• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New rings and Base

Facemelter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2012
Cincy,Ohio
Backround on the setup I currently have.

Remington 700 in 308,20 inch barrel.

Leupold one peice base with redfield rings bolted to a Vortex Viper pa scope. Nothing special,but I am upgrading my scope this weekend to a Viper PST. What kind of base and rings would be better than what I currently have.

Maybe a 20 moa weaver style base and some better rings?

Ok,I picked up my first "high Dollar" scope from the Indy gunshow this weekend. I bought a Vortex PST 6-24x50 moa/moa in FFP. I sold the Viper PA I had that was moa/mil. The scope guy I deal with talked me into the FFP,and I think I will really like it.

I also picked up a new EGW 20 MOA base and Vortex rings. Could'nt afford the Seekins since I spent it all on the scope. But I think Ill be happy with the setup.

TPS steel is good stuff. I use that on my 338 LM. About 200 for the rings and 20moa base.

I actually bought the SFP-PST,a day later I called him back and told him I had been looking through it and I really wasnt thrilled with how you have to do ranging and holdovers on Max magnification. I didnt even have it on the rifle yet,headed back to his place and swapped it out for a FFP-PST. Had to add some money,but I feel it was well worth it.

Little update.

Got the scope mounted on the rifle last weekend. Started sighting it in at 100. After my 3rd shot,a little black spec appeared on the glass. I grabbed the lens cloth and wiped both the front and back outside lens. no good,little black spec still there.

This little black spec was actually on the same glass as the reticle and would get larger and smaller with magnification. I called my scope guy,I bought his last one and he didnt have any more to swap me out.

I called Vortex as soon as they opened on Monday. They called for it back and had a Fedex label in my email while I was still on the phone with them. Great service if you ask me. Ill post when I receive the scope back and give you guys an update.

Edit,also called and asked them if painting the vortex scope will void the warranty,sales guy on the other end said it DOES NOT void the warranty.

Second update.

The great people at Vortex have my business for life. They got my scope in and out and back to me in 4 days. I could not be happier.

I have a match this weekend,and since I sold my other vortex to a friend of mine that will also be shooting this weekend,I was kinda SOL. Vortex came through and had my scope back before the weekend. I even have enough time to Zero in and get everything done.

Those guys are on the ball over there.