• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New scope ideas

Cwm9

Private
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2022
USA
Learning to shoot long range.. I have a 308 lightweight rifle with a zeiss conquest 3-9x40mm (1 inch tube, height over bore is 1.8 inch duplex scope) I mainly use it for hunting, but I was wondering do I need a new scope with exposed turrets/bdc reticle for shooting longer range 400-1000 yards. Or the zeiss is plenty, just take off the caps and dial to the target range?

Not trying to break the bank or the weight scale because I still want to use rifle for hunting. Thanks for all help!

The general acceptable error in LR optics is approximately 1-2 clicks per 100 (ie 1-2%, eg, for shooting 10.0 mils dope@1,000 yds). You can test this via tall target test at 100 yds.

Last edited:
but I was wondering do I need a new scope with exposed turrets/bdc reticle for shooting longer range 400-1000 yards. Or the zeiss is plenty, just take off the caps and dial to the target range?
You can use your normal under the cap adjustment but it is far from convenient.

Get a dedicated LR rifle or at least a scope.

308 works well past 600 but past 800 it, and you, will struggle. And with that scope, will you see the target at all? (Depends on the reticule I suppose)...

Current scope has a duplex reticle. I probably go with a mildot. What's a good magnification 18x?

Get a dedicated LR rifle or at least a scope.

308 works well past 600 but past 800 it, and you, will struggle. And with that scope, will you see the target at all? (Depends on the reticule I suppose)...
Current scope has a duplex reticle. I probably go with a mildot. What's a good magnification 18x?

What’s your budget and weight limit for the scope?

Let’s start with those two things then go from there.

The magnification is not as critical as the reticule and a MILDOT might not be the best...

It seems you have a lot to learn, good that you are here asking questions.

Take what you've got and go to the range and see where your current set up limits your ability. Your scope might lack range of adjustment. Your bullet velocity might be too slow. Get experience to make informed decisions.

If you are planning on shooting a 1,000 at an organized rifle range, opposed to say going out to BLM land, see if the range has any practice sessions at 1,000 yards that are open to you. I say open to you as you may not be a member or some other issue. Assuming you are welcome at the 1,000 yard session go and see what others are shooting, some of the shooters may allow to you to shoot their rig or at least get behind the gun to evaluate the scope view.

Oftentimes when a club is running a practice session they may ask for help setting flags, targets, etc, if the do and you are there pitch in as shooters are far more apt to help you out if the opposite is true. I used to tell the shooters at the 1,000 yard practice sessions I would run that they do not get valet service and everyone should pitch in when asked for assistance.