• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes New scope for custom gun

kcshooter308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 9, 2009
Kansas City
I just turned 18 in February and for my birthday I bought a ga precision m40a3. Now I'm looking for a scope to put on this magnificent rifle. Im thinking about a nightforce 3.5-15 f1 with the h58 reticle, or sucking it up and saving up for several months to get a s&b. So I guess the question I'm asking is, is it worth saving the extra money to get the s&b or should I just stick with the nightforce.

I mainly will use this for hunting, and Target shooting anywhere between 100-1000 yards and on occasion messing around out to 1200

Re: New scope for custom gun

Go look through as many as you can, then make up your mind. Thats the best advice I can give you over the interwebs.

When I was 18 and my eyes were good, I don't think I could have told you the difference in the two scopes. If that is the case with you, you could buy the NF and have several dollars left for ammo.

BTW, my eyes are not 18 and I'm using both the NF and S-B. The old eyes can tell the difference, that said, I'm glad there were some better scopes to move into as my eyes got older.

YMMV

These are pretty good too.

IMG_0444_3.jpg

Not that this helps too much but you did get an M40A3 so that should give you a hint right there as to what belongs on top.

Wish I had your money when I was 18. Enjoy the rifle and whatever scope you decide to get. Between those two choices, you can't go wrong.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kcshooter308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just turned 18 in February and for my birthday I bought a ga precision m40a3. Now I'm looking for a scope to put on this magnificent rifle. Im thinking about a nightforce 3.5-15 f1 with the h58 reticle, or sucking it up and saving up for several months to get a s&b. So I guess the question I'm asking is, is it worth saving the extra money to get the s&b or should I just stick with the nightforce.

I mainly will use this for hunting, and Target shooting anywhere between 100-1000 yards and on occasion messing around out to 1200 </div></div>

if....IF you are just target shooting or hunting you might find a SFP scope will serve you better.

Go look through as many as you can, then make up your mind.
g.gif

Thanks for the imput guys. I work 40 hours a week plus full time school so im not sure when i will be able to enjoy this rifle to the fullest but still nice to have to show the guys. i know its wrong of me to put any glass besides a s&b on a m40a3 but im not as wealthy as i would like so im always open to alternatives.

Yeah the best thing is look through through as many as possible then make up your mind I know it's hard to find a lot of high end optics too look through at once. If you can't decide what power you want what reticle, glass quality and if you want moa or mil and if weight is an issue, then you would have a good idea what to look for and of coarse price.

I agree with the above posts. Try to get behind as many as you can. You don't list where you are located but there are a lot of Hide members that would be glad to meet up with you and let you peer through their optics. I'm with RHutch cause I'm a Premier guy. Given the rifle that you purchased, an S&B would really finish it off. Check out the Vortex Razor, at 2 grand it might fit the bill nicely.

Edit: I'm dumb, your location is in your Hide name!

I would love to be able to check out some different brands of scopes. Ga precision is right down the road but I doubt they will let me look at any they have. If there is anyone in the Kansas city area that would allow me to view their scoped that would be awesome.

OP, I'm going with the buy once, cry once concept. Save up a few more months and get the S&B or the Premier and be happy with zero doubt in the future. If you go with a Nightforce you will always wonder, and that "wonder" will last more than just a few months.

Save up and do it right, cause hell, you already did it right on the rifle.

If I was spending $3,500 - $4,000 on a scope and I never planned on selling it. I would buy a March-FX 5x - 40x.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kcshooter308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would love to be able to check out some different brands of scopes. Ga precision is right down the road but I doubt they will let me look at any they have. </div></div>

Why the fuck not? You just spent close to 4k on one of their builds. It would be stupid on their part not to let you finger fuck a scope or two.

1. It's just good customer service.
2. They could see it as an investment of sorts cause once you get that bug and you're hooked there is no going back.

I'm pretty sure that if you called and explained your situation, they will accommodate you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slapchop</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kcshooter308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would love to be able to check out some different brands of scopes. Ga precision is right down the road but I doubt they will let me look at any they have. </div></div>

Why the fuck not? You just spent close to 4k on one of their builds. It would be stupid on their part not to let you finger fuck a scope or two.

1. It's just good customer service.
2. They could see it as an investment of sorts cause once you get that bug and you're hooked there is no going back.

I'm pretty sure that if you called and explained your situation, they will accommodate you. </div></div>

What ^ said!!