• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New rifle build: AR10 or M1A? Thoughts?

sictransitjosh

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2012
New Jersey
Well, I'm looking to build a new rifle, and I'm just asking for opinions/suggestions. It will be a .308, and I've narrowed it down to either an AR-10, or an M1A.

I love M1As to begin with, always loved the Sage Mod 0 chassis for it. But, also love the AR-10 platform as well.
It will be used for precision shooting/close range if need be, which both are good for.
I will be modding a couple things on the gun regardless of which I choose to go with.
The M1A for a standard is ~$1500, plus the $700 Sage chassis.
The AR-10 would no doubt save me money at around $1600 plus ~$250 for the stock I like.
These don't include prices with other things such as bipods, forgrip, grip, magazines, etc.

Now I'm sure you know what they both look like, but here's a couple pics of what they look like standard, to what I'd mod mine to be like.

AR-10

10a4bfmedium350.jpg

after some modding it'd be like this:

5596340472_9bea4b10ce.jpg

DSC_41272.jpg

DSC_41142.jpg

M1A

Springfield%20M1A%20.308%20-%20$1329.jpg

after the Sage Mod 0

mark14-mod0-enhanced-battle-rifle.jpg

2012-08-27184135.jpg

epezent.jpg

Anyway, like I said, I was just looking for some opinions and thoughts of yours

Last edited:
My son has the m1a in that exact chassis and I'm trying to get it to shoot. So far its been around 1 1/2" at 100 yd. personally I would think a person could get the AR 10 to shoot better and you can load the ammo up a little stouter too. I'm nostalgic and love the m1a in its original configuration but to each their own.

if you want a shooter, build an AR-10- or variant- and don't look back. Buy a receiver set and all of the pieces and build it up from components and you can save some extra cash by not buying what you don't want. Or, you could you could buy a top shelf rifle in the configuration that you want, and rest easy in the knowledge that it will maintain it's resale value if you ever want to sell...

An Armalite AR-10 national match is guaranteed 1moa out of the box. As much as I like the m1a platform and you CAN get them to shoot it's more work and special tweaks than the AR platform.
That being said I own four M1a's and might get a SAGE stock for one of them. I use iron sights and the M1 & M14 have the best sights ever put on a battle rifle.

don't get me wrong... lovin the MIA! but if you want a CONSISTENT sub-moa shooter, then you better hook up with an AR

you will forever be fiddling with an M1A trying to get it or keep it as accurate as you want but if you go into it knowing it is what it is then they are nice ass rifles. In my opinion In this situation the only logical choice is the AR10 variant. You can get factory rifles to shoot damn well, they are one of the easiest platforms to maintain, adapt, modify and it can change and grow with you as your skills/tasks evolve, not so much with an M1A

I gotta say, though I love the M1a and have put a couple together, I find myself wanting to get into an AR10, I am looking into GAP and hogan/POF. To echo everyone else here, you will find yourself always tweaking an M1a to get it to do what you want. Mine has been a fine shooter and I have it set up in the sage chassis as well. Another big ticket item you have to invest in is optics mounting for the M1a, I dropped the 200 bucks to get the sage unit that mounts in line. Its nice, but that shit adds up really fast. Buy the M1a if you wanna be the guy that has the M1a in the EBR chassis. Or just do the right thing and buy em both. your wife will understand.....eventually....sometimes....if your lucky.

The big question is:
Are you going to put a scope on it and expect it to shoot sub-MOA ?
Yes = AR10
No = M1A
Optics mounting on the M1A flat out sucks compared to a flat top AR pattern rifle.
The M1A has a "soul" when compared to an AR, though.

CaptNemo hit it on the head. It seems like the M14/M1a series of rifles was the last rifle with a soul. I love the action and the rifle, but to get a good consistent sub-moa gun you are definitely looking at putting a good bit more money and time into getting a good one I had an M14 DMR built a little over 2 years ago and it took over a year and around $3K. It's a submoa shooter and one of my favorite rifles but finding a good M14 gunsmith was hard to do. I'd just go with the popular consensus of an AR platform for the simple fact that they are easier, more common, and a little cheaper. Only frustrating part I've found with the AR10 platform is the number of options and accessories to choose from :).

I have a scope M1A loaded.

It's a fine shooter and goes bang every time but it is not a precision instrument. Scope mounting was a hassle I had to try several different mounts to find one that worked 100% and that meant a couple months of buying mounts and at least half a dozen frustrating range trips.

AR10 I have built a few myself and all of them shot MOA or a little better with good ammunition. Scope mounting is a snap too and they handle hot loads a bit better than M1As do.

Honestly I am seriously thinking of dumping the M1A to get another 308 AR, probably a POF 16".

I've got both. Actually 2 AR-10's. A DPMS SASS, and a GAP-10. The AR-10, out shoots the M1A, all day long. I love the M1A, and you should get one, but the AR-10 is the gun for "shooting little holes".

Last edited:
I have both of these set ups .

The M1a i have is a Springfield Armory Scout Squad in a Mod 1 EBR. it will shoot right at 1 MOA or a tad over with good ammo at 100 yards. The LMW MWS will shoot .750 MOA with good ammo at times a tiny bit better. If i could only have one of these it would be the LMT MWS BUT i will tell you the Scout set up is sick also. You have to remember the M14 style rifles are meant to be Battle Rifles. I will never sell either one of these rifles they are the nicest firearms i own hands down.

If you know you are not going to get the other one later i would probably go with the Ar 10 style . BUT i would look at it like this you were going to spend 1500 on a base standard M1a then 700 which is a bit hard to find on the Mod 0 closer to 800 is realistic so you are looking at close to 2300 ish for a Standard M1a . i got my LMT MWS for 2300 dollars new from KY Gun Company on sale before all the crazy shit happen. A guy just put up a brand new one for 2700 on here . I would go with that over spending 2300 on a "Standard M1a in a EBR" you have to also figure all the extra shit you will end up buying for the M1a to get it to shoot better or just little upgrades. I ended up buying a Sadlak NM spring guide , I changed out the gas lock , both front and rear sights , muzzle brake ect. You will have to buy a mount i went with the LaRUe 168 over the Sage mount . I felt it held re zero better . Rings , these don't help it shoot better but they are nice upgrades non the less . I went with the Sadlak ext bolt release and mag release . I liked the Mod 1 over the Mod Zere i have owned both at the same time and the Mod 0 is like 2 pounds heavier i think overall . Before you know it now you are over the price of the LMT MWS and it still doesn't shoot better then the LMT . I will say dressed out with same glass they both weighed about the same (Pigs lol). I also ordered the shorter kydex that doesn't go around the bottom and ordered the 6 inch rails and took off the 4 inch ones. This makes it where you can put a forward grip anywhere on the bottom rail with ease. If you have any other questions on either one of these i am more then happy to help either with my answer or find it for you.

Last edited:
I love old battle rifles, but if you are serious about precision shooting a large frame AR is the better choice. It will be more accurate with less fiddling and afford you more options. It will also likely be cheaper in the long run.

Take a look at a Mega Arms MATEN matched receiver set and then go from there.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/videoseries?list=SP12C08ED5EF1E03C9" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I you want precision definitely go with the AR 10. It's no contest. I have 2 M1As though, and despite the steep learning curve
managing the platform, they remain two of my favorite rifles to shoot. Plus, they're pretty sexy.

SOCOM 16

Love the M1a like an old dog. He did his service and deserves his place in the house. But for field work the young dog is much more able.
So my M1a is a sentimental favorite and I would never sell it. But the Ar10 goes to the range. If you can't get both and have never had an M1a go ahead and get the AR10. If you ever have had an M1a you would not ask the question, you would get the M1a first and then an AR10.

Carried an M14 in military. Owned an M1A for a few years. Good rifle, just not a great rifle. Now have an LMT MWS. Exceptional rifle, accurate and pleasant to shoot. White Feather or MWS - get the AR10.

Carried an M14 in military. Owned an M1A for a few years. Good rifle, just not a great rifle. Now have an LMT MWS. Exceptional rifle, accurate and pleasant to shoot. White Feather or MWS - get the AR10.

One of the guys I work with carried an m1a overseas and he prefers the LMT MWS as well.

The LMT got everything right except the weight, it could stand to lose about a pound.

Zombie Attack, Civil Insurrection, Civil War, Revolution, Gang War, Neighborhood Watch, beating someone to death with rifle, get the M1A with a bayonet

Paper punching and optics friendly rifle, get the AR

I have both and love both for different reasons, 2 AR's in 308, 1 in 556. AR's are half MOA with optics, M1A is 1 MOA with iron sights, mounting a scpe on a M1a sucks even though I have a 10x mounted in a basset mount, after trying 4 different mounts.

I highly recommend you get both and be ready for any eventuality and have fun in the mean time.

I would go AR-10. had an m1a in the sage chassis, whichs looks awesome, but IMO the triggers are to heavy to do much precision shooting. i personally like light triggers.