• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New rifle, tight chamber

Jake the dog

Private
Minuteman
May 9, 2017
Savannah, GA
I have a new 6.5 CM that appears to have a very tight chamber. My reloaded Lapua is difficult to chamber, but will go with more effort than it should take. My FL sized brass (Redding dies) measures .003 over new Berger at the base. Will a RCBS small base die size the fired brass down enough to chamber? Never used a small base die for rifles, but I did have to get a Lee "U" die to reload 40 S&W.

You might have to. I know I bought some once fired Hornady brass for my tight chambered 300 win, and none of it would load. I had to order a smb die to size it for the first loading in my rifle. After that so far I have been able to just use my Redding neck sizer.

I would try the smb die. Like I said I had the same problem in my rifle with brass shot from another rifle. I personally wouldn’t buy a real pricey die. I went RCBS which includes a seater die. That seater I just use for loading hunting loads. It fixed my brass so I could use it. Before buying the sm I tried my Redding fl didn’t work. Since using the sm I have just been neck sizing.

Also that’s about what my brass was off no problems now.