• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New rifle. No ammo. 6.5 Creedmoor

jeffersonv

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 20, 2008
SoCal
I was one of those guys that couldn't decide between the .260 and 6.5 Creedmoor.
I didn't think I could go wrong with either and just chose the Creedmoor when I dropped off my parts a R&D to have my rifle built.

Now that I have my rifle there is no ammo to be had. What's up with that?? I wish I had known.

What's next, higher ammo prices?

Anyone know an ETA?

Thanks.

Re: New rifle. No ammo. 6.5 Creedmoor

I have 3 boxes of 120 gr and 1 box of 140 grain i will sell for 100.00 + shipping if you want them PM me

Thanks Thunderbolt.

I'm looking for 140's.

I'm mostly wondering what's up with the situation.

Cool just thought I would help.

I think the Creedmoor has really taken off and caught hornaday with their pants down.

It seems now is a good time to take up reloading if you already havent. If you got a custom stick, might as well taylor the ammo. Not that the factory Honady is bad or anything. But after a while the reloading gear will pay for itself.

I don't have a problem with reloading except for the price of the Hornady brass.
I still need to get some dies but don't want to by the brass.
Even when I do reload I will likely be mimicking the factory loads for consistency.

Anyone else?

And thanks again Thunderbolt. I appreciate your offer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffersonv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't have a problem with reloading except for the price of the Hornady brass.
Even when I do reload I will likely be mimicking the factory loads for consistency.

Anyone else?

</div></div>
consistency?
As long as weight your powder, trim your brass, seat your bullets to the same length, etc... you will see consistency, if reloading was a hit or miss thing why would anyone do it, people reload for accuracy and performance, and because its fun, no one would reload if they could not get consistent performance.

Ya Savage 110, I meant consistency between reloads and the factory ammo so I wouldn't be changing my dope.
I doubt I could stoke this cartridge up to make a big enough difference to worry about it without being hard on the brass, etc.

How much do I want? A never ending supply. Price wars would be nice! With all the talk of Hornady doing this cartridge right I really didn't expect this.

Anyways, I guess no one's heard of more ammo on the way?

6.5 Creedmoor brass is not available at this time even from Hornady.
I too wanted a 260 but DMPS has is not selling them at this time. A 6.5 CM showed up at store and I came real close to buying it till I found out there is not brass. I did not know ammo was hard to find for it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffersonv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't have a problem with reloading except for the price of the Hornady brass.

Anyone else?

</div></div>

Load your own anyways, the factory load was accurate, but way slow for me.

I have a couple good loads worked up for my CM, let me know if you want the load data.

Thunderbolt catching Hornady with it's "pants down" doesn't seem real hard to do. I can't recall another company with so many "good" ideas that they can't supply. The case prep center the creedmoor ammo and brass. 6.5 Grendal Ammo and brass. The list goes on. don't get me wrong I love their stuff, if i can get it. For the money their neck dies are a steal even if you add the micrometer seater but half the time you can't find them either. Great ideas maybe thats why they are so hard to find.

I was in the same boat as JRose and we both ended up with similar loads, pushing the 139 Scenar to 2850+ with no pressure. I'm on my 4th loading with the same set of brass and I'll easily get 1-3 more out of this batch of brass. Let me know if you want my load data...

OK.

It looks like Cabelas has some brass unless their web site is out of date. It just happens to be the most expensive out there too. Go figure.

So, it looks like I'll be getting some dies more sooner than later, and some brass. I have some 4350. Is that what you guys are using? Anyone try Reloader 17? Here I go starting down this road. I'm glad you guys are way ahead of me.

So yeah, JRose and Lizzardking, I'd be interested in what you guys have come up with. And you mention a neck sizer with a micrometer? Is that the way to go?

My barrel is only 24" but I don't have unrealistic expectations for this rifle.

Wow, I shoulda went with the .260.

Thanks guys!

go over to www.usrifleteams.com and check the forums there. I am sure you will get some brass with all of the NM shooters there. You will need to sign up i think. it's free though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffersonv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK.

It looks like Cabelas has some brass unless their web site is out of date. It just happens to be the most expensive out there too. Go figure.

So, it looks like I'll be getting some dies more sooner than later, and some brass. I have some 4350. Is that what you guys are using? Anyone try Reloader 17? Here I go starting down this road. I'm glad you guys are way ahead of me.

So yeah, JRose and Lizzardking, I'd be interested in what you guys have come up with. And you mention a neck sizer with a micrometer? Is that the way to go?

My barrel is only 24" but I don't have unrealistic expectations for this rifle.

Thanks guys! </div></div>

I'm kinda in transition as I've switched from a hBN coated bullet to non, but 46.5gr of 4831sc is giving me right at 2800fps with a 139 Scenar about .015" off lands, using a .287" bushing in my sizing die. ES/SD were crazy low, and groups were super tight.

I got faster speed with RL-17, but at the expense of brass, plus I never could real in the good numbers on it like the 4831...

I have a 4350 load too, but will have to find it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffersonv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK.

Thanks guys! </div></div>

Good luck finding a DPMS 260. You can't even order them as they are having some sort of pressure problem. Armalite is working on a 260 Rem AR10.

Thanks JRose.
Do you think your 4350 load is worth looking up? It might save me some $$ on powder.

I had heard RL17 was easy on brass (?). That 4831 load sounds good. Time to start getting rigged up.

Landtoy, living in Cal. kinda kills my interest in a gas gun. I just don't like the restrictions on them here. If I were to move that would probably change pretty quick.

Anyone tried the 140 berger?

I'll find it for you, I want to say it was 42.8 or 43gr, but let me check first!

We just moved so it might take some time to find my books...

RL-17 might be, but I had it juiced to where it was sending the 139's over 2900fps, while it doesn't show typical signs of over pressure, it was shucking a few primers. Not many, maybe 10 out of 200, but I'm not interested in a load that pops primers. Not to mention it seemed to fluctuate velocity bad, don't know if it was due to temp or what, but not real desirable.

I was having a neck tension issue at the time, so I'm not going to condemn it just yet, I'll mess around with it some more this summer.

Cool,
Keep me in mind if you can.
Maybe after a while I can come with something worth sharing.

Thanks.

Midway has some Hornady ammo listed, dont know if they are backordered though...

Hornady is well aware. I have gotten ahold of our contact there. Creedmoor will be coming. Waiting for some myself. It's worth the wait.

Just to get it out there, I resized LC 308 brass to 6.5 CM with great success, only downside was I had loose primer pockets after only 3 reloads. These are light loads not pounders so I dunno what the reason is. I've reloaded Hornady brass 9x and still dont have loose pockets with exactly the same load.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mprtech</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just to get it out there, I resized LC 308 brass to 6.5 CM with great success, only downside was I had loose primer pockets after only 3 reloads. These are light loads not pounders so I dunno what the reason is. I've reloaded Hornady brass 9x and still dont have loose pockets with exactly the same load. </div></div>

That resized LC brass is probably thicker than the factory 6.5CM brass and as a result there are higher pressures. Also, did you neck turn that resized brass?

gugubica,

What do you have?

How many times fired?

Thanks,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buffybuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mprtech</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just to get it out there, I resized LC 308 brass to 6.5 CM with great success, only downside was I had loose primer pockets after only 3 reloads. These are light loads not pounders so I dunno what the reason is. I've reloaded Hornady brass 9x and still dont have loose pockets with exactly the same load. </div></div>

That resized LC brass is probably thicker than the factory 6.5CM brass and as a result there are higher pressures. Also, did you neck turn that resized brass?</div></div>

No I didn't see any need to but that may be my mistake.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mprtech</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buffybuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mprtech</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just to get it out there, I resized LC 308 brass to 6.5 CM with great success, only downside was I had loose primer pockets after only 3 reloads. These are light loads not pounders so I dunno what the reason is. I've reloaded Hornady brass 9x and still dont have loose pockets with exactly the same load. </div></div>

That resized LC brass is probably thicker than the factory 6.5CM brass and as a result there are higher pressures. Also, did you neck turn that resized brass?</div></div>

No I didn't see any need to but that may be my mistake. </div></div>

The pressure issues might from a couple of sources.

1. LC brass generally has thicker walls than commercial brass which means less total case capacity.
2. Almost all 6.5CM chambers are cut to match (minimum) specification. If you have thick necks, they may not be able to release the bullet easily.

My load is 43.0 gr of RL17 and I'm pushing the 139 Scenar's at around 2850 and no pressure. My velocities are consistent and I'm on my 4th loading so far with my original set of 50. No popped primers, had to trim 10-12 thou off them after 3 loadings and I fully expect to get 5-7 loadings out of this set of brass. No complaints here!

There it is. I was waiting for that one.
Thanks Lizzardking.

I'm in the same boat. I have a custom gun in 6.5 Creed and I love the rifle and cartridge preformance. I'm on my 5th reloading of the 100 pieces of match ammo I bought and kept the brass to reload.

I've been checking around almost every other day! I keep hearing it will be soon but that was like 4 months ago!

Your best bet is stock up on brass when it's in stock. I have 400-600 pieces of brass and another 500+ rounds of factory 140 A-Max bullets, so I'm set on brass for a while. That being said, I still have some on back order from Midway. Can't have too much.

Also, I look at it from a different view, if it were too available that could mean that it wasn't popular, and unpopular fad's don't last long nor receive much support from a factory. I'm sure this means the cartridge took off and that should mean a lot of options when they catch up.

Like mprtech I have made CM brass from Rem 308 brass. Winchester 7-08 and 243 brass would not work at all for me.

It really is very easy but it does take some time, I neck turn because it's a lot thicker than it should to be, if i remember right i take off around .010-.015. Also, if I shoot the same load through them they run about 40-50 fps faster.

PM me if your interested in the process etc...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I'm kinda in transition as I've switched from a hBN coated bullet to non, </div></div>

Why are you switching away from hBN?

Find a distributor that has it in stock. I just got some in from one...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OutRider</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...this is just the sort of thing I was worried aboot... </div></div>
Just to be clear.
I'm not ragging on Hornady.
I think the 17 hmr is the $#!+.
I like the .204 too for squirrels etc.
I have no doubt they have other products that would become my favorites with some use.
I like innovative companies.

It is not my style to go to this forum first if I have a problem with a company or whatever. This is the last place to go for that kind of stuff IMO.

That is not why I came here with my 'problem'. I was hoping someone would be able to point me to some ammo or fill me in when some would be available.

I know I sounded negative at times but I was disappointed and did not expect this situation.

I appreciate everyone's input here. Thanks to all and a special thanks to gugubica for helping me get rigged up.

Jeff

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Red_SC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I'm kinda in transition as I've switched from a hBN coated bullet to non, </div></div>

Why are you switching away from hBN? </div></div>

Tired of coating bullets... I hate reloading, and that's just one more pain in the ass step I don't want to do. I'll still run it on my DTACs b/c I can buy them already coated.

I live 70 miles from Hornady's manufacturing plant and I can't find a distributor with anything related to 6.5 CM. In a week to ten days I will have rifle built and not one piece of brass. Got my order in at several distributors in February and early March still nothing. Gun show in Kearney, NE this weekend. IF there is anything there I am taking out a second mortgage on my house and buying it.

LINK

Some have PM'd me about making it from 308 brass. Above is the link to my write up.

Hey Jeff,

Couple of thoughts:

1. You picked a brand new cartridge only available from one company. You married Hornady and now must be patient with your new spouse.
smile.gif

2. The 6.5 Creedmoore has been extremely popular. I think this is because most of the 260REM brass is crap and Hornady makes good stuff. So, maybe you made a great choice but there are some shortages due to its success.
3. YOu are complaining about brass cost but are will to pay $1.50 for a cartridge? That's just crazy. You will get maybe 20 or more reloads from the brass. so, the cost per shot is very good. Once you start reloading, your cost per shot is going to go from $1.50 per shot to more like $0.30 per shot. Suck it up and buy some brass man.
smile.gif

Regards,
Scooter

PS. I didn't want to deal with Wildcat issues and simply use 243WIN. No complaints here!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooter-PIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Jeff,
3. YOu are complaining about brass cost but are will to pay $1.50 for a cartridge? That's just crazy. You will get maybe 20 or more reloads from the brass. so, the cost per shot is very good. Once you start reloading, your cost per shot is going to go from $1.50 per shot to more like $0.30 per shot. Suck it up and buy some brass man.
smile.gif

</div></div>

20 or more reloads from the brass? Maybe if you barely push the rounds out the end of the barrel. From my experience with the 6.5 CM brass I'm guessing I'll get 6-8 loadings.

I got 4 so far with 43grns of H4350 and the 140s and the primer pockets are as tight as new. I would guess atleast 10-15 loads at standard velocities.

If you think the ammo is high I saw 220 rds. of once fired brass sell on GB for $325 + $12.50 s&h. That figures up to about $1.53 a round for brass that has been used once. The guy that won it really wanted it. I also have a 6.5 Creedmoor and have only 5 boxes of ammo but I won't pay that much for brass. I backordered some from Midway for $32.49 for 50 rds. of new brass. Here's the link if you want it.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productnumber=528000

Scooter,

Got some brass now thanks to gugubica.

I like what lizzardking has to say about demand possibly insuring a solid future for the 6.5 creedmoor.

I'm still going to stock up on factory ammo when I get a chance.
I can use the leftover brass to reload several times to cut into the original cost.

I still like the 6.5 Creedmoor. I just wasn't paying attention to the lack of supplies I guess and it really caught me off guard.

Dies are a challenge.

I just picked up the only ones I could find. A 2 die set from Redding. I have no idea if I will like them. I have other redding dies that I like. I'll have to see...
Ordered some reloder 17 and some scenars too.

Some RL17 and the 139 Scenar tips is a tough combo to beat. I extended my shooting range to 800 yards last weekend, and the first three shots at my steel plate hit home. First was on lower left corner, I adjusted my point of aim accordingly, and the last 2 were barely 2 inches apart dead nuts center. Wind was 12-15 MPH from 45 degrees and I barely held 1 mil off. Gotta love it!