• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Savage Mk II-F Questions.

dustiningram07

Private
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2010
Paktika, AFG
Have a few quesitons about having your barrel cut and threaded.
Already read TopPreadators threads on his rifle.
(Thank you for the info!!)

Alright, i want this barrel cut to about 16 inches from the std. 20(ish) inches, My question is...when you get a barrel cut and threaded do you get it crowned to?
What does a crown do for you?
I know a deep crown pushes the sound and blast of a shot away from the operator, is that all?

Next question, TP stuffed his stock with walmart bags, what is a good foam to use for medium weight and to get rid of the cheap hollow noise, maybe spray on insulation?

There is a thread on the site where a guy made his 10/22 look like his remington 700, he made his own recoil pad from stuff he got from home depot...i cant find the thread, anyone got the link?

Last question...UFO over California...what is it?

Re: New Savage Mk II-F Questions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NotAnAddict</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have a few quesitons about having your barrel cut and threaded.
Already read TopPreadators threads on his rifle.
(Thank you for the info!!)

Alright, i want this barrel cut to about 16 inches from the std. 20(ish) inches, My question is...when you get a barrel cut and threaded do you get it crowned to?
What does a crown do for you?
I know a deep crown pushes the sound and blast of a shot away from the operator, is that all?

Next question, TP stuffed his stock with walmart bags, what is a good foam to use for medium weight and to get rid of the cheap hollow noise, maybe spray on insulation?

There is a thread on the site where a guy made his 10/22 look like his remington 700, he made his own recoil pad from stuff he got from home depot...i cant find the thread, anyone got the link?

Last question...UFO over California...what is it?

</div></div>

Others can, and will give you a better reason for the crown but it is very important. The crown essentially gives you a smooth release of the bullet from the rifling. Crowns with burs and/or imperfections can really cause problems. Whoever cuts the barrel down and threads it should be able to crown it for you.

For stuffing the stock, just about anything will do. Mattress foam pad would work fine. I have a MKIIFV that I'm going to fill with spray foam insulation with bb's dropped in to add some weight to the rear end and balance it out. Until I put an adjustable cheek rest on mine I had a piece of corian countertop stuck in an old sock crammed in there. Worked great but won't fit now that I have cross tubes for the cheek piece.

One item to consider for the recoil pad, since recoil really is not a problem would be horse stall mat they sell at feed stores. It's crushed up tires and is extremely durable, gives a good amount of traction, and is easy to work with. Cut it with a bandsaw and sand it sort of like wood. Would give you a good bit of grip to keep the rifle shouldered and would be extremely durable.

I'm in the process of modifying my MKIIFV stock. Added the cheek rest and will soon rework the shape of the grip. I want more of the up/down feel that a Macmillan has. The cheek rest for me was a must since I'm using a 6-24x44 scope. The F stock is good for iron sights but stinks for scope.

As for the UFO, wouldn't venture a guess for anything over that crazy state.
cool.gif

Charlie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CharlieTN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Added the cheek rest and will soon rework the shape of the grip. I want more of the up/down feel that a Macmillan has.

</div></div>

Apologies here for the hijack, but how do you intend to do this? I'm in the midst of the same project and rejected the idea of changing the stock shape because I couldn't figure out how.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tim K</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CharlieTN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Added the cheek rest and will soon rework the shape of the grip. I want more of the up/down feel that a Macmillan has.

</div></div>

Apologies here for the hijack, but how do you intend to do this? I'm in the midst of the same project and rejected the idea of changing the stock shape because I couldn't figure out how. </div></div>

Found this stuff at Lowe's called Plastiquick or something like that. Basically a plastic putty that you knead to activate then shape. Had read about someone else doing this with good success so I'm going to try it. It's sort of white and found it in the section with the epoxies. It's made by JB Weld. I used their faststeel putty to shape the bolt handle to an oversize tactical knob. Love it. I'll try to get some photos.

Charlie