• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

new rifle: Sako or Savage

BB KoncepZ

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2011
Alabama
After my 700 is done, i may look into a new rifle. Either a Savage 110BA or a Sako TRG...in a 338 LM. Whats some solid facts on a better all around gun?

The TRGs are great guns and undoubtedly built better than the Savage, but the accessories for them are ridiculously expensive.

Accessories are expensive for the TRGs "NEW", but you can still find very reasonable used or slightly used ones for much cheaper. Also, they're Expensive for a Very Good Reason. The Build and Quality for any TRG Factory Stuff is Top Notch. However it is going to be a expensive but rewarding investment. It all depends on how much you want to spend and shoot.

The 338LM is a Awesome LR Round but I hope you're reloading cause the prices of these ammos are crazy expensive to shoot.

Savagest makes great, accurate, and reasonably priced rifles, but I'd Vote for TRG Hands Down and Every Time.

Dont get me wrong but your sorta comparing boxed wine to top shelf wine. The sako is in a diffrent category I would go that route in a heartbeat. That being said my factory savage 10fp was easily a sub minute gun right from the factory with decent hand loads.

I agree with the above statements, but I have a hard time justifying the extra $1700 for a rifle that may or may not prove to be more accurate. The savages that I have owned may not have been the most polished or finely finished but have been very reliable and extremely accurate. My 12 FV 22-250 is a consistent 3/8 moa rifle with its favorite load and often closer to 1/4 MOA. If I had money to burn, splurge for the TRG, it is an impressive piece.

Mike

The Sako is one of the finest rifles I've ever shot. I like all my Savage's, however, they are not in the same league!

Imo, it depends on your goal.... Show off or shoot? Correct me if i'm wrong but the savage can do everything the sako can(except maybe a folding stock) but leaves you with extra money for some great glass to put on it....

I have never met a Savage rifle that is as accurate as my TRG, I have met few custom rifles more accurate then TRG. It has 6,000 rounds down the pipe and is still .5 MOA and it has been beaten to hell to boot. I have ZERO regrets about the cost of the TRG and will never get rid of it.

If you can afford the TRG definitely get it. If not, the savage will no doubt be a great gun for the value. Savage has the accuracy, it just wont have the fit and finish of a Sako

BB KoncepZ
My 2 cents, IMHO.
The Savage 110 BA is a good rifle for the price, with a couple of issues that can be dealt with. The main one is: for most 110 BA, do not use soft brass, it will get stuck; stick to Lapua brass to solve this issue. We talked about it in a lengthy manner in this forum but, as the format changed, I do not know if you can still have access to these posts. The Sako TRG 42 is in a different league, it is a very good rifle, used as an issued sniper rifle by several countries and also comes with a different price tag, so it is not fair to the Savage to compare these two rifles. As far as accessories for the Sako, they are now easily accessible, not like in the past and it is up to you to decide if you want to go with the Sako brand or something else. The bipod is expensive at $450 but it is a good one (I have one on my TRG 22), the feet are wide enough not to sink in sand, you will learn to appreciate this in a desert like landscape, or snow. The grips on the bipod feet will grab into almost anything and it makes it very easy to load. They are easily deployed and have a good range of motion. your most common other choices for bipods would be the Atlas and the Harris. The Harris is a good little bipod that is used by many, it is the most affordable, I think around $110, make sure you go with the leg notch sling swivel and get a pod lock with it. It is not as efficient, IMHO, than the Sako, or the Atlas but it works too and will get the job done (I have one on my PSS), too bad that Phoenix Tactical does not have these Pod Claws anymore, I would have like to try these on a Harris. The Atlas is a great bipod (around $300 or a bit more with accessories) and you will not be disappointed (it will go on my next rifle). It has a great range of motion, with multiple configurations and loads great. The Sako muzzle brake is at $150 and works very well; the spacer for LOP ($32) and cheek piece spacer ($75) are convenient and will make you feel at home when handling your rifle. I am not aware of any issues with current issued Sako; they had stock issues many years ago but it has been corrected. The barrel twist used to be 1-12 and is now at 1-10, better for big pills such as 300gr, the 1-12 was very efficient with the 250 gr. The 1-10 is marked on the barrel for the latest TRG 42's. The Savage has a 1-9 barrel twist and will shoot big pills with no problem; this rate of twist is also favorable to the VLD's for ELR shots.
As far as accuracy goes, the Savage is good, the Sako is a bit better; remember that in the hands of an average shooter, no miracle will happen, they will both shoot as good as the guy behind the rifle. The Accutrigger of the Savage is good, the TRG's trigger is great and one of the best out there but don't go below 2 lbs. Stock configuration and ergonomics, we are all built different and some may like the Savage better, but the Sako fits me better (6 feet, 200 lbs). Choice of brass; as I mentioned earlier, you may encounter issues with the Savage if you are using soft brass; to the best of my knowledge, the Sako will shoot anything. Recoil, both are fine, with a good muzzle brake. Actions, the Sako is smoother than the Savage.
I am not putting the 110 BA down, just talking about my personal experience with the two rifles. There are other rifles that will have an edge on the Sako but then again, the price tag changes and you will be looking at the top rifles made by the top builders.
The Savage cost less than the Sako, just like a Ford Mustang cost less than a Porsche and a Ferrari cost more than a Porsche. There are reasons why but you can have plenty of fun with a Mustang 110 BA and try your skills at 2000 yards.
There is about $1000 price difference between the 110 BA and the TRG 42, or a bit more depending on where you will purchase it; your main expense will be on ammo, so if you do not reload, look into it. Even if money is no issue, reloading can give you better accuracy and a better understanding of why such a bullet/brass/primer/powder combination works better in your rifle than factory ammo.
I hope this post will help you some, you will not be disappointed with either one.
Good shooting.
Ombre noire

Dont get me wrong but your sorta comparing boxed wine to top shelf wine. The sako is in a diffrent category I would go that route in a heartbeat. That being said my factory savage 10fp was easily a sub minute gun right from the factory with decent hand loads.

Agree 100%, and all i own are savages...

Something else though (while agreeing with the boxed wine vs. top shelf argument), how much do you expect to be shooting the .338 vs. the .308 you already have.

I would rather have a "top shelf" .308, and a more basic .338 than the other way around. Based on how much I would shoot it.

Of course, I don't have regular access to really long shooting ranges, so that is a factor.

I have never met a Savage rifle that is as accurate as my TRG, I have met few custom rifles more accurate then TRG. It has 6,000 rounds down the pipe and is still .5 MOA and it has been beaten to hell to boot. I have ZERO regrets about the cost of the TRG and will never get rid of it.

I believe that the saying; "Quality is remembered, long after the price is forgotten", applies here.

If money is not a factor (which if you are comparing these two vastly varied priced rifles, I would guess it's not)... I'd take the TRG every time and twice on Sundays.

Ugly chicks...

Or beautiful chicks...

Both have a box, but some utilize their box better than others. If both utilize the same... give me the beautiful chick.

YOU?

Ugly chicks...

Or beautiful chicks...

Both have a box, but some utilize their box better than others. If both utilize the same... give me the beautiful chick.

YOU?

Enough Said
10-4; that's way shorter than my answers... but much funnier; I'll go with what you say.
Good shooting.
Ombre noire

If you are not looking to upgrade rifle at all get the TRG. It is perfect out of the gait. However, if you are a big do-it-yourselver maybe consider the Savage. With some coin thrown at them they can be as accurate as any rifle and are probably the easiest factory rifle to work on. Also, what type of budget are you working with? Will a TRG significantly reduce what you have to spend on optics? Whatever you choose, don't end up with snow tires on your Dodge Viper.

Whoa... Sako vs. Savage Lambo vs. kia playboy playmate vs. a 90 year old woman 200 boone and crocket vs. a 2 inch spike.

On the other hand if you have the money to spend on the Sako, why not custom build one? Thats what I'm doing. It's dang near the same price for even better quality. IMO

Barrel - $400-500
Action - $1000-1300
Trigger - $200
Stock - $300-1000
Muzzle Brake - $150

All depends on what you get

Barrel - $400-500
Action - $1000-1300
Trigger - $200
Stock - $300-1000
Muzzle Brake - $150

Barrel - $400-500
Action - $1000-1300
Trigger - $200
Stock - $300-1000
Muzzle Brake - $150

So your range on a build is between $2050-$3150. Not too shabby. But if funding is no issue go with the Sako. I imagine the resale value will be much better if you ever need to part ways in the future.

If this is ALL the money you can spend, get the Savage and buy ammo/glass with the savings. The TRG is nicer, but it's not going to be enormously more accurate. If this is just a rifle budget and you have oodles of cash, get the Sako.

As others have already said, the TRG is in another class. I own both and there really is no comparison. My TRG outshines my Savage in every way. The TRG is much more expensive, but you will recoup most (if not all) the difference in retained resale value. If you can afford a TRG, you won't be dissappointed.

Apples to oranges. If you can swing the TRG, do it and don't look back. Savages are shooters but it's no contest.

I have the savage and for what its worth it does shoot maybe I got a good one. I can put 3 shot groups at 100yrd all touching any day of the week with hand loads but that being said it is a little rough around the edges and action is not very smooth. I am selling to a guy I work with so I can save up for either TRG or a Kirby Allen custom.