• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New S&B PMII 3-12x50/Scope Review [pics included]

Zion4

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2011
New York
Here is my new Schmidt and Bender for my future GAP M40A3. Its a PMII 3-12x50 LP MTC CCW with a Gen II reticule, which happened to be the closest civilian SB to the Mil-spec M8541.

As promised, here are some pictures:
2lc2rv9.jpg

x3h4p4.jpg

2iiu5nb.jpg

And a quick review...

THe first thing that I noticed when I unboxed it was how big and heavy the thing was. I guess I am used to hunting scopes and heavent really held a scope that wasn't mounted to a gun, but the scope is definitely big and heavy-thought its a good 'bigness' and 'heaviness' because the scope feels extremely sturdy and strong. It can definitely take a beating.

I haven't had much time to look through the glass, but it seemed flawless when I did quickly peer through it. Everything about the scope also has a really nice, sturdy feeling.

Basically, everything seems perfect <span style="font-style: italic">except</span> the turrets. As I was messing around with the elevation turret, trying to dial in various measurements and get a good feel for the clicks and all, I noticed that the .1 mil hash mark on the turret was not lining up with the small indicator arrow on the scope (see picture below). This worried me and I thought it might just be a problem with how the turret was tightened so I loosened it up, set it back to 0, but alas, it returned to the way it was. It may just be me being extremely picky, but in my opinion this was completely unacceptable for a $3,500 scope.

I ended up calling the S&B Customer Service center in the US and when I told them about my problem, the nice woman told me that some of the MTC elevation knob's had offset markings and that I could get a new knob for it (but the guy who is currently dealing with that issue has been out sick).

I also inspected the windage knob and found that some of the markings are off as well (though not as much as the elevation knob). Hopefully all of my problems can be fixed with an easy replacement of the windage and elevation knobs, but the fact that the scope had issues right out of the box did hurt my overall praise for the scope and Schmidt and Bender's quality control.

One other issue that I've noticed also deals with the knobs. I also noticed that if I am at a whole number like 1 mil, 2 mils, etc., it is pretty difficult to make a .1 mil adjustment directly left or right without having to go .2-3 and then trace back so I have only made .1 mil adjustment change total. I understand that this is due to the MTC aspect, but then again it is a $3,500 scope so I feel like I have the right to be very picky. It may be that this is another consequence of a bad knob, so hopefully it is fixed or improved a bit when I put on new knobs.

Overall, my complaints are on the pickier, more anal side, and the scope is an amazing piece of engineering as well as art and I am still content with my purchase.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Elevation doesn't line up (that should be at 0)</span>
95wjye.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Windage also isn't perfect</span>
55rvcn.jpg

Has anyone else had similar problems? Also, do you think I am being absurd and way to picky (especially about the windage), or do I have a legitimate complaint?

Re: New S&B PMII 3-12x50/Scope Review [pics included]

nice scope by the way. I do believe you are being picky, all you need to do is use the alan kee, losen the turrent cap and lift it up and put it back so that it alligns properly, remember you have to do this any way while you are zeroing your scope. Enjoy your Schmidt and Bender

Cheers

A

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Arif</div><div class="ubbcode-body">nice scope by the way. I do believe you are being picky, all you need to do is use the alan kee, losen the turrent cap and lift it up and put it back so that it alligns properly, remember you have to do this any way while you are zeroing your scope. Enjoy your Schmidt and Bender

Cheers

A</div></div>

I actually tried that a couple times but didn't get any better results.

I think it was Mark at s&b that was helping ppl out with that problem. Give them a call. Marsha or Lisa usually answer but they can set you straight too.

Yeah. I will definitely get hold of him and work out this problem.

What do you mean you loosened the knobs but they went right back to where they were? If you loosen them and put them on 0 and then carefully tighten them down they should be fine. Tightening without holding the knob will allow it to move a little.

The getting to .1 mil before or after the MTC is the nature of the beast and why i don't really care for MTCs. My Premiers I have had have been the same way.

I believe it was posted on here a while back that S&B had a bad run of MTC knobs and would replace this, maybe a search to find the original discussion but I seem to recall this being an issue with a certain lot of MTC knobs.

I have a 3-12 MTC with the p4f and everything lines up great on mine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What do you mean you loosened the knobs but they went right back to where they were? If you loosen them and put them on 0 and then carefully tighten them down they should be fine. Tightening without holding the knob will allow it to move a little. </div></div>

If I line it up directly over the 0 and then push it down to re-tighten the knob, it slides back over to the offset position. Even if I hold it really still and don't let it slide back and fully tighten it, once I move the knob it reverts back to original, bad position.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I believe it was posted on here a while back that S&B had a bad run of MTC knobs and would replace this, maybe a search to find the original discussion but I seem to recall this being an issue with a certain lot of MTC knobs.
</div></div>

I bet this is it because I would assume that it is an older scope because it has a GenII reticule which SB no longer offers.

Yeah it must be one of the bad batch. S&B will take care of that for you.

Yeah I seem to have a similar problem. Thanks for the help, Lowlight and Rob

Mine has the same issue with the MTC knobs too, thanks for the info guys!