• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Sako TRG-22 in. Questions.

Daniel Barham

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 27, 2006
Pine Hall, NC
TRG-22, S&B 5x25 Gen II XR. Near base, Badger rings. Started on barrel break in today. Thanks Alex for the Rifle, Carlos for the Scope, and Jon and Andy for helping me get some rings today. Question is, for any of you guys shooting these, what bullets have you had best luck with.
I have 178 Amax's, 155 Lapua Scenars, and 170 Lapua Lockbases. Haven't started load development yet. Breaking her in with LC Match and Fed GM Match.

0310091739.jpg

Re: New Sako TRG-22 in. Questions.

i get .4 inch 5 shot groups with 165 gr.federal sierra game kings. my trg absolutley sprayed the hornady 150gr bullets. the first and only time i shot a 550yd five shot group, the group measured a little less than 5in. and that was using the federals. congrats on the new gun, i absolutley love mine.

185 lapua scenar 2.805 oal IMR 4895 42.0 gr lapua brass, cci br2 primers 2575fps at 15' from muzzle shoots great(1/4 to 3/8 moa) from 100 to 750yd.

LC brass, 175 SMK, IMR 4064, CCI BR2, 3.175 case head to ogive

ETA: Nice setup by the way!

Got to do some shooting yesterday with it. Got it sighted in and put 50 rounds through it. Older 03' LC Match. 173 gr stuff. Pulled some bullets a while back to check these and powder charge and bullet weights were all over the place. Either way,
got it on at 100, and got about 8 or 9 five shot groups out. Got to get a pick up of the target, nothing to brag about, but almost all at .5 moa. Got to see how it likes some decent handloads.

Very nice scope! I'm running that exact setup but with a Leupy LR/t M3. Mine oves 175SMK's. It also shoots 1/4 moa...no bs...with Speer 125TNT's as a varmint load. I haven't tried 155 Scenars yet. Did you pick it up from Alex Roy? He's a good guy and is only about 25 mins from me (at least when I'm in PA)

CMS

Nice setup, I'm getting ready to buy a TRG 22 myself. I have been told they really like the Winchester 175 Grain Sierra MatchKing Hollow Point Boat Tail's, if your not hand loading. I'm looking at the Nighforce NXS 3.5-15 x 50 F1 with Horus H37 Reticle. Congrat's again on that fine setup. Cheers

Mike

P.S. Just curious on how you broke your barrel in? I normally shoot one shot, clean, then shot one shot, clean. I do this for the first 10 shots, then two shots, clean the weapon, and repeat this for 7 times. Then I shoot 5 shots, clean the weapon, then repeat this for 5 times. I know everyone has their own way of breaking in a barrel.

168AMAX loaded long with 44gr Varget and win primers work best in my TRG 22. It shoots everything MOA or less.

Here is a 100 yard 1/2 inch dot target I shot using that load. As far as barrel break in, I just went to he range and shot it till I got low on ammo. I cleaned it after the first 50 rounds or so. As hard as the barrel is, barrel break in is a waste of your time IMHO

3044929748_69ca25e18a.jpg

congratulations she sure looks sexy. I will have enough saved in July to finally buy a trg22. The only reason I want one is because they are so damn sexy. and she can cook too!

God, I love those Sakos. I briefly had a TRG-42. I absolutely could not justify keeping a 338 Lapua with only a 650 yard range, but I totally regret selling it.

It was every bit as nice as any custom I have had or handled. Wicked well built.

My .308 TRG is on the way. I'm topping it with a NF F1 for a course at RiflesOnly in May.

Unfortunately, I have to use factory ammo-- and the only good supply was HSM 168gr. HPBT.

I'll sight it in using M118, 168gr. I can't wait! Woo-hoo!

Great Northern Guns in Anchorage Ak has a TRG 42 (New) for sale . Call 907-563-3006. They sell it to you. I think they want $3600 for the rifle, the break the scope mount and a extra mag.