• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New rifle.. Ideas? Savage 10FCP McMillan?

Slowstang

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2009
Sacramento, CA
My father is looking to get into long range shooting as I am beginning to start as well. We both hope to attend some tactical matches that are close to us.

He is looking for a new rifle. So far his/our favorite rifle candidate is the Savage 10FCP McMillan.

I was just hoping to get your input if you all agree if this is a good beginners rifle. We like that its stock will not need replacing as well as the trigger is pretty nice straight from the factory.

So whats your opinions?

Re: New rifle.. Ideas? Savage 10FCP McMillan?

Fantastic rifle for the cost! I seriously doubt that you will find a better out of the box shooter. Easily upgraded by the owner (barrel swaps are a breeze with minimal tools). Some will say go for the Remington 5R, but the McMillan stock seals the deal for me on this one. Either are good choices, but the Savage is just a bargain for what you get. Welcome to the Brotherhood of the Barrel Nut!

Ya, my dad wasn't too interested into it until he went with me to shoot my Remington SPS-Tactical and he all the sudden got really interested and has been asking me questions ever since. Now he wants to get a rifle and I am excited that he is so interested. The trigger on this rifle felt great and also the stock is a huge plus factor. Does anyone know if there is a DBM or larger capacity magazines available for this rifle? I think it comes with a 4 round detachable box magazine.

Here is the cheap way to do it.
http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/
Then just go to the mags/ramps section.

CDI is the right way to do it IMO. But the SSS will make it very usable at very little cost.

And you can't go wrong with a Super Sniper scope if you're also looking into optics.

Good luck,
Merritt
SGT USMC vet.

Thanks for the heads up. Those mags seem to be a good deal. If you check out the optics section he pretty much wants to spend $1000 on a scope.

Save the money on the scope and get reloading components. The Super sniper HD if you want to go high end is more capable than you, or I am. And custom loads is the only way to make your rifle shoot to it's full potential.

Good luck,
Merritt

Okay. Thanks for the advice. We will definitely be ordering reloading equipment in the near future. I was thinking that we could start with a case of Black Hills Ammo to use the brass to reload as its a little better than the federal so I hear. Is that worth it or should I go down another road to acquire brass?

The black hills is good stuff. Its nice to start out with factory ammo so that your not second guessing your reloads.

I second black hills and the Savage 10FCP. I went with the 10FCP HS Precision cause of the aluminum bedding block and it was a tad cheaper. its a good shooter, and im sure that the one you get will be too. if i had to do it again though i might just get the cheapo plastic 10FP and put a nicer stock that is adjustable for both length of pull and cheek height. after shooting different rifles for extended periods of time while prone i value good ergonomics. just my two cents.

i just replied to your scope thread too, its cool that you and your dad are getting into this together, good times!

-Wrighty

if not black hills, there were a few case lots of fgmm in the for sale area for decent prices.

So today my father and I went to the local gun range and gun store.. He went ahead and purchased the Savage 10FCP McMillan. It looked very nice, the stock felt amazing especially compared to the hogue on my sps tac and the trigger felt nice and crisp. So now the 10 waiting period begins and he still needs to decide/pick out a scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slowandsteady</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> So now the 10 waiting period begins.
</div></div>

And that is why I love Texas!
grin.gif

I had the 10FCP in the Accustock (great hunting stock but not a tac stock) and it liked the Win 168gr silvertips the best of everything I tried including 168gr FGMM.

Dont even get me started on that...

That's why I'm not going to even build a .223/5.56 until I'm L.E. Hopefully that'll be soon... We will see.

I have a savage 10fp le2a and LOVE it. It had a non-foldable choat stock, not sure they still produce that stock though.

Nice, glad to hear it. I am sure my dad will be really happy with it. His only other rifle has been a Browning A-bolt so this should be quite a bit more accurate.

I was looking at the 10FCP McMillan and the 10FCP HS Precision. Both are great rifles but I went with the HS Precision model. It has aluminum bedding blocks already in place, the McMillan doesn't I don't think. That and it was a couple hundred bucks cheaper, but I am very pleased with the stock. The HS stock feels really good around the grip area, nice and full which is what I like in a tactical rifle.

I took it out last week and got some MOA groups easily with Federal Gold Match ammo. The range I went to was uncomfortable, they don't allow prone shooting and their benches are horrible. So I'm pretty confident with a more solid shooting position, I can get some sub-MOA groups out of it, even with factory ammo.

By the way, ammotogo sells the Federal Gold Match ammo for about $25 a box. It's probably the best factory ammo you can get, IMO. I need to order up a .308 die set and start working up a load...

I use 150 or 168 grain sierra tip bullets that are loaded by georgia arms (www.georgia-arms.com). it's match grade ammo and consistant load for only like 80 cents a bullet. I get sub-moa with it in my savage 10fp le2. They come to alot of gun show, and you can order it online. It's great ammo for less than the remington and federal match loads.

I love my savage rifles. The 10 FCP is a great rifle to start out with. All the savage 308s I have owned shot 1/2 moa or better with quality reloads.

Just picked up the Savage model 10FLCP .308 today, lucked up on finding it.
$700 out the door.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BKScripto</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
By the way, ammotogo sells the Federal Gold Match ammo for about $25 a box. It's probably the best factory ammo you can get, IMO. I need to order up a .308 die set and start working up a load... </div></div>

Wow. Thanks, I'll look into ordering some. That is the best prices I have seen lately for FGMM. I have also heard of the Civilian Marksmanship Program having some very low prices of FGMM when they have it as well.

My dad will be having it glass bedded once he picks up the rifle. There is a guy who does it locally for a good price and fast turn around time so we will take it to him.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: peterf225</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I love my savage rifles. The 10 FCP is a great rifle to start out with. All the savage 308s I have owned shot 1/2 moa or better with quality reloads. </div></div>

I would be thrilled to get 1/2 moa groups with reloads. How far out did those reloads stay under moa? We will be shooting up to 1000 yards so is it typical to stay moa with a factory rifle to 1000 yards?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GotaCohiba</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Just picked up the Savage model 10FLCP .308 today, lucked up on finding it.
$700 out the door.
</div></div>

That's a killer price.. My dad spent a little bit more for his rifle.

If you are going to go savage 10 308, look hard at the bat or bas guns. You can find them in the 1400 range on gunbroker, the trigger on them is phenominal. A LOT better than the accutrigger is on my model 12. Their is a gun store off 80 in Vacaville (cant remember the name) but it had one of those in there, I got to playing with it and it was nice. Comes with a dbm, a rail, fully adjustable stock. I damn near bought one off gb but ended up going with a 5R instead. Good luck.

Sounds interesting. My father already has purchased his 10FCP McMillan but' thanks on the advice. 8 days left on the waiting period.

Ubet, do you shoot around the Sacramento area much?

I'm guessing you're still thinking about a rifle for yourself.

I'd suggest the 10FCP (I know this gun pretty well) chambered in .223 and BH remanufactured .223 75gr MHP ammo. They work well together, and the BH Reman 75's are going to have a good reach at a reasonable cost. Hornady makes a similar load, works just as good.

You can also handload to the same performance with 26.5gr (C*) of Ramshot Big Game, and the Hornady 75gr HPBT Match (Moly). Works real well up close with 52grSMK and 27.5gr W748. Others use 26.0gr of BLC-2 and the 52SMK.

The .223 will give you a lower impact/cost alternative, for serious use when the distances aren't quite out there at the Big K. It'll make the distance, but the .308 will do it better with 175's, etc.

Greg

Thanks Greg I appreciate the suggestion. I have already purchased a rifle, a SPS-Tactical in .308. My goal is to shoot at the local tactical competitions in which they shoot to 1k regularly. They however do have a steel match once every two months which would be perfect for using a .223.