• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New rifle dilema, advice and feedback appreciated

StockDog

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2007
Thorsby, AL
Currently have an older (probably 7-9 yrs old) Rem 5R in 308 that has been great, still shoots .5 MOA, and has is a good all around rifle. It is time to finally get back into shooting and upgrade to 6.5 Creedmoor. I am debating which route to go.

Hopefully you guys can offer some advice and feedback on options.

Here is is what I currently have.

Rem 5R
24" barrel
B&C M40 stock
had extended bolt knob added by my local smith
action is good but not super smooth

Purpose
i want to get back to LR competitions. We have a few here in AL.
I have a range at my house where i can shoot steel out to 800.
A few Long range classes. I took one at K&M about 5 years ago.
General Coyote and deer hunting. Not a big hunter but I do some during the year.

I want to get away from 308 as my primary. 6.5 Creedmoor looks best to me. I can buy factory ammo and decent brass to reload.

I want ant to be able to swap barrels at home and have prefit barrels available.

Budget up to $2500 but maybe not all at once. I have about $1500thai I can spend right now.

Option
a. upgrade Rem 5R

criterion prefit from Mcree $450
aics 210 round mags x2. $130
gunsmith work. $300 Not needed but I would like to square up receiver face and Lapp lugs
stock/chassis upgrade $600. Keg X-ray or traditional M40 stock
stock pack/cheek pad. $ 40

total. ~ $1550

b. Ruger RPR

RIFLE $1200

upgrades are not urgent. Cutstomize and upgrade barrel when needed.

Mags are cheap

The he rifles that I have handled seen a little rough. How do they break in and do they smooth out over time.

C. Tikka T3x 6.5 Creedmoor

rifle. $1150. My local guy says he can get one in blued for $999???
mags x2. $ 250.
Chassis. $600. Optional but the Tikka stock seems hokey to me.

Blued or stainless??
20" can be had now, 24" could be later Spring to late summer

D. Sako
on the EE foer sale in 6.5creed (if it hasn't sold yet?)
Bipod and scope mount included

rifle $3000

Great deal but I don't have $3k.

My 5R could probably sell for $700. I have some cash and can squeeze a bit more if needed.

I appreciare your help.

Thoughts????

Accurate Ordnance has some smokin' deals on some complete and barreled actions in 6.5 creedmoor in the for sale section. Complete builds with a 3/8"moa guarantee for $2,750!

Best Regards,

Todd

I am always reminded of the unknown shooter that comes to a match with some .308 he got from GOD knows where..............and proceeds to kick ass and go home with all the trinkets off the prize table......the moral of the story is, get good with what you got.....when you wear out that .308......have a reason to be a gear queer and jock up to a bullet that satisfy a need.

upgrade your rifle.
no need to spend the extra cash on a pre-fit if you're taking it to a smith.
LRI will get you turned around quick fast and in a hurry if need be.
https://www.longriflesinc.com/produc...oating-service

barrel and install are extra, about 650 for both

If you like your current stock, and it sounds like you do, send it to CDI and have them inlet it for their bottom metal.
http://cdiprecisiongunworks.com/

Buy the PMag AICS compatible mags
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/23...-polymer-black

Upgrade your trigger if you haven't already

All done for less than 1200. B&C markets a tactical/competition stock with adjustable cheekpiece if you want to upgrade the stock. The Grayboe's are attractive options as well.

Last edited:
Why not have the best action money can buy which IMO is a ARC Mausingfield - $1600, it comes with the mount. Then install a prefit barrel yourself. Now find a used x-ray or element chassis. You'll need a trigger and can find one for another $100 in the classifieds. You can get a Bighorn for a little less and would be my 2cnd choice. Selling your 5R will help get you into something really nice.

Not to be disrespectful Bolt but I've seen more than one 308 shooter show up to our old long range match and not hit a steel and I don't think anyone has won it with a 308. Granted most steel was in the 500 to 900Y range with a few past that. Even the "very experienced" 308 shooters didn't do well. So it depends on the distances and how windy the location tends to be is what I'm getting at. That's where 6, 6.5 and 7mm comes in handy.

i already have aics compatible bottom metal, so the $37 mags look much better.

Thank you guys. I'll check the accurate ordinance and LRI.

We appreciate the endorsements from others and would be happy to help. The services I offer are unique in the sense that we can execute faster than most while still ensuring the predictable outcome everyone is after.

A tune up on the action isn't an absolute, but it is recommended. A premium barrel swap is your shortest path to better performance. If you are currently getting good results, don't "fix" it. Go enjoy the gun and once the stick is worn out, then come see someone like me.

There's nothing wrong with a tuned up M700. The millions in circulation speak for themselves.

C.

LRI

Keep what you got, get a chassis for it and a few magazines, down the line you true the action and fit another barrel to it, some 6,5 flavour or another aint bad.
And there is nothing wrong with the Remington 700, it has proven it self time and time again.

I am always reminded of the unknown shooter that comes to a match with some .308 he got from GOD knows where..............and proceeds to kick ass and go home with all the trinkets off the prize table......the moral of the story is, get good with what you got.....when you wear out that .308......have a reason to be a gear queer and jock up to a bullet that satisfy a need.

Shoot $500 worth of quality ammo thru your 308 getting good at wind calls then if you want swap the factory barrel for a Criterion RemAge in the caliber du jour and go from there. I have a Stevens 200 action that shoots .35 to 45" 5 round groups off of a bipod with a good barrel on it, I have never felt the need to have any work done to it other than cycling the bolt to smooth it up some. As Boltripper alluded to it is easy to get caught up in gearqueeritis when you may not need to. As LRI said two posts up "If you are currently getting good results, don't "fix" it."

Not to be disrespectful Bolt but I've seen more than one 308 shooter show up to our old long range match and not hit a steel and I don't think anyone has won it with a 308. Granted most steel was in the 500 to 900Y range with a few past that. Even the "very experienced" 308 shooters didn't do well. So it depends on the distances and how windy the location tends to be is what I'm getting at. That's where 6, 6.5 and 7mm comes in handy.

They have been doing a "bonus shoot" at the end of our match. $5 buy in for 5 shots, winner take all. Last shoot we had 15+ guys enter, target was a six inch steel chicken at 1000 yards. Winner hit it 3/5 with a 308, in high winds. Lot's of guys with 6.5cr, 260, 300wm etc... 308 can get it done in the right hands.

In my opinion....i would just stick with what youve got.

You have a .5 moa rifle, i really wouldnt go about dicking around with it.

If i were building a new rifle, then yeah, ide probably go with 6.5.........but if you have a good shooting 308, theres no need to change.

Despite what you hear on the firums......6.5 is only SLIGHTLY better ballistically compaired to 308......to the point that if you miss a shot with .308, youre gonna miss your shot with 6.5

[No message]

Attachments

• photo57946.jpg
    photo57946.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 19
  • photo57947.jpg
    photo57947.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 13
  • photo57948.jpg
    photo57948.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 16
Savage 10 BA Long Range Hunter 6.5 Creedmore.

I handload, and would order mine chambered in .260 Remington.

But really, I would buy a Savage 11 VT .308, rebarrel it with L-W 28" drop-in chambered in .260, and add the Choate Savage Tactical stock (for 4.4" center feed), and could add an aftermarket Karsten's cheekpiece. Less money and precisely the right rifle with a good barrel.

I already have the rifle, a barrel, bipod, and stock, and other bits are on the wish list. With this stock and my optics, the cheekpiece is not needed.

Greg

Last edited: