• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New savage mark II tr- question

Toddcal13

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 29, 2010
Bay Area, CA
Hey guys,

Searched but couldn't find an answer on this... I just picked up my new savage mark II from my FFL. Opened her up mounted my base, scope and bipod, and started noticing quite a bit of brown almost dry packing grease all over the bolt and feed/mag well. Cleaned off using a bit of break free, came off easy and decided to wet a patch and run it thru the barrel.

The grease was saturating the bore and took forever to get patches even moderately clean... Is this normal? I have six rifles and have never come across this before. ( I'll add that this is my only sub-$1000 rifle)

Bore looks fine and even though it's not spic and span clean I'm sure the first 10 rounds will shoot it out.

I don't have any reason to be concerned, do I?

Thanks

Todd

Re: New savage mark II tr- question

Didn't have that problem with mine. Goes back to the question previously asked "was the rifle new?".

It's NORMAL. That stuff from the bolt is the residue from a chemical used for blueing. Clean it with a bronze brush.
Clean the barrel well before you shoot.
Done.

mine had a little as well. the brush helped a lot and haven't seen any "gunk" since