• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Rifle Ideas

Pusher591

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jun 18, 2009
    Gaston County
    Some of you know from other post I'm wanting a bolt gun in 18.5-20". Once I sale some stuff I'm placing the order to GA so give me some ideas such as caliber, stocks, color combos,optics combos for that particular barrel lenght gun. Going to put about $3500 in the gun. I'm not a reloader, so keep it to wear I can still obtain factory match ammo. Have fun. By all means share photos. I won't be building any replicas of any guns posted but would love to get some ideas.

Re: New Rifle Ideas

308 for sure given the info you posted.
    A3-5 stock
    Rem 700
    20" Barrel
    Badger M5 Mag system

What's your budget on glass?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">308 for sure given the info you posted.
    A3-5 stock
    Rem 700
    20" Barrel
    Badger M5 Mag system

What's your budget on glass?</div></div>

Not even thinking about the Glass yet, just want the rifle in hand/ordered first. I was thinking of going with the Templer action but is it worth it or you think those guys work over a 700 real well. I have heard Moon is awesome. Thats going to be my set up pretty much just thinking about color combos too. I like Flech,Gap, and OD camo stuff. Thinking maybe an A1-3 OD green stock with tan barrel and parts. OR same stock but Tan and black barrel.

You can build a nice handy tack driver depending on who does the gunsmithing without having to break the bank. For your first time out, I'd recommend a Remington 700 .308 as you can always modify & upgrade it later if needed. For an all-around dual-purpose rifle I'd suggest:

McMillan A1-3 stock (bedded w/ pillars)
    Rem 700 in .308 (good used action)
    20" Schneider Polygon P5 (Rem Var or SR-60 contour)
    Badger M5 (if you like mag systems)
    D.D.Ross bottom metal (if you don't)
    Badger scope base & rings

This should make for a tough and reliable combination that you can use for hunting as well as a tactical rifle. Like this but with a 20" barrel...

P2290015.JPG

Very nice rifle. Someting like that but probably a #7 GAP Bartlein or Mike Rock is what I will go with. My use will be all tactical/paper punching. It's definitely going to have a Surefire muzzle brake. Love the look and they work really well at taming recoil.