• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New rig for coyote hunting.

marku

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 10, 2008
Illinois
Ive got a Remington VS in .223 Remington. Im 100% sure its gonna be a .223AI for the 75gr AMax bullets. I need some help deciding on some stuff.

Heres the things I know for sure
23" Brougton 5C barrel (Standard Remington varmit contour) painted black
Fluted bolt
PAI bolt knob
PAI recoil lug
Jewell HVR

Heres the dilema I like 2 different stocks. First on is the AI 2.0 Folding stock in the tan color. I like it because I wont have to bed the action, it comes with a DBM system, and the folding stock makes it great for packing around. The downfall is the weight ive read they are kind of heavy

The 2nd on is the Mcmillan A5 (edge filler). It would be 50% black 50% OD green. It would also use the Badger M5 DBM system. It would have the spacer system in the back of the stock along with the saddle style cheekpiece. The main reason I like it is that it can probley be made lighter than the AI chasis system the downfall is that it would cost a little more.

I do alot of walking while hunting and want something thats portable that doesnt weight a TON. Rings and bases would be Seekins aluminum if possible (weight control). Also what barrel lengths do you guys run with the .223AI? Is it possible to get 3000fps out of a 21" barrel? Im also thinking of putting a Badger FTE on it just for the looks.

Re: New rig for coyote hunting.

Oh shoot, moderator please move this to the rifle section, Sorry.

I believe "Edge" technology only comes in painted, not molded in or swirly.

Why don't you build a light weight .223ai?

I wouldn't want to lug around a AI 2.0 or McM A5 for calling. Even if it was "Edge fill." I'd want something more slim and compact.

I'd be skipping the tactical bases/rings and running Talley's light weight rings.

Yes, it's possible with a 21" for over 3k. Running the g/f's .223ai with a 21" Mike rock and they're clocking in around 3020fps.

I'd be building something like this...

McM Mnt rifle stock or classic
#1 or #2 barrel @ 21"
ADL or BDL
Talley rings.
Quality 3-9, 4-14...

Good info there from SS110!

And to confirm, you can not get a McSwirly in EDGE fill. Painted finish only...

Ive even though about taking the HS stock thats on it and have HS repaint it in their camo color and have a M5 inleted for it. The stock thats on it doesnt weigh that much. My main concern with weight is not to have 20+lb rifle built like other 2 ive got. This guns gonna have more of a purpose than hitting steel and punching paper.

Possibly in Green tan camo.
Inleted for a M5 badger
21" Broughton Varmit Contour with a Badger FTE all black
PAI bolt knob
PAI recoil lug
Helically fluted bolt light grey
Seekins base with Talley or Seekins rings

I dont have a problem using a A5 for coyote hunting.
Picture540.jpg

Picture336.jpg

Picture812.jpg

A light weight rifle is also a pretty good choice for song dogs.
Picture819-1.jpg
Picture782.jpg

How about a Manner T3 with a carbon shell and lightweight fill?

Ive got to look into the Manners stocks. As of now I dont own one. I know there just as good as a Mcmillan or possibly better. I would like to get the weight on the Manners stock

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ridgerunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dont have a problem using a A5 for coyote hunting.
Picture540.jpg

Picture336.jpg

Picture812.jpg

A light weight rifle is also a pretty good choice for song dogs.
Picture819-1.jpg
Picture782.jpg
</div></div>

Sorry I just wanted everyone to see this again. A nice rifle being put to good use, Thats what I talking about!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SuperSeal110</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I believe "Edge" technology only comes in painted, not molded in or swirly.

Why don't you build a light weight .223ai?

I wouldn't want to lug around a AI 2.0 or McM A5 for calling. Even if it was "Edge fill." I'd want something more slim and compact.

I'd be skipping the tactical bases/rings and running Talley's light weight rings.

Yes, it's possible with a 21" for over 3k. Running the g/f's .223ai with a 21" Mike rock and they're clocking in around 3020fps.

I'd be building something like this...

McM Mnt rifle stock or classic
#1 or #2 barrel @ 21"
ADL or BDL
Talley rings.
Quality 3-9, 4-14...

</div></div>

What he said!! to a "T"

I have an AIC 2.0 folder on my J Hicks Build and it's a boat anchor,definitely not a walking rifle,,,ok so it looks cool but the yotes don't give two shits and neither do I..

Seal I'm about 45 minutes to your east down US12 we outta get together and bust some varmints some time...I'm buying the beers bro!

Ridgerunner

You own the best yote hunting pics hands down bro!
Beautiful kills,fukin sweet bang sticks and scenery
to die for.....

You are killing me with the pics of Blanca, wish i was back home in the valley, but no freaking work that will pay what i make. hate the city. but i might be going back home to Bountiful to visit my parents at the end of the month. NICE PICS!

I would go for a Mcm a5 edge for weight I have a std weight A5 and love it but you want lighter. Or, if you need it quicker manners with carbon fiber excellent stocks cant go wrong with either imo

Old Blanca was pretty Blanca this year.

A A3-5 wouldn't be a bad choice either.

Picture551.jpg