• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Savage 12FV mag won't eject magazine

TexasClassIII

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2011
Dallas, TX
Got a brand new Savage 12FV .223 NIB today.

For the life of me, I can't get the mag to eject.

I'm not missing any secret voodoo here, right? I've read the manual 5 times.

I took the stock off and noticed things seemed *extremely* tight front to back around the mag.

Have any other Savage users had similar problems? I'll be calling their help line tomorrow but this is a customer's rifle and I hate to send it in for repair before he even takes delivery...

Parker

Re: New Savage 12FV mag won't eject magazine

if you have a 12 FV... you missed that it doesn't have a detachable mag... the detachable mag model is the 12FCV

Are you able to move the ejection lever at all?? I deal with the factory Savage magazine bodies all the time, and I have some that are extremely tight, and others just snap right in.

On the ones that are extremely tight, you can lightly grind down the sides of the front of the magazine where it contacts the bottom of the receiver. I wouldn't recommend grinding down the ejection lever itself.

If you are not able to move the ejection lever by hand, you can use a dowel or the butt end of a screwdriver, and press hard until it releases. If you can move the lever and the magazine won't come out, you can force it out using the dowel from the action opening. Once you break it free, it should be MUCH easier to remove the next time.

DK

Force Multiplier: is this true? I wondered if the 12FV wasn't a detachable mag, but that just didn't seem like it'd be right. It has a magazine...so you are expected to load it without ejecting it from the rifle?

Parker

Whoops.

Multiplier, you are right. The 12fv is internal mag only.

I need to read a little more carefully when ordering. Luckily the customer is fine since he saved some cash over the 12fcv.

Lesson learned.

Parker