• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Rilfe and haven problems

stone7romeo

Private
Minuteman
Sep 28, 2009
Texas
Just got my custom .338 in and haven problems with the cases sticking after the shot. I was using Hornaday 250gr Customs. Anyone can tell me why this is happening and what I need to do to fix this promblem.

Re: New Rilfe and haven problems

what exactly do you mean by sticking? hard to open the bolt or case not extracting from the chamber?

The bolt turns and the case will not extract from the chamber. We have to us a cleaning rod to tap out the case while pulling on the bolt handle.

Have you tried any other ammo yet? If same thing happens with different ammo, sounds like either a headspace problem or chamber was not reamed properly, IMO.

is the chamber nic and smooth? if not it could cause it to stick, if its smooth it might be too tight. when you bought the gun did it come with its own custom dies? or were you told it had a tight neck?

Only time i've had that issue was with an old milsurp I bought to plink with. Turns out I had no extractor at all and completely missed it when cleaning her up to shoot.
blush.gif
Take a good look at that extractor.

Can I presume 338 Lapua???? And if by custom, you mean just back from your <span style="text-decoration: line-through">gun butcher's</span> gunsmith's, then I would speak to him first, before you fire it again.

As to why this happened, it could be bad ammo, or bad chambering job, bad extractor, might just be you were having a bad day, all-around.

Bob

I will try some new rounds, and it did not come with any dies. wish it did.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stone7romeo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will try some new rounds, and it did not come with any dies. wish it did.
</div></div>

Wrong answer pilgrim. Do not attempt to fire it again. Speak first with guy that built it. If you bought a custom rifle, second hand, and factory ammo is giving you a problem, have a competent gunsmith inspect it first. If it checks out ok, then call Hornady.

But I would not fire a rifle again, that exhibited problems with new factory ammo. How hot was it out, and was the ammo left in the sun????

It was about 75 out side and the ammo was in the house right before we used it. I call the maker of the rifle and he said it was cut to the Lapua specs and that is what he used when testing the rifle and it worked just fine.