• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

New savage 110BA 338 LM

joediesel81

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2011
riverside,ca
www.youtube.com
Hi guys

I just got my new savage 110ba 338 LM, looking for some glass for it. What would you recommend?.

thanks
Joe.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/giLuzU-_DvQ"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/giLuzU-_DvQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Re: New savage 110BA 338 LM

I recommend you elaborate (very specifically) on your intended useage of the rifle. Further, I recommend you spend some quality reading/research time in the optics section. Believe it or not, you are not the first person with a 338LM with this question. Please inform yourself before proceeding, and we'll be glad to help.

My goal is to hit a man size target out to 2000 yards and under 2k in the price. so far nightforce is looking like the one to get. I'm just want to see what other are using in 338LM.

I put a Nightforce 5.5-22x56 with Nightforce Low rings on mine, but it has the HS Precision stock on it. There is a good article in Tactical Operator Magazine comparing it to a Steyer .338L and they scored them the same at the end. But the Steyer is $7000.00!!!

Vortex Razor HD. would be my choice.. In that price range. if you could double your money get a premier.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TacBlade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I put a Nightforce 5.5-22x56 with Nightforce Low rings on mine, but it has the HS Precision stock on it. There is a good article in Tactical Operator Magazine comparing it to a Steyer .338L and they scored them the same at the end. But the Steyer is $7000.00!!! </div></div>

If FFP isn't a must in your scope options...the NF benchrest optics will provide more optical zoom for less money in conparison the NX models.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BravoSector1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TacBlade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I put a Nightforce 5.5-22x56 with Nightforce Low rings on mine, but it has the HS Precision stock on it. There is a good article in Tactical Operator Magazine comparing it to a Steyer .338L and they scored them the same at the end. But the Steyer is $7000.00!!! </div></div>

If FFP isn't a must in your scope options...the NF benchrest optics will provide more optical zoom for less money in conparison the NX models. </div></div>

At a cost of much less elevation travel. My 8-32 NF gets me to 1500 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TacBlade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I put a Nightforce 5.5-22x56 with Nightforce Low rings on mine, but it has the HS Precision stock on it. There is a good article in Tactical Operator Magazine comparing it to a Steyer .338L and they scored them the same at the end. But the Steyer is $7000.00!!!</div></div>

You really think a Savage 338LM will compare to a Steyr 338LM? lol.
I think they both might weigh the same and use the same caliber bullet.
That's where the comparison stops. I handled the Savage 338LM at Cabelas, then decided instead to buy the Rem 700 Police 338LM, but when I saw the Steyr that was it for me. Whatever else it does well, it can take almost any over pressure event safely. I doubt Savage tests to the Euro specs that Steyr must test to.

I'll have to take a look at the Steyr review. BTW I also posted one in the Bolt Action rifle forum, but it doens't compare to other rifles afaik, just reviews the SSG08. BTW you can buy them for around $5600, not $7K. Also while you always don't get better quality with more dollars, usually when the higher price comes with a well trusted brand, I tend to believe I am getting a better product. Esp stuff like firearms where tolerances, design and reliability and testing costs can vary.

well, I don't have either a Savage or a Steyr 338LM, but I do have 4 Steyr SSG 308s and a bunch of Savages and Remingtons.... I'm selling all the Steyrs and Remingtons, it's always a savage if I keep it...just sayin'

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cali_tz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TacBlade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I put a Nightforce 5.5-22x56 with Nightforce Low rings on mine, but it has the HS Precision stock on it. There is a good article in Tactical Operator Magazine comparing it to a Steyer .338L and they scored them the same at the end. But the Steyer is $7000.00!!!</div></div>

That's where the comparison stops. I handled the Savage 338LM at Cabelas, then decided instead to buy the Rem 700 Police 338LM, but when I saw the Steyr that was it for me. Whatever else it does well, it can take almost any over pressure event safely. I doubt Savage tests to the Euro specs that Steyr must test to.

I'll have to take a look at the Steyr review. BTW I also posted one in the Bolt Action rifle forum, but it doens't compare to other rifles afaik, just reviews the SSG08. BTW you can buy them for around $5600, not $7K. Also while you always don't get better quality with more dollars, usually when the higher price comes with a well trusted brand, I tend to believe I am getting a better product. Esp stuff like firearms where tolerances, design and reliability and testing costs can vary. </div></div>

Huh???

Difference in CIP/SAAMI is WHERE the pressue is measured...not that it's more or less...right?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cali_tz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TacBlade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I put a Nightforce 5.5-22x56 with Nightforce Low rings on mine, but it has the HS Precision stock on it. There is a good article in Tactical Operator Magazine comparing it to a Steyer .338L and they scored them the same at the end. But the Steyer is $7000.00!!!</div></div>

I'll have to take a look at the Steyr review. BTW I also posted one in the Bolt Action rifle forum, but it doens't compare to other rifles afaik, just reviews the SSG08. BTW you can buy them for around $5600, not $7K. Also while you always don't get better quality with more dollars, usually when the higher price comes with a well trusted brand, I tend to believe I am getting a better product. Esp stuff like firearms where tolerances, design and reliability and testing costs can vary.</div></div>

I will never own a Steyr, as I cannot afford it. But, I am sure it is one helluva rifle and the quality is top notch. I am just saying what they put in the article. Take a look at it, the Savage only averaged .28 less than the Steyr. But I am sure the Steyer could take more abuse, as they did state in the article.

re chamber pressure Steyr is required to get some European certificate before they are allowed to sell the rifle anywhere. Sorry I can't recall attm what it's name is and who this EU testing agency is... I'm sure somebody here knows.

But they test the rifle for over pressure conditions. The Steyr SSG08 338LM for example is tested at Steyr (in addition to this agency) by blocking the barrel with a bullet down the pipe and firing another into it. That's what I've been told by someone whose been to the factory. That's the kind of over design I appreciate and are happy to pay for. The review I posted also talks about SSG08 being certified to handle 20% above the max pressures standards.

I am surprised one would sell all their Steyr's and Remingtons ... I got into Steyr because I saw how amazing a product the 308 Steyr Scout was. I figured their 338LM had to be similarly well put together. I'd love to compare a 308 SSG08 against my Remington 700 Police which I can shoot well. I can't say that I have mastered the 338LM platform. It's a tough gun to run.

There is no way on earth their (Steyr) 338 can withstand a blocked barrel.

Evidence?

20% overpressure and a full cartridge being fired with a squib bullet in the bore are VERY VERY different things.

I'm familiar with the Steyr scout. It has a little pencil barrel that is fluted. For that model too handle an obstructed barrel, it would need to be made of Reardon metal! (Unobtainium)

turbo54, I agree of course those are wildly different situations. Just repeating what has been written and told to me, and not presented as the same thing, but two different stories about how Steyr overdesigns their eqpt.

And I have not heard anything about the Scout model and how it's been tested, but I think it has to pass at least that 20% overpressure test.

btw I found that issue of Tactical Operator... it's comparing the 110 FCP HS, not the 110 BA, to the Steyr. I've been reading that Savage shipped alot of these FCP HS 338LM with a 0 MOA base... I think that suggests alot here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cali_tz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">btw I found that issue of Tactical Operator... it's comparing the 110 FCP HS, not the 110 BA, to the Steyr. I've been reading that Savage shipped alot of these FCP HS 338LM with a 0 MOA base... I think that suggests alot here. </div></div>

I know its not the 110 BA, but I guess I did not clarify myself, my bad. I called EGW on the base and they told me that all their bases that went to Savage for the .338 Lapua are 20 MOA. That all started by someone just eye balling it and saying it does not appear to be a 20 MOA base, but all of them are 20 MOA. I also called Savage on this and they said they are 20 MOA. Anyway, the article is interesting, but hands down we all know Steyr is the better rifle and can more than likely shoot more consistant than the Savage. That is just my opinion. If i had money to burn, i would go with a more expensive .338 Lapua, just because. My HS stocked Savage is shooting very good though, but i have just started shooting it with factory loads. After Christmas, i will have all my reloading items to start testing handloads for it.

I'll throw some coals in the fire... :)

I had a steyr SSG in 308. I had NO interest in it, but for $700 with the proprietary rings and a 20moa rail to fit the proprietary dovetail, and the double set trigger, I couldn't say no.

Thoughts:

I'm not a big fan of locking lugs that engage in the "rear ring" of the receiver. As an engineer, I understand buckling moments, and I think a designer is really asking for trouble when they intend for a ~.750" diameter hollow "bolt" to transmit a compressive force 5". Why not just put the lugs as far forward to minimize risk of the bolt buckling???

Also, the bolt and locking lugs were either cast, or MIM....which I found amazing. I wouldn't have thought either of those two manufacturing methods would have produced a part strong enough.

For such an expensive rifle, the stock was not much better than the injection molded stock cheap savages and remmingtons come in... WTF?

The barrel "tennon" is not threaded into the receiver. Its a frickin press-fit! A nice tight fit can be achieved this way, but few gunsmiths are going to have the ability to rebarrel it. I think most gunsmiths would probably end up threading the receiver for a thread-in barrel.

The rifle was worthless for shooting groups. A 10 shot group in even 10 minutes would be ~1.5moa. HOWEVER, it was a cold bore gun. I kept a target that I would fire one (first of the day) round at each time I went to the range, and it maintained .5 or better moa. Don't know why, but it did.

The proprietary dovetail/rail arrangement was flawless. For how PERFECT those rings fit the rail, even before tightening them, it absolutely amazed me they'd both fit at the same time, when they were mounted to my scope. Flawless. The rail had a forward dead stop, so the scope would return to exactly the same spot each time. Flawless.

That said, however, this is 'Meraca (America)... Don't give me a rifle that has some kind of proprietary dovetail thing on the top of the receiver, then rape me for $400 for *the* set of rings that fit...especially when you already raped me for $2500+ for the rifle itself. Give me nothing and I'll put a pic rail on it. Better yet, do it like Surgeon does and give me an integral pic rail.

It came with a nice bolt knob - no need for a conversion.

It was also one of the slickest actions I've ever felt. CERTAINLY the slickest factory rifle action I've ever felt....but a close second is the Sig Target Rifle my friend has.

I guess my point is after owning one, I'm wasn't convinced Steyr had anything too amazing to show for themselves. Look at it this way: I sold the Steyr, and kept my Savage!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll throw some coals in the fire... :)

I had a steyr SSG in 308. I had NO interest in it, but for $700 with the proprietary rings and a 20moa rail to fit the proprietary dovetail, and the double set trigger, I couldn't say no.

Thoughts:

I'm not a big fan of locking lugs that engage in the "rear ring" of the receiver. As an engineer, I understand buckling moments, and I think a designer is really asking for trouble when they intend for a ~.750" diameter hollow "bolt" to transmit a compressive force 5". Why not just put the lugs as far forward to minimize risk of the bolt buckling???

Also, the bolt and locking lugs were either cast, or MIM....which I found amazing. I wouldn't have thought either of those two manufacturing methods would have produced a part strong enough.

For such an expensive rifle, the stock was not much better than the injection molded stock cheap savages and remmingtons come in... WTF?

The barrel "tennon" is not threaded into the receiver. Its a frickin press-fit! A nice tight fit can be achieved this way, but few gunsmiths are going to have the ability to rebarrel it. I think most gunsmiths would probably end up threading the receiver for a thread-in barrel.

The rifle was worthless for shooting groups. A 10 shot group in even 10 minutes would be ~1.5moa. HOWEVER, it was a cold bore gun. I kept a target that I would fire one (first of the day) round at each time I went to the range, and it maintained .5 or better moa. Don't know why, but it did.

The proprietary dovetail/rail arrangement was flawless. For how PERFECT those rings fit the rail, even before tightening them, it absolutely amazed me they'd both fit at the same time, when they were mounted to my scope. Flawless. The rail had a forward dead stop, so the scope would return to exactly the same spot each time. Flawless.

That said, however, this is 'Meraca (America)... Don't give me a rifle that has some kind of proprietary dovetail thing on the top of the receiver, then rape me for $400 for *the* set of rings that fit...especially when you already raped me for $2500+ for the rifle itself. Give me nothing and I'll put a pic rail on it. Better yet, do it like Surgeon does and give me an integral pic rail.

It came with a nice bolt knob - no need for a conversion.

It was also one of the slickest actions I've ever felt. CERTAINLY the slickest factory rifle action I've ever felt....but a close second is the Sig Target Rifle my friend has.

I guess my point is after owning one, I'm wasn't convinced Steyr had anything too amazing to show for themselves. Look at it this way: I sold the Steyr, and kept my Savage!</div></div>

Thank You! Thank You! & Thank You!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coug</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Vortex Razor HD. would be my choice.. In that price range. if you could double your money get a premier. </div></div>

this... after looking threw some NF's.. the Razor glass is better

Well I shouldn't have derailed the OP's post and request for advice.

turbo54... I don't know what SSG you looked at, but the bolt on the SSG08 338LM is most definitely not cast, nor are the lugs in the rear, but double locking lugs up in front. In fact the SBS system on my 338LM seems close to the Scout 308 rifle (also not cast or rear lug'd). So I can't imagine what SSG platform you were looking at. Strange.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cali_tz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I shouldn't have derailed the OP's post and request for advice.

turbo54... I don't know what SSG you looked at, but the bolt on the SSG08 338LM is most definitely not cast, nor are the lugs in the rear, but double locking lugs up in front. In fact the SBS system on my 338LM seems close to the Scout 308 rifle (also not cast or rear lug'd). So I can't imagine what SSG platform you were looking at. Strange. </div></div>

It was an SSG69 PII

Note lack of lugs up front:

SSG69 Bolt Picture

Note the double-row of lugs, in relation to the bolt knob/lever. Hard to see in the picture, but you can see the casting/MIM runner gates on the rear piece of the bolt with the lever and lugs... I can ASSURE you you it's either cast or MIM.

Steyr_ssg_69_verschluss.jpg

My point is not that Steyr's 338 offering is identical to the SSG69. My point is only that assuming a given product is "good" or "quality" based only on brand can have its pitfalls. I know exactly zip.shit about Steyr's 338, but their SSG69 308 was not impressive.

doesn't look like something that would be cast, from this point of view in the picture, but I wouldn't bet against your physical assessment. Brands can certainly screw up, one has to remain somewhat skeptical. The SSG69 I think is a pretty old platform.

btw, here is a review of the SSG08 in 308 caliber. Note the comment about chamber testing with barrel obstructions. They also note the improvement to the SSG69 design.

http://www.steyrarms.com/fileadmin/user/news/SSG08-deadeye.pdf

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cali_tz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">doesn't look like something that would be cast, from this point of view in the picture, but I wouldn't bet against your physical assessment. Brands can certainly screw up, one has to remain somewhat skeptical. The SSG69 I think is a pretty old platform.

btw, here is a review of the SSG08 in 308 caliber. Note the comment about chamber testing with barrel obstructions. They also note the improvement to the SSG69 design.

http://www.steyrarms.com/fileadmin/user/news/SSG08-deadeye.pdf </div></div>

Wow! I'd like to know how that is accomplished! Maybe Steyr bought some Reardon metal?

Dunno, but don't look for me to field test this claim! BTW I think the larger problem with the 338LM is not the rifle... I am pretty sure the Savage, Rem, Sako, etc.. can all do the 'job'. It's learning how to shoot this particular caliber.

For sure it's just not the same as my Remington 308 with harris bipod front loaded. The 338LM seems to require adjustments to my shooting tech which works well at 308. I still have not by any means mastered this gun. Or the previous Rem 700 338LM. Getting better, but long way to go. Problem is despite the great muzzle break, the heavy weight, etc... it's fatiguing to shoot these beasts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TacBlade</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cali_tz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">btw I found that issue of Tactical Operator... it's comparing the 110 FCP HS, not the 110 BA, to the Steyr. I've been reading that Savage shipped alot of these FCP HS 338LM with a 0 MOA base... I think that suggests alot here. </div></div>

I know its not the 110 BA, but I guess I did not clarify myself, my bad. I called EGW on the base and they told me that all their bases that went to Savage for the .338 Lapua are 20 MOA. That all started by someone just eye balling it and saying it does not appear to be a 20 MOA base, but all of them are 20 MOA. I also called Savage on this and they said they are 20 MOA. Anyway, the article is interesting, but hands down we all know Steyr is the better rifle and can more than likely shoot more consistant than the Savage. That is just my opinion. If i had money to burn, i would go with a more expensive .338 Lapua, just because. My HS stocked Savage is shooting very good though, but i have just started shooting it with factory loads. After Christmas, i will have all my reloading items to start testing handloads for it. </div></div>

My HS model did indeed come with a 0MOA base, not a 20. This isn't eye balling, this is 100% truth. Not sure who you spoke with at Savage either bc they told me the exact opposite of what you are saying. The only reason I bothered to call them was because of the claims that EGW has said they only sent 20MOA bases and Savage said that was true. It does not appear to be true, at least not in every case. If somebody at savage really told you this than let me know who they were so I can call and get a 20MOA replacement for mine before I go buying one. Also, the 110BA and the HS model are the exact same gun aside from the stock so any type of pressure, accuracy, or any other types of comparisons, would stand to be the same between the two.

why not have the savage accurized for a few extra bucks, then you have a even better shooter and it can compete with the Steyer... hell buy 5 of them and have accurized for the price of the Steyer.

Snipedog,

I'll measure mine when I get home. If I have a 20MOA EGW on mine I would be willing to make you a great deal on it. I have a 20MOA Nightforce base on order.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TacBlade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I put a Nightforce 5.5-22x56 with Nightforce Low rings on mine, but it has the HS Precision stock on it. There is a good article in Tactical Operator Magazine comparing it to a Steyer .338L and they scored them the same at the end. But the Steyer is $7000.00!!! </div></div>

Even with the low rings there was room for the 56mm Objective? Im looking at the 5.5-22x50 and using the med rings on my 110FCP.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dstewart51</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TacBlade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I put a Nightforce 5.5-22x56 with Nightforce Low rings on mine, but it has the HS Precision stock on it. There is a good article in Tactical Operator Magazine comparing it to a Steyer .338L and they scored them the same at the end. But the Steyer is $7000.00!!! </div></div>

Even with the low rings there was room for the 56mm Objective? Im looking at the 5.5-22x50 and using the med rings on my 110FCP. </div></div>

The lows may not be possible with the Alluminum stocked version, as I did read somewhere that the rail out front is higher on that one. But, I have about 1/4" of space between the scope and the barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Snipedogg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TacBlade</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cali_tz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">btw I found that issue of Tactical Operator... it's comparing the 110 FCP HS, not the 110 BA, to the Steyr. I've been reading that Savage shipped alot of these FCP HS 338LM with a 0 MOA base... I think that suggests alot here. </div></div>

I know its not the 110 BA, but I guess I did not clarify myself, my bad. I called EGW on the base and they told me that all their bases that went to Savage for the .338 Lapua are 20 MOA. That all started by someone just eye balling it and saying it does not appear to be a 20 MOA base, but all of them are 20 MOA. I also called Savage on this and they said they are 20 MOA. Anyway, the article is interesting, but hands down we all know Steyr is the better rifle and can more than likely shoot more consistant than the Savage. That is just my opinion. If i had money to burn, i would go with a more expensive .338 Lapua, just because. My HS stocked Savage is shooting very good though, but i have just started shooting it with factory loads. After Christmas, i will have all my reloading items to start testing handloads for it. </div></div>

My HS model did indeed come with a 0MOA base, not a 20. This isn't eye balling, this is 100% truth. Not sure who you spoke with at Savage either bc they told me the exact opposite of what you are saying. The only reason I bothered to call them was because of the claims that EGW has said they only sent 20MOA bases and Savage said that was true. It does not appear to be true, at least not in every case. If somebody at savage really told you this than let me know who they were so I can call and get a 20MOA replacement for mine before I go buying one. Also, the 110BA and the HS model are the exact same gun aside from the stock so any type of pressure, accuracy, or any other types of comparisons, would stand to be the same between the two. </div></div>

I am not sure who I talked to at Savage, but I just went and took a measurement with my digital caliper and its the same at the front and it is in the rear? I am going to call EGW back and ask if they will swap it out, if not, then Savage should be able to do something about this?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TacBlade</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Snipedogg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TacBlade</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cali_tz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">btw I found that issue of Tactical Operator... it's comparing the 110 FCP HS, not the 110 BA, to the Steyr. I've been reading that Savage shipped alot of these FCP HS 338LM with a 0 MOA base... I think that suggests alot here. </div></div>

My HS model did indeed come with a 0MOA base, not a 20. This isn't eye balling, this is 100% truth. Not sure who you spoke with at Savage either bc they told me the exact opposite of what you are saying. The only reason I bothered to call them was because of the claims that EGW has said they only sent 20MOA bases and Savage said that was true. It does not appear to be true, at least not in every case. If somebody at savage really told you this than let me know who they were so I can call and get a 20MOA replacement for mine before I go buying one. Also, the 110BA and the HS model are the exact same gun aside from the stock so any type of pressure, accuracy, or any other types of comparisons, would stand to be the same between the two. </div></div>

I am not sure who I talked to at Savage, but I just went and took a measurement with my digital caliper and its the same at the front and it is in the rear? I am going to call EGW back and ask if they will swap it out, if not, then Savage should be able to do something about this? </div></div>

Savage didn't seem to wanna do shit when I called. The girl sounded tone deaf and said yup sorry they're all 0 MOA. Let me know if you break ground with it because I couldn't get anything figured out and I'm just at the pointof ordering a nice 20 MOA steel base.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dstewart51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Snipedog,

I'll measure mine when I get home. If I have a 20MOA EGW on mine I would be willing to make you a great deal on it. I have a 20MOA Nightforce base on order. </div></div>

Does the NF base have 8-40 holes?

Not sure if its set up for #8 screw. Ill have to call them in the morning and find out. What I have on order is the A165 that's listed for the Long Action Savage post 2004 (Accutrigger).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dstewart51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not sure if its set up for #8 screw. Ill have to call them in the morning and find out. What I have on order is the A165 that's listed for the Long Action Savage post 2004 (Accutrigger). </div></div>

Hmm, even if it's not it shouldn't be a big deal to open it up. It's not a huge difference in size and the inlet for the bolt head should be big enough in case you have to do that. Let us know because this was my main concern when looking at a base to get for mine.

btw I saw that Tactical Operators review... what a joke that magazine is.

So get this... the guy claims to be comparing 338 Lapua Mags and you know what he chooses as the metric for accuracy: 200 yard groups. 200 yards. 'Nuff said about that article. 338LM owners could care less whether the group is 0.5 or 0.75MOA at 200 yards... what we care about is cold bore at 1600 !!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DG 308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would recommend Nightforce 5.5-22x56 +20 or 30 MOA base </div></div>

Oh yea, the OP's topic... +1

The only thing I would add is, I have read many reviews of those who either had both the 50 and 56mm objective or who have tried both and they all said they could not see a difference in real world light gathering. I could not find one person who said the 56mm was a noticeable advantage. On paper, the 56mm should be brighter.

If your serious about 2K yards then you may run out of elevation with a 20MOA base, so 30MOA may be the ticket. I have no idea what is involved in changing out the base on the BA.

I don't think you have to change the base... just get a rings solution that adds MOA. I can't or don't want to change my 20MOA base on my Steyr, so I will get a rings solution that adds 15-20MOA. There is another thread on exactly this question I had and several good solutions came out. Barrett, Near, Spuhr are some brands that solve this problem.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Snipedogg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dstewart51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not sure if its set up for #8 screw. Ill have to call them in the morning and find out. What I have on order is the A165 that's listed for the Long Action Savage post 2004 (Accutrigger). </div></div>

Hmm, even if it's not it shouldn't be a big deal to open it up. It's not a huge difference in size and the inlet for the bolt head should be big enough in case you have to do that. Let us know because this was my main concern when looking at a base to get for mine. </div></div>

I checked my Factory supplied EGW base, 0MOA as well.

Unfortunately NF is closed on Fridays, I will have to wait until Monday to find out what size screw their base is drilled for.

Thanks guys.

I'm going with nightforce nxs 5.5-22x56mm. I like the 100moa internal adjustment. The savage BA came with a 20moa base, with that I would have about 70moa of adjustment or more. Also planning to use 300 Grain Hybrid Open Tip Match with H1000 powder. With 70moa the nightforce should do 2,000 yards with out any hold over.

Any link or recipes for the 300gr pills and H1000 powder?

Joe.

I was looking at the mark IV scopes, the long range version 8.5-25X50 has an internal adjustment of 75moa, is that enough adjustment for a mile long shot? sorry don't mean to thread jack

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: joediesel81</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My goal is to hit a man size target out to 2000 yards and under 2k in the price. so far nightforce is looking like the one to get. I'm just want to see what other are using in 338LM. </div></div>

Really - who dont you like? Im not sure I can tell the good guys from the bad guys at 2000 yds and I'd be happy to be able to hit a minivan size target regularly at 2K as I find 1K challenging in the wind. I guess what I am saying to you is that while there are a few guys around who can kill someone at 2K they spent more than just a little time and ammo getting there. The 338LM is not a cheap date and they wear barrels out but that is another story. As for the optics I actually know something about those and my choice would be Heinsoldt first choice followed closely by U.S. Optics. As for Nightforce I would rather have the Super Sniper 5-20 - oh wait I do have two of them and no Im not giving them up. I actually think the glass in my Leupold Mk4 scopes is better than the glass in the Nightforce but NF does have good mechanicals. S&B and Premier would also be a fine choice but first place does go to the Heinsoldt and second place to the U.S. Optics with Premier and S&B in there that puts NF oops at 6th place behind the less expensive SS from SWFA.com and with thier Black Friday sale on it HMMM. At 2K glass makes a difference.

I had mk 4 long range on my .308 with 0moa scope base. After i zeroed rifle at 100 yards i had 5or 6 mils left up around 40 moa .
To get to a mile with .338 lm (300gr bullet @2700fps) you need around 22 mils from 100yard zero.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DG 308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had mk 4 long range on my .308 with 0moa scope base. After i zeroed rifle at 100 yards i had 5or 6 mils left up around 40 moa .
To get to a mile with .338 lm (300gr bullet @2700fps) you need around 22 mils from 100yard zero. </div></div>

300gr at 2700 I need about 65moa I have a mark 4 on my 308 and it give me about 40moa too. I going to try out the scope soon on the 338. With a bit of hold over,the scope will do fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Urimaginaryfrnd</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: joediesel81</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My goal is to hit a man size target out to 2000 yards and under 2k in the price. so far nightforce is looking like the one to get. I'm just want to see what other are using in 338LM. </div></div>

Really - who dont you like? Im not sure I can tell the good guys from the bad guys at 2000 yds and I'd be happy to be able to hit a minivan size target regularly at 2K as I find 1K challenging in the wind. I guess what I am saying to you is that while there are a few guys around who can kill someone at 2K they spent more than just a little time and ammo getting there. The 338LM is not a cheap date and they wear barrels out but that is another story. As for the optics I actually know something about those and my choice would be Heinsoldt first choice followed closely by U.S. Optics. As for Nightforce I would rather have the Super Sniper 5-20 - oh wait I do have two of them and no Im not giving them up. I actually think the glass in my Leupold Mk4 scopes is better than the glass in the Nightforce but NF does have good mechanicals. S&B and Premier would also be a fine choice but first place does go to the Heinsoldt and second place to the U.S. Optics with Premier and S&B in there that puts NF oops at 6th place behind the less expensive SS from SWFA.com and with thier Black Friday sale on it HMMM. At 2K glass makes a difference. </div></div>

2k is a long way to hit something.I would be happy to hit some thing more like a mile away.I have the Leupold mark 4 6.5-20. The glass looks very clean. I went to check out the nightforce and they are nice but not so clear.thanks for the comment.

I have only been out to about 800 yards so far with the BA, but I dialed dope and down and never missed a beat? Millet LRS-1 $400. One day I will own a high-end scope, but for now I am ok with the LRS-1. I have one on my 308 Tikka and it did not miss a beat dialing dope up and down from 100 to 1000.
As for clear glass, I had a NF and S&B with the same magnification and out to 1K I could not see an appreciable difference in clarity? To tell the truth the LRS was brighter! The 140 MOA adjustment is nice, just saying.

DSC01051-1.jpg

DSC01110.jpg

Diego

nice diego, I might start out with one of those scopes myself.

I just checked these out and it seems a lot of people like them for the price, I saw a few that have the illuminated recticle on them. Is that a feature that most like? What do you long range shooters think about the illuminated recticle?