• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New rifle shipping by GAP?

scout1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 14, 2006
Apache County,Arizona
I've had my GAP build on order for only two weeks but I'm trying to get all of my ducks in a row for the day when the magic phone call comes. I do not wish to bother GAP with this or tie up their phone lines.

How does GAP ship their new builds out? Do you buy a hardcase from them? Do you send them a hardcase to be used for the purpose of shipping your rifle? Or what?

I'm just trying to take care of any loose ends ahead of time. If I need to buy my own hardcase from a third party thats fine, I just need to plan for it.

scout1

Re: New rifle shipping by GAP?

they shipped my rifle back in a cheaper black hard case

Yep, they wrap the rifle up in bubble wrap, and stick it in a cheap hard case. Something like a low end plano. Mine arrived fine but if I had it to do over again I'd have sent in a pelican case when I sent in the stock, other goodies to them.

There shipping methods are fine. Minimalistic but effective. Plus if you had any damage, which I doubt would happen, you would be made whole somehow. Just think of how much abuse someone gives their rifle throughout its lifetime. Shipping is the least of the rifles problems. From my experience, I would be worried more about UPS leaving the rifle box leaning against the garage door with no signature again.

Heh funny you should mention that my neighbor shoots long range HP competitions and has had a least 2 rifles left on his front steps by UPS in full view of the sidewalk/street. Not to mention we live 1/2 block from a high school with kids walking by every day. It's amazing one has not grown legs yet. Nothing like pulling in the driveway seeing a big cardboard box with a bright orange "firearm" sticker on it leaning up against his front steps.

I doubt they have much issue with shipping damage and as you said most rifles see much worse in actual use. The only thing I've always been nervous about is one getting just the right impact on the barrel/crown area. I've also seen UPS bend/damage steel parts much thicker than a #7 barrel in transit so they are capable of impressive damage
smile.gif
Overall though I think most guns can take a lot more abuse than we give them credit for.

It would probably be an annoyance for them but it would be nice to see an option for $$ on the build to ship back in a pelican case, or even a note on their page that if you want the build to ship back in a pelican style case to send one in with your parts.

why dont you just message George (the owner) on here and ask him? He will answer you in a day or two. His customer service is top notch!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bvt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There shipping methods are fine. Minimalistic but effective. Plus if you had any damage, which I doubt would happen, you would be made whole somehow. Just think of how much abuse someone gives their rifle throughout its lifetime. Shipping is the least of the rifles problems. From my experience, I would be worried more about UPS leaving the rifle box leaning against the garage door with no signature again. </div></div>

They should only be shipping to your house if you sent it out for repairs or you have your own FFL license. If you buying it, it has to go to an FFL. So know real worries there. With that said I got a AK coming back to me and I really hope they just don't leave it in front of the door.
My GAP came the same way as the others. Generic black case in bubble wrap. I wouldn't worry about the shipping methods.

If you want the safest route of travel for your firearms you are best served by USPS. The reason why is the method of travel they use. They are transported in wheeled containers loaded onto trucks. UPS, FedEx, and DHL (not that they're doing stuff anymore) all cram boxes into a truck with the highest density they can muster. Couple that with the only average height of the men loading the trucks there's a strong possibility your box is eventually going to become a "step" so they can get up high enough to put the small box in the small hole that's at the very top. You do not have to disclose to USPS that it's a firearm, and you can do a signature required for delivery. I just recently shipped a barreled action off through USPS, the insurance cost more than the shipping, but i'd rather pay $30+ for peace of mind, than lose $2K+ should the unthinkable happen.

Branden

My dealer came home one day and found a box leaning against his front door too... It wasn't a GAP but the box did contain a transferable M16.