• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New rifle build. Help needed.

atalkingsausage

Private
Minuteman
Sep 28, 2011
Asheville NC
Ok guys and girls, this will be my first post at the sniper's hide. I figured this would be the best place to ask this question so here goes: I'm about to start building a precision rifle and would greatly appreciate some input regarding components.
I'm not wanting to dump too much money into this project because my average engagement is going to be somewhere around the 4-600 yard range. I'm going to be using a remington 700 sps chambered in .308 in an HS precision stock. I'm thinking about using Seekins rings and one of their 20 MOA bases with the recoil lug. However, if you guys know of any other brands that might be of comparable quality for a little less money I would be open to suggestions.
the thing that is stumping me most at the moment is scope choice. My budget in this area is next to non-existant considering all of the really good stuff is over 1000 bucks. What i'm looking for is a variable power ffp scope with a mil to mil reticle. It needs to have a 30mm tube and I don't think i'd need more than 10 to 15x magnification on the high end. I want to keep the scope cost in the 200 to 400 dollar range. Are there any scopes like this or am I asking too much for too little money?
In all honesty I'm not going to be using this rifle in competition or any life or death scenarios ::knocks on wood:: It will be used primarily on paper targets and the occasional ground hog so I'm not looking for the utmost in rifle scope technology. I just want something that is effective for the money. What are your thoughts on scopes that I might consider and what I should stay away from? thanks.

Re: New rifle build. Help needed.

Allot of people reccomend EGW as an affordable rail type mount, I have a weaver rail on my 700, it does what a scope mount needs to do, its dimensionally true and it has a recoil lug, which I'm not convinced is neccesary. I have burris XTR and weaver "tactical" rings, I don't like the weavers small crossbolts and associated low torque spec, and the six screw caps are overkill for .308s, basically they're bulkier and heavier than needed, but I've had no funtional issues with either.
FFP $200-400? there might be one out there, I think I may have even seen a few when I was looking for scopes but they seemed too gimmicky to possibly be good. If you find one I'd like to hear about it. USMC snipers used straight 10Xs for many years to great effect, Bushnell makes one in your price range that's supposed to be quite good, i don't have experience with that model, but have had several hunting scopes by them and I think they're pretty good, especially for the money. Good luck getting that rifle together, let us know what you end up with and how it works out.

I'm still doing some soul searching on the scope. I wouldn't mind a fixed 10x at all if that is what it takes to hit my price range while having accurate/repeatable adjustments, and visual clarity.
As for the base, I know that I want the recoil lug and the 20 moa cant. So unless I decide to go badger ordinance or something really expensive, then Seekins seems to be the obvious choice.
I may fudge a little on the rings since those burris XTR's seem to be so highly reccomended and so much less expensive.
hopefully I'll be getting the barreled action today or tomorrow if I can sell some stuff in time. The base and rings should be coming within a month from now. and I plan on using a centerpoint adventure class scope until I save up for a real piece of glass (no offense to anyone who likes those scopes). I'll definitely be keeping you posted on any developments so stay tuned.

Okay guys, as it stands now it's looking like its going to be the remmy 700 in the HS precision stock with the seekins 20 moa base with burris xtr rings and a busnell elite 3200. Now my question is what type of sling do you guys recommend. I plan on running a harris bipod but i think I would like a shooting sling to aid in taking off handed shots and for situations where the bipod cant be used such as in really tall grass. Can you even use a shooting sling with a bipod attached?

Ok here's an update on how this rifle is coming together. I decided to go with the centerpoint 4-16x40 mil dot scope which is a great scope for the money. The glass is what you would expect it to be for what the scope costs however, It tracks very well and while I will probably upgrade to a bushnell 3200 tactical, in the future it is doing exactly what i need it to do right now. Those are the burris rings, I decided to go with a weaver 20 moa base since it has the same features as the seekins(should be here early next week).
After much deliberation I cut the barrel down to 20 inches and the whole thing is sitting in the HS precision stock. I'm still deciding on a sling but i'll probably end up going with the tab gear sling since it looks like it will fit my needs exactly.
Over all I have kinda cheaped out on this build but that saves money for plenty of ammo and other goodies. Right now I am just shy of the 600 dollar mark since I bought the action and the stock used. I'd love to hear any other suggestions you guys might have as far as things I can do to this rifle to make it more shoot-able at long range.
precision_rifle_by_atalkingsausage-d4crlzw.jpg