• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New scope ideas and a question

sschultz

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 11, 2012
MN
I have spent the better part of a year trying make a decision on what kind of scope I want to put on my 3 gun rifle. The short list is the Sightron 1-7 US Optics 1-8 and now the Burris 1.5-8. Looking at the Burris the FOV at 100 is horrible. My question is two scopes with similar magnification how come so much difference in FOV.
Schultz

The Burris is 1.5x where the others are true 1x; huge difference. Most 1.5x scopes are around 65-85 ft fov, the Burris is average/ lower pack as far as fov at 1.5x. True 1x needs to be looked at for anyone who hasn't compared them in person. It provides a seamless stereoscopic sight picture that our brains figure out really fast and makes for a flat and wide image and fov. It may not seem like that .5x should make that much difference, but it does. I shoot up close with a 2-7x on one of my carbines and it is pretty fast with practice, but my Triji 1-4x blows it away for fov, speed and ease. Several really nice 1x scopes out there, the Sightron and USO have my interest as well. For the money, you might want to check out the SS 1-6x, it is an excellent 3 gun optic too, IMO. If a guy had the money, the Swaro Z6i 1-6x is a thing of beauty!

I am shooting a Leatherwood CMR now. But would like to move up to a higher power. Currently I am using off set irons on my rifles up to 25 yards or they are fast. At 25 to 50 yards or so would the 1.5 slow me down.
Schultz

I don't think 1.5x would be a hinderance at all out past 25 yards. There are a few out there with a claimed 90' fov. I run a Triji RMR offset with my 2-7x and I find it a good combo. If you are liking the offset irons, you could probably even step up to a 2-10x or 2.5-10x and still be fine. Another 1x that gets rave reviews is the Razor Gen II 1-6x, If Jerry Miculek runs it, you know it's fast : )

I've been eye balling the Dual Focal Plane scopes from USO and IOR lately. And, the 1-10x March looks amazing except for the price.

Crosshair thats why the Burris caught my eye dual focal plane and I don't have to sell my house to buy one.
Schultz