• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Rifle - Optics Mounting Suggestions

JonDaddy82

Private
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2021
Nashville
Long time reader first time poster!

Backstory: My first “Precision” rifle is/was an FNAR with a 20” heavy fluted barrel, with a SFP Vortex Viper PST II MRAD 4-16x44 in Vortex/Seekins rings. I use a GG&G XDS-2 bipod. Rifle shoots great, a pinch over .5 MOA with 168 GMM.

I wanted to transition to a precision bolt gun, and have always had good luck with Ruger products. For what I wanted to do and what I wanted to spend the Ruger American Hunter .308 seemed to fit the bill. I know 6.5 is the new new, but I already have 3 other .308 platforms, so sharing ammo and staying out of boutique calibers is very important to me. I have also had great luck with Vortex products, and am thinking the 5-25x56 MRAD Strike Eagle would be a good fit for this rifle.

What I wanted to ask about is:

- what are your thoughts of my budget bolt setup?

- what are your thoughts on rings vs one piece mounts?

I have one piece mounts with LPVO’s on fighting rifles, but haven’t messed with them on a bolt gun.

Does the gun already have a rail? If it has a flat rail one piece mount can give you extra cant .

Do you care about weight? One piece mount is a bit heavier.

They come factory with a rail, yes. I’m not too bothered with weight as I don’t hunt, and if I did one day I’d be using my Ruger American Ranch in 7.62x39 with a 2-7 on it anyways.

They come factory with a rail, yes. I’m not too bothered with weight as I don’t hunt, and if I did one day I’d be using my Ruger American Ranch in 7.62x39 with a 2-7 on it anyways.
If it already has a factory rail and you want a canted base your options are limited. You can get a one piece canted mount, or the Burris XTR signature rings. If you don't shoot long range then it doesn't matter, rings are cheaper.

If it already has a factory rail and you want a canted base your options are limited. You can get a one piece canted mount, or the Burris XTR signature rings. If you don't shoot long range then it doesn't matter, rings are cheaper.
I've joined an outdoor range where I have access to 600 yards, and after I complete from long range rifle training (on the house) I can shoot out to 1,250. I'm more concered with honing my skills out to 600 of course for the immediate future.

I've joined an outdoor range where I have access to 600 yards, and after I complete from long range rifle training (on the house) I can shoot out to 1,250. I'm more concered with honing my skills out to 600 of course for the immediate future.
I think you will like to have a canted base if you want to shoot out to 1k eventually.