• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New rifle courtesy of Terry Cross at KMW

Blaster4

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2005
Virginia
www.teamblaster.net
Just got this in yesterday. All of my rifles besides my .308 have 28" bbls. I use the longer bbls to get the most velocity out of my 6mm and 6.5mm however it comes at a cost. I cant run a can on it otherwise I would be running around 34" which is not good for the bus drill...lol

So I looked around and figured if i wanted a shorter bbl and have some decent velocity at the end of it I would go with a bigger bore...so I went 30cal. I figure the bigger the bore the more powder i can push through it. Not sure thats true or not but it's what I was thinking.

So I had this rifle chambered in Hornady's new 300RCM. Basically it's along the same lines as any other short mag but Hornady has some whizbang powder in there that allows you to get some pretty nice numbers.

I used a Surgeon WSM action and a Kreiger bbl cut to 22" plus another 2" added for the Surefire brake. So it's about 24" in total which is more than comfy. I dropped it in my McM A5 stock which has seen three different actions to date...I just swich them out. Hey, I like that stock...lol

So with the can attached its still in the "easy to swing" range as its as long as my other rifles but a tad lighter.

I will have some numbers this weekend maybe so I will update this later.

Thanks, Terry for another excellent piece of gear.

Here are some pics.

surg1.jpg

surg2.jpg

Re: New rifle courtesy of Terry Cross at KMW

Nice looking rifle man! And please edumacate us on that caliber.

Also where can I get one of those protective cover behind the bipod? Thanks.

The stock pad under the fore arm can be purchased at Sotech. It's really a nice piece of gear.

As for the details on the caliber its on Hornady's website. I dont know how to post the pdf file here. It's nothing special other than the fact that I can get some pretty decent velocities out of a shorter barrel and be able to run a can without getting to long.

I get to run my same Badger mags with this set up though they will be a couple rounds short. I dont have to change any gear around. I get to run every caliber i compete with in the same A5 stock and keep the bottom metal and magazines. I can compete with a can or not depending on what the competition entails. It's nothing fancy and by no means a "windcheater". The ballistics out of the 22" barrel will be on par with any of the 6.5's out there running in a short action.

This rifle was built to compete with a can on. I'm not a fan of competing with just a brake. I hate getting dirt and veg blown in my face and scope objective from others and don't want to be that guy. Plus I have this Surefire can sitting here waiting to get some action.

So, if the numbers look good with the factory loaded ammo...I will pull the SST bullets and just seat an AMAX in it's place.

I tried feeding a mag full and I think I might have to adjust the feed lips a bit. The top two rounds were hard to feed and the last one would not feed from the mag at all. There is still a lot of work to be done. With luck I will have it ready for the Bash...if not I will just run the 6.5CM since I know that works perfectly.

Hey, at least you can use a .30cal cleaning rod again!

grin.gif

Yes, post some groups or velocities, would be interested in hearing more about the cartridge.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey, at least you can use a .30cal cleaning rod again!

grin.gif
</div></div>
That's funny right there!!

180 grainer going 300fps out of a 24" barrel sounds nice...

"The Ruger Compact Magnum's deliver on all the empty promises of the WSM cartridges."

That's a pretty bold statement, but considering the performance of the 6.5 Creedmore (which I adore)they may have a legitimate claim.
Case dimensions smaller, thinner than WSM'S?

How did you get Terry Cross to do the work? I really wanted a rifle from him but he is/was not taking orders.

Can you remember the color ratio of the A5, yours is what I wanted but mine came out not even close to that.

Nice stick, if ever I hope its from Terry.

Thanks

Thanks for posting that, Lindy.

I ran some numbers on the 155, 168, and 178gr AMAX. After looking at them the 168 is gonna give me the best bang for the buck...all of this is on paper of course and still needs to be proven at the rifle.

I dont think the case is anything fancy or that different that the other short mags out there. I think the key to this is the powder that Hornady is using. The powder isn't available yet...

--KJ

The work Kevin is showing was committed to a good while back. 1968 I think. Well maybe not 1968 but Kevin probably thinks that is not far from the truth.

Kevin took one of my Gift Certificates from the prize table at one of the matches. I don't think he shot in it. He just showed up and took the certificate. Anyway. . . . this job was the result of Kevin trusting me to do the work on the prize certificate he won and the fact that we are long time lovers . . . of brisket.

I am glad you were/are interested in anything I am doing at the shop and hope to have some "spec" rifles ready in the not too distant future.

Let me know how it shoots Kevin and thanks for being patient with me. BTW, did you get your rabbit I sent along with the rifle?

Everybody have a safe holiday weekend.

Terry

Terry,

How much EXCELLENT brisket does it cost to be able to place an order for one of your rifles?

Let me know. I "know somebody" in the EXCELLENT brisket business ....

grin.gif

Hey KD GREAT rifle. It is always good to try a new caliber. Jacob has tried to talk me into geting a 7WSM. After shooting his rifle a couple of time I LIKE IT.

Terry GREAT work.

I agree, Pete. I'm waiting with baited breath for Hornady to roll out a 7mmRCM....

KJ

PS...yes Terry I got the magnet...its on the fridge as we speak...hahahahaha

Very nice! The things I would do to get my hands on a Sentinel stock would probably make a Marine blush.....
whistle.gif

Makes me re-think the .284 Shehane, which I've been leaning toward lately.

KJDrake

First off any rifle worked on by Terry is gold IMHO. And second that is a great looking rifle, looking forward to see how that 300RCM works out for you.

Thanks,
L.

Hahaha...I always thought that was Jacob Gottfriedson...lol

That 300RCM is Hornady's loaded 165gr SST ammo. There still is room to seat the bullet out further in the magazine. I haven't removed the front piece from my Badger mags yet but I'm sure at some point I will.

The .308 round Is a 168grHPBT...ANOTHER REASON WHY I'm GOING WITH THE 168AMAX.

--KJ

man that looks like a cookin cartridge

Why the 168 over the 180's? Just curious as I'm more of a heavies fan.

i ran the numbers on the 155, 168, and 178AMAX. I had to base it off of the numbers they published for there hunting rounds as far as velocity goes.

The 168gr had the best of both worlds...it was flatter than the 178 and less wind than the 155. The difference between the 178 and the 168 in windage wasnt that much if I recall...I have to find the numbers on this laptop. I will post them.

Another thing to consider is I don't have this powder Hornady is using. I am just pulling bullets and seating my own. Once I take that piece of metal out of the AI mag I can seat the bullet out farther. The heavier 178+ weights might go into the powder capacity. I pulled a bullet and it is a round flake type powder. Its filled pretty high...almost to the top of the shoulder.

I didn't get to shoot it this weekend...

--KJ

168 AMAX at 3200fps at 1000yds = 7.9 mils --- 10 mph full value wind at 1000yds = 2.5 mils

178 AMAX at 3000fps at 1000yds = 8.3 mils --- 10 mph full value wind at 1000yds = 2.3 mils

So you see at least on paper the 168 has a little edge and will easily fit in the magazine. only firing it in some real wind will prove it to be so.

That's a fine looking rifle, from a fine Gentlemen. Enjoy it!

I wonder, will Hornady ever make the 'whizbang' powder available? Well, not Hornady per se, but its maker? Hrmmm....

Any update on a range report? Very interested in how this round works out.

L.

You'll soon discover that all of Terry's rifles have a nasty problem.

You see, when you pull off an incredible shot, everybody says, "Yeah, typical Terry Cross precision." Then, whenever you miss, they figure you must really suck if you managed to miss with a KMW.

Just kidding- kind of. You'll love it, no doubt! I love mine.

Yes this is my third KMW rifle...I know the drill.

I did get a brief chance to take it out. I shot it over the chrono and got 3050 avg for the 165gr factory loaded SST's. I have to tweek the feed lips on the magazine as well...I opened them up just a little to far.

The first three shots out of the barrel went into one hole at 100yds.

Still lots to do with it as far as working up a load. I did handload some 168 AMAX's with 68 grain of this X powder that I pulled form loaded rounds...also avg 3050fps.

When I was pulling the bullets (a real pain since they are crimped) to use the powder I noticed that some of the grains were sticking to the case...some even to the base of the bullet. I guess I didnt see these grains in one of the cases I reloaded because out of the blue one cranked 3230fps...yikes. The case was fine...primer looked just like the others...it measured the same as the others...and there was no problem lifting the bolt...so 3200fps may be possible...don't know yet...it was a cool afternoon and I don't know if this powder is an "Extreme" powder.

I haven't had time to mess with it. I'm gonna just wait for the new WSM mags to come out as I don't want to mess with my AI mags anymore.

I will update anything new.

--KJ

That's a cool set up you have there!

Looks like an ideal cartridge size for short action performance.
I bet R-17 powder would give you the 3200fps you desire.

Steve