• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

new rifle "BUILD"

selfbowhunter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2006
TEXAS
am i the only one annoyed with the fact that a guy buys a rifle, scopes it, adds a bipod, buys some ammo, then calls it a build, posts it on the forums and then tricks me into wasting my time reading the description of the new mossberg they just put a scope on and a couple of pics of nice 2" groups at 50 feet. this is the only site i frequent where people "build" rifles by getting them ready to shoot. i know i am an asshole. just thought i would throw it out there. did i mention i love this site?

chuck

Re: new rifle "BUILD"

It is always good when somebody knows they are a asshole because………

Wait for it……………

Knowing is half the battle…………

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_KXCD5BQiM4"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_KXCD5BQiM4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Who the hell still hides in a fridge.............

Once the assholeness is accepted its freeing, not having to worry about it I mean......

Kinda reminds me of kids these days and thier cars. They bolt some shit on and say they built the engine. Realy, you have access to a boaring bare, mille, laith, flow bench, dyno, what else am i forgetting. Its not just haveing some wrenches that make you the builder of engines or rifles, its the knowlage and ability to make ALL the necessary changes to get the end result. Building AR on ARF, not that funny right there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You should see what they "build" at arfcom......... </div></div>

laugh.gif

SELFBOWHUNTER'S got a point...

maybe a glossary of terms will help the newbies realize that(at least in my opinion) a definition of a build worth reading:

BUILD (noun or verb depending on usage)- A weapon, sporting arm, rifle, pistol, shotgun etc. (project) that has substaintial components added or enhanced that operate and are engineered in conjuncture with each other for the intended purpose of launching a projectile downrange and hitting a designated target with more consistancy / accuracy than a factory manufactured weapon, sporting arm, rifle, pistol shotgun etc., or exceeds the average accepted performance metrics of a factory manufactured weapon, sporting arm, rifle, pistol, shotgun, etc. or at a higher rate of speed in cycling rounds + accuracy than a factory manufactured weapon, sporting arm, rifle, pistol shotgun etc.
(in my opinion a build starts with a bare receiver or frame, then specialized components are added to achieve the above directives, and to achieve the below)....

LONG RANGE SHOOTING (verb?)- To accurately and consistantly hit a target with a projectile at a greater distance than is normally accepted by a majority for the performance parameters of any given weapon, sporting arm, rifle, pistol, shotgun, etc. whether it is "built" or not.

Example: A .45 cal 1911 pistol used at 10 yards to hit a target accurately and consistantly may be considered average distance. A .45 cal 1911 pistol used at 75 yards to hit a target accurately and consistantly would probably be considered long range shooting.

A .45 cal 1911 that shoots well at 10 yards, but is not good at all at 75 yards until components are added or enhanced and has acheived the goal of launching a projectile consistantly and accurately on a target should be considered a "build" to make a "precision firearm" for the intended purpose of "long range shooting"

(a scoped .308 rifle at 100 yards is almost always considered short range, however an open sighted 30/30 at 100 yards may be considered medium to long range)

PRECISION FIREARM (noun)- A weapon, sporting arm, rifle, pistol, shotgun, etc. that is used for the intended purpose of launching a projectile downrange and hitting a designated target with more consistancy / accuracy than a factory manufactured weapon, sporting arm, rifle, pistol shotgun etc., or exceeds the average accepted performance metrics of a factory manufactured weapon, sporting arm, rifle, pistol, shotgun, etc. Most precision firearms are "built" (see build) for objectives described above.

ACCURATE RIFLE (noun)- Any rifle that consistantly launches a projectile to a target with better results than what is considered by a majority average parameters for comparable rifles.(MOA and sub MOA)

SNIPER RIFLE (noun)- Any rifle that is used by a S N I P E R.

SNIPER - I'M NOT TOUCHING THIS ONE, YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!

(i too am a card carrying member of the LMAC: loud-mouthed-asshole-club) you should see our logo. membership dues are sometimes costly, but usually rewarding....

This pretty much covers it.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aCutOI9F8Ws"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aCutOI9F8Ws" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: selfbowhunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">am i the only one annoyed with the fact that a guy buys a rifle, scopes it, adds a bipod, buys some ammo, then calls it a build, posts it on the forums and then tricks me into wasting my time reading the description of the new mossberg they just put a scope on and a couple of pics of nice 2" groups at 50 feet. this is the only site i frequent where people "build" rifles by getting them ready to shoot. i know i am an asshole. just thought i would throw it out there. did i mention i love this site?

chuck </div></div>

<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">Well you tricked me into wasting my time and reading this!!!!!</span></span>

this is a good thread for a newbie. I have always complained about this same thing in the car ring but since I'm new to the firearm side I could see myself falling down this road. lol
frown.gif
This threads helps put me back on the right track.

Although I'm not the type mentioned above going out to 50 feet and saying I have a precision rifle. LOL. I do see that a lot at the range though.

next time i will post a pic of my new marlin XL7 tactical rifle build and top of the line BSA tactical scope and then ask you why i cant shoot 1/4" groups like EVERYONE else. then you can kindly tell me to float the barrel, hone the trigger sear, glassbed the action, and load some finely tuned ammo for it. i will then respond by saying "i dont know WTF you are talking about", but this sure is a badass rifle i built isnt it? i think we need a section for people who dont have a clue. it seems like every other post these days is...."i know i am a newbie and i know this is a stupid question but.....look at my badass NEF single shot sniper rifle"! is this not supposed to be a serious website for higher learning in the rifle community? by the way, do you know of a good load using bluedot for my new 50BMG?

chuck

I just dont want people to knock others for what they can afford.

I can t afford the best of the best, that is for sure. But you have to start somewhere. I see your point on certain threads. But most of us are here to learn.(Or should be).

steve that is a bad ass build, please post a range report. But seriously what kind of bow is that, thats one bad ass looking bow

deadly0311,

It's an old Hoyt Powertech.

Yah,Just wanted to add some comic relief.

I don't want to make fun of those that can't afford a custom rifle,for sure,but I have to agree with the original poster.IMO,Don't put a scope on a factory rifle and add tactical bolt knob and call it a custom build.LOL

Steve

You should have seen the guy I saw at the range shooting a 300WM at 25 yards at a "head" target. Want to talk about messed up builds. I was thinking airgun? Same day a guy had my buddy Rich shoot a .22 at 200 with irons. Couldn't see sh*t but wanted him to keep firing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chad3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You should have seen the guy I saw at the range shooting a 300WM at 25 yards at a "head" target. Want to talk about messed up builds. </div></div>

I've shot 300wm's, an .308wins at 25yds at 1/4" dots when I was checking mech. off set. Could be he was doing the same thing. Granted a 300wm at 25yds might be overkill, but one has to know where the bullet will land if your shooting at someones switch.

Nope, guy was round after round. It was crazy. I guess I could give the benefit of the doubt, but seemed like a bit of overkill. Never set up targets at other ranges, and when I left, he had shot about 40 rounds. This was at an area with 200 yards. You are correct, if checking for a match. One shot that comes into thinking is a shot off ladder at what I believe was 25 yards in a match. So, I know that it could have been some testing, but I doubt it. I think Rob01 left before this guy came out. He was there for the .22 guy however.
Chad

Sniper deffinetion is easy....

Sniper: An indivividual that is paid to kill people/destroy oblects, while keeping people guessing.

Odds are if you are that guy....you either would never claim to be or are leagaly/morally obligated to deny the title....99% of the people that claim to be are not....I would belive that it is an earned title and just because I have a rifle built by a M40A3 builder does not make me a sniper...any more than having a woman shoot my rifle makes it a FEMALE RIFLE.

Yes building is overused.....now my rifle that I need to get pics up of should be a build???? Yes? No?

Bardered a stock, bought a barrel, bought knob, bottom metal, scope, rings, base, used an old action.....and had a smith build the barreled action. Is that going to be considered a build...or since my smith built it did I just prep it for shooting? I did torque the action screws!!!!
laugh.gif

i am sorry if i have given the impression of being an elitist with money. i am not and i do not look down upon people who can only afford xxx because i am certainly one of them. this has nothing to do with cost. i was just trying to make the point that there are a lot of silly questions asked here that anyone able to read could find the answeres to elsewhere. there are quite a few reloading sites around and i dont see why a site of this caliber should entertain ignorant questions. i dont think people buying their rifles, dropping them into another stock, and shooting some spray paint on them should be claiming to have "built" anything. i do in fact "build" my own rifles. i have never had any formal training as far as running machinery etc, but i can read, and did. i also asked legitimate questions on a number of forums and then i jumped in and did it. anyone here has that potential. until then, well.......i am still an asshole. by the way, does anyone out there have some data for my 9mm XDM using h4831 and russian large rifle magnum primers? i have a bunch of it and would like to shoot it up.

chuck

I am not a financial guru by any means but I work pretty fucking hard and I want to play with the money I earn...not die at 80 years old and leave a bunch of money to my kids those assholes better work hard their enitre life too and not expect any handouts!!!

Realisticly I have roughly $1800 in my build and it took me 3-4 years to finally get it done...but I sure as shit shot the rifle before I had it built too....speaking of which I need to get pics up and show off my latest "BUILD"!!!
laugh.gif

Im conflicted about this thread.

Why shit on someone's work?

If a guy buys a house... then replaces the toilet and does a few other things... it doesn't mean he is a carpenter... but he damn sure put in some man hours and learned a lot... and most likely felt a lot of pride in what he accomplished.

If a guy buys a rifle, spends a lot of time choosing rings, and an optic... then screws it all together and she ends up being a shooter, it doesn't make him a gunsmith, but I bet he damn sure feels proud of his rifle.

Why shit on him for it?

I say LET them post their rifles regardless of what the thread is called or how much time they have in it. They are here, and they probably want to learn, so why slap them in the face for starting somewhere and being proud of it?

point taken....i guess we need a section on SNIPERSHIDE for people who feel great pride in mounting a scope.

chuck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: selfbowhunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> i dont think people buying their rifles, dropping them into another stock, and shooting some spray paint on them should be claiming to have "built" anything. i do in fact "build" my own rifles.</div></div>

do you build the action, rifle the barrel and make the stock? if not, and you really want to nit-pick what it is called, you are just an assembler like the rest. where do you want to draw the line of what is considered "built"? it sounds like you want to draw the line where it makes you look better/more advanced than the rest.

i say who gives a fuck what someone wants to call the work they did to their rifle. if someone collected parts of their choosing, put them all together to create a rifle combo that they wanted, i have no problem with them calling it "built" or "their build".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...i say who gives a fuck what someone wants to call the work they did to their rifle. if someone collected parts of their choosing, put them all together to create a rifle combo that they wanted, i have no problem with them calling it "built" or "their build". </div></div>

Exactly. Why stress out over someone calling their rifle a build? unless someone is harboring an inferiority complex......
cool.gif

Ill agree with 300sniper, and say that this topic also probably belongs in the bear pit....
I also think that you shouldn't bash a guy for trying his best to assemble a rifle and show it off here. He isn't competing with you and your superior build skills I mean assembly skills. He or she might just be trying to fit in to this group of shooters and wants to show what he is working with.

Take a chill pill

Assemble and build are somewhat synonymous.

I "built" all of the AR15's I own. I didn't screw the extension on the barrel or ream the chamber, but I did select each component and install them in a stripped lower, check function, then tune the fire control group and the cycling of the weapon. I would consider this a "build" as much as when my son "builds" a lego playset. He didn't injection mold the blocks, but he used his imagination to bring a finished piece out of a concept using the parts that were available to him.

Now I agree that I don't consider it a "build" when you install a scope an bipod on a factory rifle. But you have to ask yourself at what point does a factory rifle become a "custom built" rifle? Is it when you replace the stock? What about the trigger? Is it when you rebarrel it? Or when you install an aftermarket bolt or handle? You can have a rifle that looks and functions completely different from the factory rifle without every touching the action.

So what is a "build" and what is a "custom"?

It doesn't matter unless you can shoot it. So let's just shut up and shoot!

nuff said. i will go back to playing with all my friends, friend, self.

chuck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i dont see why a site of this caliber should entertain ignorant questions. </div></div>

Because failure to do so is to be an elitist of the mind. Worse than an elitist concerning wealth. Almost anyone can accumulate great wealth.

The measure of the greatness of a man is when he believes there is no such thing as a stupid question.