• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

New Savage TRR-SR

Jonas88

Private
Minuteman
Aug 12, 2019
Australia
Hey guys, long time lurker first time poster. Im from Australia & have just sighted in a brand new .22 Savage TRR-SR with a used (but great condition) Vortex Diamondback 4-16x42. I mounted the 25 MOA rail & scope myself & used Leupold PRW2 low rings. I sighted it in at 25 meters then 50 meters & finally 100 meters using CCI standard velocity. When I was happy with it I put up another target at 100 meters which is the one pictured (20 cent piece is there for comparison). It was a bit windy which was a shame but this was the result. Ive read the aftermarket DIP bottom receiver kit is a great upgrade for these rifles & will tighten groups so will be ordering one soon. Im also keen to run a few different brands of ammo through it including match grade to find out what it likes best. I would love to eventually step out to 200 meters with this rifle on a good day. What do you guys recon about the first shoot & do you any tips on improvement?

Attachments

• 49F81732-8F8D-4191-B0C3-2BF0082D4382.jpeg
    49F81732-8F8D-4191-B0C3-2BF0082D4382.jpeg
    225.5 KB · Views: 106
  • F7B60BD5-9AA1-4CE3-A99A-62340F716C59.jpeg
    F7B60BD5-9AA1-4CE3-A99A-62340F716C59.jpeg
    657.3 KB · Views: 98
Reactions: reubenski
I have a Savage MKii FVSR in a Boyd’s stock. Basically the same exact rifle you have with a 16” barrel. It is very accurate. The biggest thing that will make a difference in the accuracy is the quality of ammo you feed it. The only issue I have ever had with mine is the magazines. The Magazines Savage uses are total crap. Once they start to get a little warn you will have problems. Go ahead and do some research on how to fix the magazines because eventually you will need to. Magazines aside the MKii is one of the most accurate 22’s I have ever shot straight out of the box. I don’t know what Savage does but they defiantly do something right when it comes to their barrels.

Reactions: tinman52
I have a BTVLSS that shoots great but it took a few hundred rounds to settle in. The heavier bottom metal will make for a more solid foundation, I made mine out of 1/8" SS. Also try different torque settings on the action screws. A Rifle Basix trigger will make a huge difference over the factory trigger, at minimum install a Apachee trigger kit.

Thanks for the heads up on the mags Eoddave27..Ill definitely look into the issues they have. Ill grab a few different types of decent match grade ammo & head back out to the range Saturday morning.

Thanks 1badDart, Im going to order a thicker metal bottom receiver kit as soon as my import permit gets approved. Ill also have to get a torque screwdriver to make sure I do it properly instead of just guessing. Will also look into the trigger, thanks for the tip.

Great shooting rifle, I don't have the TRR SR, just the TR.
Here it is with Eley sport, action screws torqued to 40 in. Lbs.
1555359183732.jpg

This is with cheap Winchester super x (x22lr) same torque value
1555359256233.jpg

My only gripe was changing to the thicker bottom metal changed my grouping with the Winchester super x. Shot like shit after. Hope it doesn't do the same in yours, I'm not too upset though, only a bit because super x is so cheap

Attachments

• 1555359183732.jpg
    1555359183732.jpg
    525.6 KB · Views: 19
I just picked up the trr-sr 22lr, love the gun overall biggest complaint is the mags the gun came with on 5 rounder. It will cycle everything including cb shorts except for eley match for some reason on the last round of the eley it will not feed and hang up.

As far as groups at 50 yards I prob have less than a hundred rnds through it which includes the accuracy testing. My setup was a bipod and rear bag on a concrete bench, Eley and cci standard copper plated where usually one hole groups to half inch, it does seem to be picky on how you hold it whether loose or firm pressure. I'm going to order the bottom plate and see if that makes a difference and possibly look into bedding it.

I love that the rifle came with a rail even though it looks a bit on the goofy side with the rails hanging off the sides. The cb shorts are very quiet out of it and are not accurate at all at 50 yards they would be fun to shoot in the house at around 10 yards.

What are you guys using for bore guides?

I’ve never worried about it since I never cleaned mine ?. In all seriousness I just pull a bore snake through my rimfire rifles after each range session and that is it. I’m guessing you will hear the same from quite a few rimfire guys. I have rifles with 8-10k rounds down the tube with nothing more than a bore snake run through them and that shoot great.

Reactions: HMRamateur
I’ve never worried about it since I never cleaned mine ?. In all seriousness I just pull a bore snake through my rimfire rifles after each range session and that is it. I’m guessing you will hear the same from quite a few rimfire guys. I have rifles with 8-10k rounds down the tube with nothing more than a bore snake run through them and that shoot great.
That's all I've started doing with my TR also. Wax and carbon build up are all I'm worried about with it, and the boresnake takes care of that just fine. A little bit of hoppes on it every couple hundred rounds and it operates just fine

What about magazines, I've got the black 5 rounder that it came with I also picked up a 10 rnd stainless the last round always seems to hang up. Have you guys experienced these or any issues with the mags if so what was the fix? I'm thinking of putting a slight chamfer on the bottom half of the chamber entrance to act as a feed ramp where there normally would be one.