• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Rifle Coming! Couple of questions and tips!

HSerper3

Private
Minuteman
May 25, 2010
Hey guys, I have been lurking on this board for a while now, but finally decided to man up and sign up. I just bought my second rifle, the Remington 700 XCR Tactical Long Range. (also have a 10 22) I have to wait until my ten day wait is up, which is on friday, but i also picked up a leupold vx-3 scope for it, as well as a harris bipod. I am really excited to get the new rifle and shoot it, but i have some questions:

As far as ammo is concerned: I know the match ammo is the way to go, but I am not exactly rolling in it, so after i sight in the rifle, practice some shooting etc, can i just use cheap ammo in it for 100yd plinking at cans? How much worse should the accuracy be, i saw it can shoot about .5-1 moa worse with non match ammo, is that pretty reasonable, or is it going to be even worse? Is there some ammo that i should stay away from completely due to it being harmful to the barrel or anything along those lines?
Any other tips you guys can help me with i would really appreciate it!
Thanks guys, I really appreciate this forum as a resource!

Re: New Rifle Coming! Couple of questions and tips!

I have definately been thinking about it! I am definately planning on going that route, just need to save up some for the equiptment....

10 day wait? You Cali also? I get to pick mine up on Wed.

Good guns.
+1 for another California resident shooter.

Yea i live in cali... love this place but its like gun hell..
I have never bought ammo online, i usually either go to wall mart or stock up at gun shows.... i was told that here in cali we cant buy ammo online...
is this true?

My Savage consistently shoots Win Silvertip 168 gr hunting rounds in the .4 to .5 moa range and they are almost half the cost of 168gr FGMM. My point is try every kind of decent ammo you can get your hands on and see what your rifle shoots well.

eta: Where in Cali?

I live in the south bay area. Sunnyvale to be exact. 45-60 min south of san francisco.
i think i will then just sight the rifle in with the fgmm and then try different brands and see what else works ok.. maybe take some notes so i can compare at a later date, and try again to see if i get the same results.

I live in the south bay area. Sunnyvale to be exact. 45-60 min south of san francisco.
i think i will then just sight the rifle in with the fgmm and then try different brands and see what else works ok.. maybe take some notes so i can compare at a later date, and try again to see if i get the same results.