• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

new rifle for son

Wysongdog

Private
Minuteman
Oct 26, 2012
I'm looking to purchase a new .22 for my son. He has one other 22's but I'm looking to purchase him one that he will be able to keep and be super proud of his entire life. I bought his sister a custom 10-22 that shoots the lights out. I have volquartson in a .17hmr that is a tack driver. He is going to do shooting sports this year for 4-h. What would you guys recommend?
thanks Bryan

Re: new rifle for son

Are you looking for semi or bolt?

If semi the 10/22 is hard to argue with since there is a host of aftermarket parts available.

If bolt, I have a CZ 452 that I love and plan to keep forever...its one of the few things I have that's not for sale.

Wysongdog, You really haven't given enough information. Have you asked your son what he wants? Anything CZ or above in quality should be good. I was raised so anything bought by my partents is a keepsake as they didn't have much, so everything represented a sacrifce by them and to be treasured.

He said he didn't really care. I'm tore between a good semi auto or like you suggested cz or kimber bolt. I don't know how serious he is going to get into the target shooting for 4-h yet.

I have just given a sons a CZ and a rem 541 for chrismas. Bolt actions are bullet proof (my IMOP). Get extra mags.& spare parts,(springs,firing pins,ect.)Most of all, give with love. Merry Christmas!

I'd suggest talking with the 4-h folks and see what shooting programs they offer, and what will be needed / allowed for the potential shooting matches that will be of interest to him.

If I may, how available are the .17 ammo in your area? Most stores around here still carry several different kinds of 22lr. People are talking like the ammo river may dry up. I don't know. But 22lr may be more available than .17

Just something else to think about.
Good luck.