• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New SCAR 17s Range Report...

oneshot onekill

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2008
DeBary, Florida
ogck81.jpg

I just got my new SCAR 17s last week so I took it to the range on Saturday and here's how it went...

(I have video I shot with my iPad but my "Apple-fu" is lacking and I can't figure out how to download it... yet.)

I have a Leupold MK4 CQ/T 1-3x14 optic on it. I was shooting cheap PMC unidentified .308 ammo I bought at the Funshow 2 weeks ago (200rds) and some of my reloads (40rds) which were 168gr. SMK's with 42gr. of IMR4895 behind them stuffed into Full-Length Small-Base sized LC Match Brass with Winchester primers. OAL was 2.800". I was resting on a cheap Grip-pod.

Accuracy:

Surprisingly, the Leupold bore-sighted pretty damn close without any adjustments so I went ahead and started sending rounds downrange. I was shooting at 100yds. After zeroing it loosely at the 24"x24" gong with the cheap PMC ammo I took 5 shots at paper with my reloads. 3 of them were definitely sub-moa but the other 2 were flyers. One was about an inch out and the other about 3 inches out. I know that doesn't sound great but the flyers were definitely my fault because Number one: I was shooting a "new to me" Semi-auto when I almost exclusively shoot a Bolt-gun... and Number two: that damn trigger is about a-hundred-pounds compared to the one-and-a-half-pounds of my 40X's trigger! Anyway, my groups tightened up to MOA or better as the day went on and I got used to the trigger. This rifle is easily more accurate than my Supermatch M1A was. I moved to the 300yd line and only shot at the Gong there because 3X optics are not conducive to shooting groups at 300yds. I hit the gong with every shot of the cheap PMC ammo... relatively rapid-fire... and what surprised me most was that I put the dot in that scope just above the center of the gong. I was expecting to have to "hold-over" a lot more to hit it. For all I know I was just catching the bottom of the Gong... But I was hitting it!

Recoil:

The recoil is very manageable but not as light as a 5.56 AR. It's more of a snap than a kick or push. I was able to re-acquire very quickly.

Reliability:

The rifle was flawless in this area. I took it to the "plinking range" and did several 20 round Mag-Dumps. It ate the cheap ammo as well as my reloads without a single failure of any kind. I did notice however, that the forearm got uncomfortably hot after a Mag-dump. That was a little surprising. Fortunately, I had a Grip-pod on the rifle or this would have been more of an issue. I was even able to keep good control of my shots hip-firing as fast as I could with the stock folded.

Cleaning:

I took the rifle apart when I got home and it was surprisingly clean. The only area that was really "dirty" at all was the piston and gas-block area. I did notice quite a bit of brass shavings around the chamber, bolt carrier and trigger group which blew away with a shot from the air compressor. The bolt-carrier is coated black and I was pleasantly surprised to see that none of the black was scraped away exposing bare metal... Anywhere. Everything inside looked like new. No wear.

All in all I'm VERY happy with the FN SCAR 17s. It fills a niche quite nicely. It's a high-power, accurate, light, reliable rifle that's VERY handy. It kicks the 5.56 AR and M4's ass in being just as handy for CQ and more powerful and reliable. It kicks the tried and true .308 Battle rifle's ass in being more accurate and would be a lot easier to hump around all day. Not that I don't like AR's and .308 Battle rifles... I just found a replacement for both. That makes the $2700 price tag easier to swallow!

Thanks for reading...

Cheers,
John

PS: Anything I missed... Let me know and I'll try and address it

Re: New SCAR 17s Report...

It's good to know that it's working out for you. I am still on the fence, but want to take the jump.

I completely agree with you about it though, it's very similar to a G3 trigger and those are pretty bad. If you want to mess with the trigger I've heard from several people it's very simple to smooth up and polish into a much nicer trigger and reducing the trigger pull just requires cutting a few coils off the spring.

Nice report John

I just picked mine up last week and as soon as they lift the fire restrictions out here I will be off to the desert to get aquainted with mine.

Still trying to decide what to set up for a scope.

wes in AZ

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: was21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice report John

I just picked mine up last week and as soon as they lift the fire restrictions out here I will be off to the desert to get aquainted with mine.

wes in AZ </div></div>
Hind-sight being 20/20, I would get something with a little more magnification than my 1-3x. I probably should have gone with 3-9x.

I want one, but I have so many FALs that I keep asking myself when I would shoot it if I don't even use my FALs. But if I had no guns and was starting over, I would probably get one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot onekill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: was21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice report John

wes in AZ </div></div>
Hind-sight being 20/20, I would get something with a little more magnification than my 1-3x. I probably should have gone with 3-9x. </div></div>

I have a Leupy 2.5-8 Mk4 MRT w/308 dial that I am leaning toward.....

or moving my NF 2.5-10 from the AR10 over as it is a bit smaller.

Oh... I have one other observation I didn't mention because it's completely a Non-issue. Those that say the bolt handle is a problem because it reciprocates with the bolt... I have to wonder if you've ever actually shot a SCAR... Or if you've just seen videos of others shooting one because I never even noticed the bolt handle moving at all! Even doing hip-fire mag dumps. It never came close to hitting me. I never saw it moving.

Well.... I think it CAN be a problem. Its just a matter of when you run into it. Running my SCAR on an action course a number of times I never once had it hit my thumb. However, standing on a static range is when I actually finally had it happen, and more than once. I guess there is just something I have always done in my standing position that exposed itself only on a static range. Of course it goes without saying that you also must be well aware of the reciprocating handle on a right side barricade (if your handle is on the left side). So to say that it is completely a non issue I think is false. You ask if people have shot a SCAR, I ask you if you have shot yours enough?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shane45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well.... I think it CAN be a problem. Its just a matter of when you run into it. Running my SCAR on an action course a number of times I never once had it hit my thumb. However, standing on a static range is when I actually finally had it happen, and more than once. I guess there is just something I have always done in my standing position that exposed itself only on a static range. Of course it goes without saying that you also must be well aware of the reciprocating handle on a right side barricade (if your handle is on the left side). So to say that it is completely a non issue I think is false. You ask if people have shot a SCAR, I ask you if you have shot yours enough? </div></div>
Good points Shane... I have not used it on any kind of course yet so I see what you're saying. I should have made myself more clear. I was addressing those who claim it was a visual distraction... And those who said it hit them so I'm still not sure how your thumb got doinked...
... Wait a minute! I see it now. No vertical grip and holding it back near the magazine well. I can see how that could happen.

Is it really more accurate than your Super Match M1A? That is a big statement and it's not that I don't believe you I just would like to see some paper
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCas45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is it really more accurate than your Super Match M1A? That is a big statement and it's not that I don't believe you I just would like to see some paper
smile.gif
</div></div>
The first target I shot is in the video I'm having trouble downloading. I didn't take pictures of any others but I will the next time out. I think my issue with the M1A may just be the way it fits me. I'm pretty tall at 6'6" and the M1A is very cramped feeling to me. I was never able to get better than slightly over MOA with the Supermatch and I don't think it was all me. I had let others shoot it that are better shots than I am and got the same results. One gentleman asked me if I had ever taken the rifle out of the stock because you should never do that with a Supermatch M1A... I hadn't. He felt it just needed to be "tuned up" a bit. I was pleasantly surprised to find that when I raised the comb on the SCAR my cheek weld was perfect and with the stock fully extended it's just a little short for me but very tolerable.

I agree that I can see the reciprocating charging handle being an issue, especially in something like a CQB or firing from within a vehicle environment. That being said, I have fired the Mk 17 a bit and not had an issue with it yet. The ergonomics are a little awkward though and the handguards do heat up rather quickly.

Honestly though, one of the most annoying things during shooting has been the ringing noise that occurs after shooting it. Supposedly it comes from the flash suppresor prongs vibrating like a tuning fork. Seeing as the ones I fired are military issue I didn't try anything to stop the ringing, but a friend has a 5.56 version and said the ringing went away after he changed the flash hider/suppresor attachment.

I don't recall hearing any kind of ringing at all. In fact, one of the things that annoys me about AR's is the noise made by the buffer spring right next to my ear.

A small amount of lube on the outer circumference of the buffer spring will take care of the AR's annoying rattle.

Finally got out to the range on Saturday! Here's one of my 5-shot groups... Actually, the first one... It went up and down but mostly down-hill from there! Not the Rifle's fault. Completely mine!
34659o9.jpg