• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes new rifle...new scope

eastridge1213

Private
Minuteman
Jul 15, 2011
hello all, first post..hope i get it right.

recently started getting into precision/target shooting and needing some advice. I have a basic savage .243 synthetic w/accu-trigger that im trading for a rem 700 sps tactical or sps aac-sd(still deciding). I had put a barska swat 6-24x44 swat scope before reading too much on them(had all the feature,should have found this place earlier haha). for a deer coyote gun its not too bad of a scope but want something that will be precise when adjusting for drop/wind.

on a very tight budget, so im goin as far as selling this scope to afford something decent. i want something cheaper but quaility(i know, oxymoron right)while i save up for a vortex viper pst which will be my replacement when funds allow. what are my options? what could this scope realistically resale for lightly used? thought bout the bushnell elite tactical 10x40

goin to use for little hunting(occasionally deer)but mostly sport/target shooting any where from 100-600yds. mostly between 300-500 but dont want to limit myself too much here.
sorry for extra long post, jus needing alot of help haha

Re: new rifle...new scope

The Bushnell 10x tactical is a fine scope, however, if it is going to be a multi-purpose rifle, I would opt for the Weaver grand slam tactical 3-10x when on sale at midway (299 bones).

If you are okay with a mil/moa scope, the Mueller Tac-2 scope is hard to beat. The glass is exceptional (for the price), tracking is spot on and the warranty is hard to beat which you most likely won't need it with this scope as it is a robust, high quality Japanese made scope. It also boasts 95 MOA adjustment, almost unheard of in a 1" tube.

Out of curiousity, why would you sell/trade the savage?
It is a very good rifle in an excellent caliber, though a bit of a barrel burner. Load that thing with a decent charge of H4350 and 100 grain gamekings and shoot way out there.

thanks for the reply

im coming to learn that the hunting profile barrel heats up too fast to shoot requiring wait time, plus the rem 700 is supported very well, and there is alot of info on the 308 for reloading/shooting.

reason i was thinking the bushnell 3200 10x tactical is they have them on sale for 129 with rings at swfa. didnt know if that was out dated/less featured version of their elite tactical line. but if i can sell this scope on ebay or something i might break even.

so is the bushnell 3200 tactical 10x gonna be a good option? is there a difference between the 3200 tact 10x and the elite tact 10x? and this rifle will be setup 95% for target shooting and 5% hunting so not really a dual purpose. and the hunting we do require minimal walking.

Why not get a new HV barrel and BC stock and keep the savage. The barrel wrench is cheap and you can change it to a 260, 308, 243 or even a 22/250. I built 2 hv barrel savages, but I also own remingtons.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eastridge1213</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so is the bushnell 3200 tactical 10x gonna be a good option? is there a difference between the 3200 tact 10x and the elite tact 10x? and this rifle will be setup 95% for target shooting and 5% hunting so not really a dual purpose. and the hunting we do require minimal walking. </div></div>

The 3200 10X is a good scope, they have changed the nomenclature of their scope lines and did away with 3200, 4200 and 6500. The scopes remain, the name has changed.

The problem with a fixed 10x in a hunting situation is you never know where the game will step out. I have had a deer walk right under my stand, I had been using the scope to scan the far side of the area that I was hunting and had my scope on 12X. I was not able to take the shot, as i brought the rifle to bear, the deer was only a few yards away. Had I been on 3x, the shot would have been easy. As it was, all I saw were giant tree limbs (actually small twigs).

By all means, if that is the scope you want, get it. They are probably the best bang for the buck that you will find anywhere. You'll be saving about 100 bucks and i am certain you will be pleased.

ok, i ran across a vortex crossfire 4-12x40 AO with resettable turrents under caps, it ran like 149+ tax. would this optic be better suited? does it track well(accurate)? glass difference between the bushnell? reason im asking is i paid a low price on the barska and got junk really, i dont want to make the same mistake buying something else low cost. trying to get something decent for the money. any info on the vortex crossfire 4-12x40 AO?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eastridge1213</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so is the bushnell 3200 tactical 10x gonna be a good option? is there a difference between the 3200 tact 10x and the elite tact 10x? and this rifle will be setup 95% for target shooting and 5% hunting so not really a dual purpose. and the hunting we do require minimal walking. </div></div>

The 3200 10X is a good scope, they have changed the nomenclature of their scope lines and did away with 3200, 4200 and 6500. The scopes remain, the name has changed.

The problem with a fixed 10x in a hunting situation is you never know where the game will step out. I have had a deer walk right under my stand,
<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">I had been using the scope to scan the far side of the area that I was hunting and had my scope on 12X. I was not able to take the shot, as i brought the rifle to bear, the deer was only a few yards away. Had I been on 3x, the shot would have been easy. As it was, all I saw were giant tree limbs (actually small twigs).</span></span></span>By all means, if that is the scope you want, get it. They are probably the best bang for the buck that you will find anywhere. You'll be saving about 100 bucks and i am certain you will be pleased. </div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold"> </span> That's why they make something called a binocular. It's unsafe to use your rifle as a spotter anyway.

It was perfectly safe.
And yes, hind sight being 20/20, IF I had a pair of binos, I could have used them.

Then I would have been swithing back and forth between binos and a rifle while perched in a tree stand.

That is not the point, the point of the story is, i SHOULD have had it on 3x anyway and the wider field of view would have made for an easy shot.

You only get one field of view with a fixed power scope.

had another thought, found the trade in program that swfa offers, do u think i can get close to even with the bushnell being on sale for 129?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eastridge1213</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thanks for the reply

im coming to learn that the hunting profile barrel heats up too fast to shoot requiring wait time, plus the rem 700 is supported very well, and there is alot of info on the 308 for reloading/shooting.

reason i was thinking the bushnell 3200 10x tactical is they have them on sale for 129 with rings at swfa. didnt know if that was out dated/less featured version of their elite tactical line. but if i can sell this scope on ebay or something i might break even. </div></div>You'd be way better off to keep the Savage. If you really want another barrel, you'd be better off to go ahead and rebarrel it. It's a much better gun than the Remington will ever be.

As for the scope, I think the Bushnell Elite 3200 10x is a decent choice to use until you can upgrade as long as you are fine with a fixed power. I had one and it tracked well, had decent glass, and was a decent scope. I just grew tired of the fix power so upgraded. I've also used some of the Elite 3200 non tactical models, and while they had good glass, I had problems with the tracking on them. That's a pretty good price too on that scope.

is that one not the tactical model, i was under the impression it was with the turrent on it?

as far as rebarreling it, there is no gunsmith for quite a ways around here and im not sure if im confident enought to do something like that, plus id need a new stock for it also.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eastridge1213</div><div class="ubbcode-body">is that one not the tactical model, i was under the impression it was with the turrent on it? </div></div>

scratch that, i re-read your post, sorry

[/quote]You'd be way better off to keep the Savage. If you really want another barrel, you'd be better off to go ahead and rebarrel it. It's a much better gun than the Remington will ever be.[/quote]

Blasphemy!

My advice, keep the rifle and get a better scope. Remington 700s are popular, but Savages can be just as accurate.

Savages are different. They aren't dependant upon the shoulder for headspacing. You get the headspace gauges, screw the barrel in the correct amount and then lock a jam nut against the receiver. (Then double check your headspace.) It's real simple and you can change back and forth as much as you want.