• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Rifle

Smurph_

Private
Minuteman
Apr 30, 2021
Texas
I have finally upgraded a little from my R700 ADL synthetic. I ran across a very old R700 varmint synthetic with the HS Precision stock today at a local gun show. Based on my research, the rifle hasn’t been in production for many years. From what I can tell, the quality of the rifle appears to be miles above what I have been using. The crown of the barrel is slightly recessed, but it is much simpler than the target crowns found on modern guns. It appears to be exactly the same as the old R700pss in a slightly different stock. I have the gun dry fit with my optic from the other rifle and I have to take some time to set it up before it will be okay to shoot. Either way, I’m very pleased with it and I will post results soon.

My first real rifle was a Remington Model 700 VS although now the only thing that remains is the bolt and receiver pretty much. The primary difference between that VS barreled action and the one in the PSS was the finish if I remember correctly and then they were placed in different HS Precision stocks of course. Otherwise, at the time, they had the same triggers, barrel contours, twist rates (for caliber), and 11-degree target crown.

A few years ago I went full retard and passed on a old Model 700 PSS in .308 with a NF base, Bobro mount, and SWFA 3-15 for like $900 out the door. Good score, I'm sure it'll shoot well for you.

need pics to properly drool over a new gun completed or not the better looking the stock the more drool can be expected ..:unsure::whistle::giggle:

I dropped my Vortex PST Gen2 on it on a 20MOA mount. I have to have one of the receiver holes drilled because the mounting screws that were on it were rusted in place. Otherwise, the internals are brand new. I painted it and built up the cheek piece a little. Also put my bipod and sling on it. I’ll post pics as soon as it’s permanently put together. I plan on bedding the stock, but I don’t want to do any other mods to it.

I feel that this thread is useless without pics. So, heres my R700 in .308 Win. with an M24 barrel and McMillan stock. ;)
IMG_0196.JPG

Excuse the condition of my kitchen. It’s being remodeled at the moment. That’s about $10 worth of spray paint 😂

I feel that this thread is useless without pics. So, heres my R700 in .308 Win. with an M24 barrel and McMillan stock. ;)View attachment 7702845
I have an M24 profile barrel ordered for my other R700, but I won’t be able to rebuild it for a while because the lead time from Bartlien is about 9 months. This should serve me well until I get that one finished.

Reactions: ColinW
I have an M24 profile barrel ordered for my other R700, but I won’t be able to rebuild it for a while because the lead time from Bartlien is about 9 months. This should serve me well until I get that one finished.

Yeah, there’s a HUGE supply/demand right now. Particularly with Bartlien! Just an FYI....When I swapped out the stock barrel with Patriot Valley Arms in ‘19, they said there’s such a large tolerance variation between Remington actions that they needed the action to be sent in for a proper fit. I don’t know if that’s in regards to action thread count or what, just be advised, I was told a new barrel MAY or MAY NOT be a drop in fit for a Remington 700 with proper headspace. Never hurts to trust, but verify first. 🙂👍🏻

I have a smith that’s going to blueprint the action and chamber/fit the barrel for me when it gets here for that reason.

Also, will the badger bottom metal drop in on a BDL stock? Or does it need extra fitting?

The Badger bottom metal will need to be inlet to that stock, which involves opening up the footprint in the stock and reducing the pillar depth. Badger Ordnance, GAP, and a host of other smiths offer the service for a relatively small fee.

That being said I installed a Magpul Hunter DBM into a HS stock that didn't require too much work if you're handy with a Dremel. Also doesn't require any changes to the pillar depth, just opening up the footprint a little bit.

JB-Done II.jpg

Can anyone tell me when this rifle was in production? It’s my understanding that it’s an older rifle and no longer available today.

I have 2 both are late 90`s early 2000`s models. One is chambered in .308 the other is .22-250. The .22-250 has been rebarreled with a Bartlein barrel, trued action, and side bolt release added by GA Precision. It is currently sitting in an MDT LSS XL Gen 2 chassis. I had just over 4,000 rounds through the factory barrel before it went south. When I dropped it off at GAP Moon was still working there and spun the barrel off while I was going over what I wanted done. He came back with the barrel and asked about the round count. He said he had never seen a barrel with so much throat erosion. I have a Bartlein Carbon Fiber barrel on order now. I have never shot a rifle as accurate as that one was right out of the factory. The .308 sits in a Manners T4-A with mini chassis and has the side bolt release added by GAP.