• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New rifle, couple concerns.

dannydifalco

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 27, 2011
New York
I just got a brand new Rem 700 SPS tactical. Im not new to these ive had a couple sps tacticals in the past. I have a couple concerns though.

1. The rifle is brand new but the trigger seems out of spec to me. The Xmark pro trigger adjustment screw is protruding out of the bottom. Never saw this before. Also the trigger pull seems really light! Their is almost no break in it, just touch it and it clicks. Is their a way to set it back to the normal 3.5lbs? Can i turn it all the way in then unturn 2 turns, or are all triggers "unique"? Yes i know the triggers suck but i cant afford the timney 510 just yet.

2. I also want to know the torque specs for the bottom metal screws on the stock houge stock?

3. I have a badger ordnance rail im installing and badger m40 rings. The badger instructions say to put locktite under the rail to prevent rust. Also it says not to put on scope ring screws? Has anyone done this? What color locktite do i use red, blue, or green? Does putting locktite under the base going to be permanent or can i use alcohol or remove? Stupid question but ive never heard of doing it. Thanks for you help!!

Re: New rifle, couple concerns.

Dunno bout you, but if the trigger is safely consistent (drop test / bolt slam test and whatnot) I'd keep it that way and be thrilled.

I hated the trigger on my 308 SPS-AAC-SD, but it was easily adjustable and you could put yours back in a heartbeat if you're not a fan of hair triggers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSwift</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dunno bout you, but if the trigger is safely consistent (drop test / bolt slam test and whatnot) I'd keep it that way and be thrilled.

I hated the trigger on my 308 SPS-AAC-SD, but it was easily adjustable and you could put yours back in a heartbeat if you're not a fan of hair triggers.</div></div> I have not got it to go off from anything other then pulling the trigger so thats good!

Remington says each full turn of the adjustment screw equals 1 lb of adjustment roughly. There are instructions in the manual that came with the rifle. Torque specs for the stock screws are also in the manual I think.
The purple colored Loctite is the easiest to get off after installation.

The screw is protruding because who ever sold you the rifle (probably a shop owner) backed it out so that the trigger pull was light (easier to sell a rifle with a light trigger). Just screw it back in until if feels good to you.

65 ft/lbs on the bottom metal. Don't over tighten or you could damage

Blue fucking loctight. You don't want to mess with red (or atleast the next owner won't)...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 58blackflag</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Remington says each full turn of the adjustment screw equals 1 lb of adjustment roughly. There are instructions in the manual that came with the rifle. Torque specs for the stock screws are also in the manual I think.
The purple colored Loctite is the easiest to get off after installation.</div></div> I followed the instructions which say the trigger comes at 3.5 pounds and has 2lbs of adjustment which SHOULD mean all the way in is 5.5lbs and all the way out is 1.5lbs. So if i put the screw all the way in then backed out 2 turns it SHOULD be at 3.5 im assuming. The torque specs are not in the manual anywhere. Atleast mine. And which is the purple locktite? Is that lower then green?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: quacktastic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The screw is protruding because who ever sold you the rifle (probably a shop owner) backed it out so that the trigger pull was light (easier to sell a rifle with a light trigger). Just screw it back in until if feels good to you.

65 ft/lbs on the bottom metal. Don't over tighten or you could damage

Blue fucking loctight. You don't want to mess with red (or atleast the next owner won't)... </div></div> I bought the rifle straight from Remington and transferred it to myself at my job. Im most likely going to use blue locktite. and also i see the military / law enforcement torque specs are to 65in-lb but thats with different stocks and on some rifles different bottom metals. I emailed remington any they told me 35-45?????? I bet if i emailed them again i would get a different answer.

Most definitely NOT 65 ft/lbs

65 in/lbs for actual steel bottom metal.

45 in/lbs is correct for alloy. Anything more and you risk cracking the bottom metal.

Adjust your trigger to around 3 to 3.5 lbs and you'll be happy.
I don't care for the narrow, smooth face of the new trigger, but they are entirely functional and I have shot very well with both an x mark and an x mark pro. You do not need to put sealant on the screw that protrudes into the trigger shoe.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most definitely NOT 65 ft/lbs

65 in/lbs for actual steel bottom metal.

45 in/lbs is correct for alloy. Anything more and you risk cracking the bottom metal.

Adjust your trigger to around 3 to 3.5 lbs and you'll be happy.
I don't care for the narrow, smooth face of the new trigger, but they are entirely functional and I have shot very well with both an x mark and an x mark pro. You do not need to put sealant on the screw that protrudes into the trigger shoe.</div></div> Thanks I will adjust to 45in-lb until i get a new stock/bottom metal. And yea out of all my xmark pros this trigger feels alot different. I know this gun was made in the last 3 weeks also. Maybe they fixed it, because i can definitely feel a difference when adjusting.

I just picked up an 700 AAC-SD with a Hogue stock. I went to check the torque on it and it was north of 50 in-lbs out of the box.

Follow Badger's instructions for rings and you should be good. I usually use blue locktite on my stuff that requires it.