• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New rifle..... Pic heavy :D

elkkid3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 26, 2009
Tonto Basin, AZ
Got my new rifle on Sunday. Haven't had time to post anything on it, because all my free time goes into loading for it and shooting it. The rifle is a absolute tack driver. After re-zeroing I took it to 600 yards. The first shot was on a 17"x12" steel plate. Once I got my dope at that I took it to a 10"x7"(I think) plate. 3 out of 3 not a problem. Decided to drive it to 800 yards. Took me 2 shots to get the dope, after that 2 out of 2 shots on a 17"x12" plate. Only had 4 shots left. Dad shot at 800 yards and hit 3 out of 4.

Just got home from shooting it again. 5 out of 5 shots on a 6" tall 14" wide steel target at 600 yards. All rounds where within around 8" on the width spread.

Specs:

Rem 700 action.
26 1/2 inch Bartlein Barrel.
Badger M5 with 5 round mag.
Manner T4A.
Harris 6-9 swivel/notched legs, with Pod Claws, Skies, and Podlock.
Eagle scope and muzzle cover.
Badger 20MOA base with Badger rings.
J. Dewey cleaning rod.
TAB Sling.
Topped with a Nightforce 5.5-22x50 MOA with NP-R2 reticle.

The load is 43.5gr of RE-15 under a 175gr SMK.

This is the same load with 178gr AMAX. 5 shot group, Pulled the low one that is up and left (Makes the group 1/2 Min). Really pulled the top shot that is high and left (Makes the group 3/4).

IMG_1261.jpg

IMG_1267.jpg

IMG_1283.jpg

IMG_1274.jpg

IMG_1275.jpg

IMG_1279.jpg

IMG_1282.jpg

IMG_1284.jpg

IMG_1289.jpg

IMG_1292.jpg

Re: New rifle..... Pic heavy :D

congrats and very cool Rhett, soon as my rifle comes in we gotta get out and shoot! Did you put the bolt from your other remy on this one?
I though the one originally on this rifle was in desert tan (I may be wrong though).
Again Congrats on your new rifle, enjoy it!
-Felipe

Nope, thats the original bolt. It will be sent to Keith at AZ Precision for desert/coyote tan when I have the coin.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadeye</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
WTF is going on with camo everything including the scope and the bolt body looks like a neon sign?</div></div>

I have no idea. It doesn't look like a neon sign to me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: huntinaz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadeye</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
WTF is going on with camo everything including the scope and the bolt body looks like a neon sign?</div></div>

I have no idea. It doesn't look like a neon sign to me. </div></div>
Neither does it look like one to me, way to shit in this this thread.

yeah, that is a sweet rig, and you did awesome with the paint. great stuff, and well painted. Keith does good work, he fitted my bolt handle with a badger bolt knob and did a wonderful job, cerakoted the whole bolt handle and body assembly and it came out awesome.

Paulus

Nice rifle

Who built it?

Why don't you come shoot out local matches at phx rod and gun club. Next one is on the 22nd. That's this Saturday.

Maybe its just me or the camera angle but it looks like you may benefit from a crown job asap! That crown looks all beat to hell.

IMG_1279.jpg

I didn't paint the rifle. I bought the rifle used. It had 765 round down the tube (I shot 47 out of it so far). Everything came as a package.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: REM700MAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Who built it?

Why don't you come shoot out local matches at phx rod and gun club. Next one is on the 22nd. That's this Saturday. </div></div>

The gunsmith was Mark Pharr at Tumbleweeds Custom Rifles.

I am hoping to get down for a match soon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 on the crown looking beat up. </div></div>

I am wondering if the "beat up" look is just finish-deep.

E.g. No metal dings, just some wearing of the outer coating(s) that create the look of wear.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: huntinaz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What should I look for to tell if my crown is beat up?

Thanks,

Rhett. </div></div>

Run your fingernail over it. Is it catching on scratches and dings, or just riding over the texture of the paint that you used?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oddball-Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 on the crown looking beat up. </div></div>

I am wondering if the "beat up" look is just finish-deep.

E.g. No metal dings, just some wearing of the outer coating(s) that create the look of wear. </div></div>

Looks like it has chips on the edge, finish seems to be worne off. I would have it recrowned if it were mine. Cheap insurance.

I think it was the camera angle. I ran my finger nail over it and its smooth. Will post pics.

Thats why its tough to tell in the pics. By what Im seeing with your new pics, it looks as though the gunsmith just cut it flat or hardly even cut a crown which is not necessarily a problem. If it were me, I would take it to a reputable smith and have them re-crown just to ease my own worries. But... If its a shooter and groups good then the hell with it as long as youre happy.

Yeah, but a threaded cap isnt a substitute for a crown. The crown does more than just protect the end of the barrel.

Nice looking rifle, looks like it shoots well too.

Right. The cap protects the crown from damage. This barrel does have a flush crown which is fine if properly protected. It shoots good, so why spend more money if it won't make a difference.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: XLR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Right. The cap protects the crown from damage. This barrel does have a flush crown which is fine if properly protected. It shoots good, so why spend more money if it won't make a difference. </div></div>
+1

That is a nice looking rifle, just work on the consistantcy on these targets and youll do better.

You may want to get a new magazine too, the way it falls out of the rifle spilling cartridges everywhere
wink.gif

Nice Rifle!
laugh.gif

+1 on not messing with the crown, it looks fine. I've had a couple of rifles crowned like this and they shot lights out.

One of the best looking neon signs I have ever seen!
grin.gif

Sweet rig. I'm proud to have some of our kit on it.