicated bench but I don’t mind carrying a heavier than normal hunting rifle either.

Also I’m not married to a Short Action for any reason, it has its advantages but I’m open to other options. If I should throw it all out the window and get a 6.5 CM or .300 win mag that’s fine too lol.

Mainly looking for a do-it-all cartridge with some decent store bought ammo available that will perform pretty well. I’d like to brag about a 1/2” MOA or better gun if I can.

Maybe they don’t make such a thing but I thought this might be the place to find out. What are some opinions from strangers on the internet? Lol fire away guys. Thanks for the advice ahead of time. I appreciate any help I can get as I’m just learning the ropes here. Cheers.

Reactions: Mule_Deer_hunter
The PRC is ballistically similar to the 6.5 Swede and the 6.5 x .284.
At extended ranges, the WSM is going to deliver more energy than the PRC, and this is an important consideration when it comes to Elk.

I was at the same point you are deciding between the 6.5prc and 300wsm. Like you I had a case of 300wsm ammo from a previous trade. I ended up going 300wsm and had zero complaints or regrets. I use mine for hunting deer and elk.

Reactions: Heston McBride
I was at the same point you are deciding between the 6.5prc and 300wsm. Like you I had a case of 300wsm ammo from a previous trade. I ended up going 300wsm and had zero complaints or regrets. I use mine for hunting deer and elk.
What kind of action / barrel is your 300 wsm. I’m seeing a 1:10 twist is popular in that caliber.

There is a significant difference in recoil between the 300 WSM and the 6.5 PRC. For hunting this doesn’t matter but for extended shooting at the bench or competition, the recoil of the 300 WSM will be something to consider. It can be done. There are F-class shooters that do it. Only you can answer the question of how you handle recoil.

Go 280ai.

My old man and I just built up an old rem 30-06 in to a 280ai and we are quite happy with it. Shoots great, easy to shoot at the range without getting beat up. Finding factory ammo pretty regularly locally. I really like 7mm for a do it all rig, less recoil than the 300's and you'll have to shoot some heavy bullets out of the 300's to match the 280ai.

I like 300 wsm for elk, but 6.5 prc works great for everything else you listed. For competition usage, 6.5 prc works much better. It may be worth considering a 7mm short action round as a do all. The slightly heavier bullets and greater energy are good enough for elk

use your wife's 6mm for matches, bench etc. then get a 300 for hunting if elk is in the future. 7prc would work nice too and with all the buzz there's a decent amount of ammo out there for it.